Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Search function, multiple words

Am I missing something obvious in the search function?

In the old software, you could search on combinations of words by putting an "AND" between them (for example, "needle AND dick", which would have brought up ILJ's posts, I'm sure), but it appears to default to an "OR" with this software.

Very frustrating when you're searching on a combination of very common words.

Any insights?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Chris
Please vote!

What you're referring to is boolean and it seems to be working. Try searching for "boolean AND not working" without quotes. You should see "Search: Key Word(s): boolean, -working".

If you're not happy about your results through the forum you could try searching the site with google using a bookmarklet. I use it all the time for lots of sites.

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
nkb
He who walks among the theists

That is what I tried.

Before I started a thread on a religious survey by the Pew Forum, I wanted to see if anyone had already mentioned it, so I searched on "pew AND forum".
It spit up every mention of "forum", which is quite a few.

Incidentally, I just noticed that it is not finding my recent thread, where I do mention "Pew Forum". I tried searching with and without capitalization, and no luck.

Is "pew" too short?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote