Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #286
clambake
shred

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You are wrong. Once it is consecrated, it is and remains the body of Christ--no ifs, no ands, no buts. It doesn't matter who believes it or not. It is disposed of in special ways, if it becomes necessary to (if it is dropped on the floor, for example).
You are probably correct, it was likely a personal rationalization I had necessarily acquired in order to keep my brain from melting.

Quote:
You were raised Catholic? Man, I have always heard that catechesis in this country has stunk ever since Vatican II but thought it an exaggeration. Of course, Studge is exhibit A but I always supposed he was just some weird exception. But if you were raised Catholic and don't even know that the Host is always the body and blood of Christ, I guess it really is true.
It's probable my Catholic education was shoddy by historical standards, but as I suggested above I found myself constantly having to reconcile what I was taught with what I observed. For instance the whole "rich folks ain't getting into heaven" and noticing the congregation flaunting their riches without embarrassment and other similar behavioral contradictions.

I can't recall the specifics but I know the whole "host is the B of C" was drilled into me, and I immediately wondered about the whole chewing swallowing and shitting out part that stops every rationally thinking person in their tracks. That probably lead to my interpretation, which frankly makes more god-like sense. What kind of allegedly all-powerful being would allow his body to be so easily abused anyway?

Quote:
Of course, you could also have used your head. If the Communion wafer is only the body and blood, if the individual thinks so, why would anyone have raised an objection to the college dolt's action in the first place? Why would it hit the media? Why would the Catholic League get involved? Why would Myers, in a fit of adolescent glee, ask his morally stunted readers to steal some for him?

Why? Why? Why?
Well see thing is I did use my head and figured no all powerful being would be as stupid and thoughtless as to allow his precious host to be so easily abused. I also used my head to figure that an all powerful being wouldn't give a flying fuck about anything corporeal.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #287
Barney

Location: This Jewel sat in a silver sea; England, my England
Quote:
Single Serving Jack wrote View Post
I lost count how many times in this thread I had to ask a simple question before finally getting a straight answer, .
At least you were not simply ignored

Theres many reasons for ignoring someone, but in this case, it seems pretty clear.
The Catholic church hasnt considered that each and every time the Eucharist is eaten, then by natural processes it is eliminated from the body.

Perhaps they do need to consider taking more care of their shit and offering it the respect it is due. For evil-smelling though it may be,every sunday it contains the substance of the Lord. Is that something they should flush down a sewer? Shouldnt it be placed in a gold covered box or something?

"If you can wait 2000 years for Mr Christ, I can wait 19 years for John Frum" High Preist :- Church of John Frum 1952
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #288
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You are wrong. Once it is consecrated, it is and remains the body of Christ--no ifs, no ands, no buts. It doesn't matter who believes it or not. It is disposed of in special ways, if it becomes necessary to (if it is dropped on the floor, for example).
Fabulous, we now have a testable proposition that relates to a core belief of catholicism. You once asked me what evidence I would deem sufficient to change my mind about the existence of god. Well, if crackers could be repeatedly observed changing from their initial salty nature to some sort of fleshy substance after the appropriate incantation I might be convinced. Since any catholic priest can apparently do this it should be a simple matter to repeat the experiment all over the world and confirm the results. Let the testing begin so that the love of Jesus can come to all.

By the way, I'm a bit surprised that you would discard magic jesus flesh just because it fell on the floor. I mean I know you eat god every week but it still seems a bit disrespectful to throw it away. Do you at least observe the 5 second rule?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #289
Lily

As Father T explained it, no one wants to eat something that has fallen on the floor. This was an insight that just could never have dawned on anyone without his 40 years of experience. I was seriously impressed.

However, we don't just throw it away. We dispose of it in a respectful manner. Think of the way one respectfully discards a flag. (Pretend for a moment that you, (whoever you reading this is) understand and agree with exercising whatever minimal civic virtue is demonstrated by doing the matter properly). There are protocols in place.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #290
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Quote:
Barney wrote View Post
At least you were not simply ignored

Theres many reasons for ignoring someone, but in this case, it seems pretty clear.
The Catholic church hasnt considered that each and every time the Eucharist is eaten, then by natural processes it is eliminated from the body.

Perhaps they do need to consider taking more care of their shit and offering it the respect it is due. For evil-smelling though it may be,every sunday it contains the substance of the Lord. Is that something they should flush down a sewer? Shouldnt it be placed in a gold covered box or something?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #291
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

What if you spill Jebus' blood on the floor? What is the proper protocol for wiping it up?

What if the church is carpeted? Is Jesus consigned to reside permanently in the church's shag?

What if you spill Jebus' blood on your shirt? How should you wash it?

Also, has anyone ever choked to death on Eucharist? If so, would anyone blame me if I laughed?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #292
Choobus
I Live Here

In general I too eschew eating items from the floor. If I drop a buttered muffin and it lands face down then it, along with the dog hairs and christ knows what else, is going in the bin. But if it was a magic muffin I'd eat it no matter what. It's got to be worth getting a few unwanted hairs stuck in your teeth to get to eat a magic muffin.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #293
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I ate a magic brownie on Saturday (had to: I was about to dump twelve bucks on Hellboy II). If I'd dropped it on the rug I would have been sucking carpet faster than Ellen Degeneres at a volleyball game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #294
Lily

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
In general I too eschew eating items from the floor. If I drop a buttered muffin and it lands face down then it, along with the dog hairs and christ knows what else, is going in the bin. But if it was a magic muffin I'd eat it no matter what. It's got to be worth getting a few unwanted hairs stuck in your teeth to get to eat a magic muffin.
It isn't necessary. If you drop the wafer, the priest or Eucaristic minister will give you another.

I didn't answer your other point, about the testable proposition. Of course, I did earlier-- post 44 (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/show...1&postcount=44) At least the last 200 messages have been totally useless noise, since everything worth saying about this situation was dealt with in the first 3 or 4 pages. that's what always happens when people whose wish is to disrupt and mock won't pay attention and think about what has been written.

So really, Choobus. You can't dare take a break. You must read everything, every day in order to keep up, so that you can ignore the time wasters as I do-- or try to do.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #295
Professor Chaos

Shorter Choobus (et. al.): If the cracker is literally Jesus, it should be scientifically testable.

Shorter Lily: No itz not cuz itz magic.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #296
Single Serving Jack
A caricature

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Shorter Choobus (et. al.): If the cracker is literally Jesus, it should be scientifically testable.

Shorter Lily: No itz not cuz itz magic.
No Prof, keep up - it's substance theory

Lily I'd still like to hear more about that.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day" - Douglas Adams
Single Serving Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #297
Lily

Don't hold your breath, SSJ. I am finished with this thread. Everything intelligent that anyone had to say was said in the first three, maybe four pages. The rest has been pure noise. I am finished with responding to that.

That includes your "substance theory". And mind you, it is yours. If you really want to know more, start with the Catholic Encyclopedia to which I have referred you all many times. It is really time for you to do some work of your own.

I realize it would be more fun if I tried to respond so that you could sneer and mock. But guess what? I'm not in the mood tonight, dear.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #298
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

I realize it would be more fun if I tried to respond so that you could sneer and mock. But guess what? I'm not in the mood tonight, dear.
No, clearly not. 5,000+ posts of sheer nonsense, virtually all of them mocked and sneered at. But no, she's not in the mood "tonight."

(11:30 AM is night in Alabama?)

Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #299
Livingstrong

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Don't hold your breath, SSJ. I am finished with this thread. Everything intelligent that anyone had to say was said in the first three, maybe four pages. The rest has been pure noise. I am finished with responding to that.

That includes your "substance theory". And mind you, it is yours. If you really want to know more, start with the Catholic Encyclopedia to which I have referred you all many times. It is really time for you to do some work of your own.

Huh? It's still morning. Even in the most Southern and Eastern areas of the US.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #300
crest

The pace of conversation on this forum is astounding. I pop on every so often when I get 5 minutes to myself at work to discover 7+ posts to the thread. Get back to work!