Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #241
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Ex Atheist wrote View Post
Im afraid that none of them have answered my questions regarding proof for a naturalistic mechanism / process / source for the start of the universe / the necessary Physics Constants of over 150 / and Abiogenesis (the start of first life on earth) . There was one confession in Post #216 where the Responder said 'Atheism is not truth' ...to which I couldnt have said any clearer myself !
Could it possibly have gone unnoticed by you that you have not provided any "proof" for a non-naturalistic mechanism by which the universe was formed? You do realize that you have not demonstrated that there is anything "truthful" about your theistic claims, either? If so, what are you gloating about?

Of course, atheism is not some grand "truth." Indeed, you are the only one here claiming that that is what atheism purports to be. Atheism is simple incredulity as it pertains to the assertion of a God or gods. You have been told this numerous times, to no avail.

I realize that atheism (particularly as it pertains to non-belief in your specific conception of a god) is anathema to you and that it is an obvious threat to your carefully crafted house of cards, hence your need to make it into something far more sinster and complex than it actually is. However, you should know that atheism and science are not in cahoots. They are two separate things. You readily avail yourself (when it is convenient) to the latter, while shunning the former. And neither are atheism and hedonism nor atheism and religion synonymous.

Many Buddhists are atheists, but I do not share their religion nor their worldview. Many scientists are atheists, but I do not know even a fraction of what many diligent practioners in the various scientifc fields of endeavor know about the workings of the natural world. Here, in the 21st century, it does not take a great deal of scientific knowledge to be aware that all of the seeming "magic" to which we are heir is of entirely natural origins.

Furthermore, those who lack a belief in the purported gods of the Old and New Testaments are not required by any binding tenets to act as though they were selfish pigs without a sense of ethics or any moral guidance that would keep them from literally pissing on someone else's private church grounds, as one formerly rebellious Christian on this forum has admitted to doing.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #242
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Yes it is...but thats[sic] not the point. You have to show how non[sic] intelligent materials gave us specific and enormous detailed instructions as in the DNA Molecule,
Molecules have no volition and so cannot deliberately "give" us anything. Molecules and chemicals combine as they are observed to do because of the various forms of bonding.

The instructions in DNA are very simple and very tiny: what chemicals to add together to make amino acids and proteins.

Again and again you make the mistake of presuming a goal and then demanding to know how that goal was accomplished. Then you ignore the explanation you are given.

The chemicals in DNA did not combine to make a super-complex instruction book. They came together under the simple rules of chemical bonding which enable arbitrarily long polymer strings.
Quote:
how materials brought forth non[sic] materials things like reason, love, compassion, empathy, morality , and ethical frameworks.
A phenomenon called "emergent properties" is found in virtually all large collections of simple things. It expresses the simple fact that the number of patterns possible for simple combinations of material increases greatly as the number of items increases. Thus a molecule of water is not wet, but a hundred billion of them are. Wetness is not a property of any collection of hydrogen molecules or oxygen molecules but it emerges when they combine in large numbers.

So, intangible attributes of the complex system known as a human, including reason, memory, emotion, perception, reflex, skill, talent, are emergent attributes.

Society, love, hate, compassion, empathy, morality, ethics, bargaining, reward, punishment, courage, nobility, are emergent properties of groups of humans.

These emergent attributes naturally evolve along with the creatures they are part of. So today's highest moral standards are much improved over those of Bronze-age sand-kickers.
Quote:
How compilations of compilations of accidents from materials brought about a Universe to such a high degree of precise accuracy
Material, acting according to natural laws, has formed a universe, parts of which we can measure to a high degree of accuracy. That is no accomplishment for the material, is is just reality.

Why would you be surprised that the more perfect a circle, say, is made or found, the closer it conforms to the value of Pi? Pi is defined by parts of a perfect circle.
Quote:
and how dead chemicals from a 'soup pond' brought forth a living organsim[sic] with such information in it that it is equivalent to 1,000 volumes of encyclopedias.
Non-living chemicals can form living organisms. We know this by measuring the content of living organisms and finding chemicals. We know from our incredible success in breeding animals and plants, that beneficial variation will accumulate over time due to inheritance and selection. So your thousand volumes of encyclopedias grew by adding/replacing/deleting a few characters in each printing for three Billion printings.
You are a mutant. You have an average of over sixty mutations of your parent's DNA. You are not identical with your parents.
Quote:
Show that thereby demonstrating that your faith in atheism is credible.
Wrong question again. Nothing we have found in reality has caused or even suggested that we have faith in anything, certainly not that we have faith in the non-existence of god(s).

You may don a blindfold and go stumbling through life trying to follow directions in an ancient and absurd book if you really want to live and die that way. We prefer to engage reality and to force from it knowledge whose power has provided our health and prosperity.
Quote:
We are here to discuss atheism and its constructs and why any reasonable person should enroll in it.
Atheism has only one construct, if you wish to call it that, the knowledge that there has been to date, no reason to believe in any god(s).

We do not seek reasons not to believe in god(s). We do accept what the objective facts tell us about god(s), which is precisely nothing. If a god (not yours, but some god) invented the universe, some observable fact about it really ought to say so. However, every objective fact found so far indicates that nature and natural law are responsible for the whole colossal thing. Please identify one or more objective facts that unambiguously point to a god (not yours of course because yours is logically impossible).

Atheism is not some kind of religion that seeks members. You keep missing that point. You are deliberately unaware of the implicit truth of atheism, that atheists have no reason to believe in god(s).

I do not care how many people "enroll" in atheism, reasonable or otherwise; I just want theists and other irrational people to keep their irrationality to themselves and not inflict it, especially by law, on me or any other non-believer.

Our simple and tolerant message to all people is "believe anything you wish but keep religious irrationality out of public policy."

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #243
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Im not interested in your suggestions or defamation conclusions....only in you showing how atheism as a worldview is tenable. Please do so.
Being disrespected is a natural consequence of making irrational and frankly insulting demands on us. None of us care what you are interested in. And you get no praise for ignoring our civil and detailed explanations, chief among them, that atheist is not a worldview, a lifestyle or a religion. It is the lack of belief in god(s).

So you want to be a dick and yet not be responded to as a dick. That is an unreasonable demand and it makes you a demonstrated dick.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #244
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Show that thereby demonstrating that your faith in atheism is credible.
you thick cunt

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #245
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
you thick cunt
Don't be so generous. Unlike a cunt, he lacks depth and warmth.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #246
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Is there an atheist in here who can defend their position as rational , by properly answering what is already on the table as follows :

I assume you can tell that things such as the DNA molecule is anything but simple and has been compared to the complexity of the infrastructure of any major city ... so could you please tell us by what atheistic natural event or process the DNA molecule came about fully formed and functioning ?
And this just goes to show how far you are from understanding the topics of basic genetics and evolution.

The DNA molecule never came about "fully formed and functioning." I'd just suggest you google "evolution of DNA", but many of the hits are creationist bullshit. Here is a link to a good article on the ties that bind DNA and Darwinian evolution.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #247
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Here is a link to a good article on the ties that bind DNA and Darwinian evolution.
Now that is an excellent read - but far beyond the intellect and will of our trolling tard I fear.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #248
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Like all other people who proclaim themselves as 'atheists', I believed in a personal Theistic Creator...
Oh my, that has to be the dumbest thing you've said yet (and that is quite an achievement).

Sweet Jeebus, you are such a moron! You've earned yourself a spot in the Galactically Stoopid Theist Quotes thread. Congrats!
Quote:
... as even Dawkins admitted to...
Please point out where Dawkins admits that, you dishonest prick.
Quote:
<more crap showing Ex Thinker was never an atheist, doesn't know what the term means, and is a complete imbecile>

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #249
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

When this idiot takes a shit - he doesn't have the intelligence to work out where to wipe.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #250
nkb

Quote:
There was one confession in Post #216 where the Responder said 'Atheism is not truth' ...to which I couldnt have said any clearer myself !
I have a confession as well: Atheism is not pudding either! There, I said, I feel much better now.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. It's not "truth", it's not "pudding", it's not even the footlong dildo you ram in your ass every night.

How much simpler can we make it for you?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #251
nkb

Quote:
1. You havent given any proof for your constructs , so im going to go ahead and ask you to one more time. It doesnt matter how silly they seem....just list them then we can dialogue on them.
Indeed. No matter how silly your evidence for your God may seem, just list it and we can talk about it.
Quote:
Because i live in a society along with you and immorality spreads like wildfire ... it DOES ultimately affect me and many others too.
Please elaborate, how does this immorality affect you?

Let's say those dirty gays keep doing dirty gay stuff, how does that affect you and the others? Do you feel compelled to start doing dirty gay stuff as well? Have you been having urges?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #252
nkb

Quote:
...if youre going to commit your entire life to the following of something, the least you could do is share why it is credible and truthful to engage in.
Indeed. So, how are you coming along on that evidence for your God?

Oh, by the way, you just made it another thread: The Repository of Quotes By Galactically Self-Awareness Lacking Theists thread. Once again, congratulations!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #253
nkb

Is Ex Thinker working off a long checklist of theist fallacies and non-sequiturs? Seriously, is there a logical fallacy he hasn't used yet?

I've seen Argument from Ignorance, Argument from Awesomeness, Argument from Authority, Pascal's Wager. Has he missed any?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #254
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Im[sic] asking you to PROVE that atheist constructs of materialism and naturalism which you DO believe in and think are credible ; Im[sic] asking you to prove a positive -- not that God does not exist. Please list your evidence which is why you choose atheism instead of another religion. Afterall[sic], it isnt[sic] faith-based it is ???
Quite right that atheism is based on facts, not faith.
Therefore we do not "believe" in it; we refer to the simple fact that there is no factual information to support the existence of god(s). That is all there is to it. Don't accept things on faith for which there is no evidence.

Of course we are all born atheist, that is, without a belief in god(s). We are born curious and, when we become able to, we ask questions. That does not imply that we have any knowledge of god(s), especially not of your peculiar God (MNQB).

I will make a conjecture, completely speculative, that no-one ever believed in a god without having been told about a god by someone else. The first gods were heroes and leaders with inflated resumes.

If you want to also discuss materialism, which is different from atheism, materialism is merely inferential logic applied to the available accumulated objective facts, which are all we know about the nature of reality.

Credibility for materialism can be found in the operation of your computer and every other physical operation you perform that accomplishes what you can expect it to. If you stub your toe on a curb, that's materialism in action. If you stub your toe on an angel, that is imagination and credulity, not reality.

I expect physical and chemical and nuclear processes to continue to work as we have discovered them to. I do not expect there to be any supernatural events that deviate from the known behaviors of materials under natural forces because there have, so far, been none. I do not at all reject the supernatural; I am in fact eager to see some objective evidence of anything supernatural.

(You don't really believe that "Parting of the Red Sea" silliness or that Egyptian god Ra created the world from semen or that God (MNQB) created the universe from nothing, do you?)

Naturalism is nothing more than recognition that nothing other than natural material and natural forces have been discovered since people began seriously looking.

It may be worth noting that, if God (MNQB) accomplishes His divine plan through strictly natural means ("His wonders to perform"), it is logically and functionally identical to nature doing it without Him and without a plan.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #255
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
About time he showed us how you can try to be an atheist?? For a good 10 years don't you know. He seems to think that getting angry at a God who does not exist is atheism. I have already asked what made him turn from non belief in a God to being a Christian fundie. Maybe an answer will surface.
Maybe it was the miracle of the dodgy oysters and their chunky aftermath.