Old 02-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Choobus
I Live Here

Physics

The American Physical Society (of which I am a member) has made some papers available for free, with really good commentary. I highly recommend it.

The new free online publication Physics (physics.aps.org) was launched last year to inspire readers to learn more about exciting developments in physics, whether inside or outside their own subfield.

http://physics.aps.org/

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Tenspace
I Live Here

Physics. Fuck yeah.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
psychodiva
I Live Here

Thanks Choobs

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I struggled to scrape an A-level in 1973.
Any chance of a translation service for someone hard-of-intelligence?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
The American Physical Society (of which I am a member) has made some papers available for free, with really good commentary. I highly recommend it.

The new free online publication Physics (physics.aps.org) was launched last year to inspire readers to learn more about exciting developments in physics, whether inside or outside their own subfield.

Thanks, Choobus. It looks great and I fear the extinction of any of my remaining discretionary time if I become addicted to it, as seems likely.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
MrProLiant

Sweet! Thanks for the info Choobus. I'm not going to see my family for days while I'm reading through all of that!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post

Thanks. Appreciate the information. I am a non scientist and really hopeless at maths - to my lasting regret. However, I read New Scientist, Scientific American and my latest favourite Scientific American Mind. I just love anything on multiple universes, dark matter, size of the galaxy, the local galaxies and so on, black holes, string theory and that bloody cat that was alive and dead at the same time, quantum stuff. I just grasp enough to have a sense of wonder as I am utterly crap at maths, chemistry and the rest.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Tenspace
I Live Here

I don't know if this belongs in a physics thread, since it is about String Theory, but apparently physicists think they're now able to provide testable predictions:

A First: String Theory predicts an experimental result

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
whoneedscience

There's one interesting article there I can actually comment on.

Metamaterials are materials made out of periodic structures that act like atoms or molecules in naturally occurring materials, except on a scale large enough to modify - around the wavelength of microwaves at a few centimetres, generally. The most common structure is a "split ring resonator" (picture (a) in the article), which has been used in the past to achieve both a negative permittivity and permeability (which together determine the index of refraction) to make an "invisibility cloak" (worthless feat designed to intrigue the masses - even if you could make one, the outside world would be equally invisible to you).

This work takes that split-ring structure and twists it so that it's the equivalent of looking at it from a high angle. This pinwheel shape is interesting because it's similar to a chiral molecule like sugar. Chiral molecules can weakly rotate the polarization of light (as does this pinwheel), but what this work shows is that if you could nano-engineer a large molecule with the same effect but a hundred or so times stronger, you could possibly get something with a negative index in the visible spectrum.

Make something with a negative index and a low enough loss, and you could maybe make a real invisibility cloak... if you were illuminated by light that was exactly the right wavelength and polarization. More interestingly, you could image at less than the diffraction limit, and do a number of other cool things.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
Tenspace
I Live Here

Detecting Quantum Entanglement With The Human Eye - arxiv.org, arXiv:0902.2896v1[quant-ph] - .PDF File

We show theoretically that the multi-photon states obtained by cloning single-photon qubits via stimulated emission can be distinguished with the naked human eye with high efficiency and fidelity. Focusing on the "micro-macro" situation realized in a recent experiment [...], where one photon from an original entangled pair is detected directly, whereas the other one is greatly amplified, we show that performing a Bell experiment with human-eye detectors for the amplified photon appears realistic, even when losses are taken into account.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
Sternwallow
I Live Here

"We show theoretically..." and "appears realistic". Well, that pretty much locks it in for me! I will start shopping right away for a set of Entanglement Vision Goggles.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I struggled to scrape an A-level in 1973.
Any chance of a translation service for someone hard-of-intelligence?
I 2nd that. Wish I was a mensa not a densa.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
"We show theoretically..." and "appears realistic". Well, that pretty much locks it in for me! I will start shopping right away for a set of Entanglement Vision Goggles.
"We show theoretically that the multi-photon states obtained by cloning single-photon qubits via
stimulated emission can be distinguished with the naked human eye with high efficiency and fidelity"

That does sort of annoy me. Showing theoretically what can be seen by the "naked human eye" is a bit like demonstrating mathematically that fucking is statistically better than wanking.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #14
Tenspace
I Live Here

Well, the next step is to 'show experimentally.'

How's that going to work?

"Okay, there! Did you see it?"
"Umm.. I think it was a green photon."
"That means the guy at the other end just saw a red photon! Woot!"

I think they just wanted to see if they could get a paper published where they used "stimulated emission" and "naked human" in the same sentence.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #15
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Well, the next step is to 'show experimentally.'

How's that going to work?

"Okay, there! Did you see it?"
"Umm.. I think it was a green photon."
"That means the guy at the other end just saw a red photon! Woot!"

I think they just wanted to see if they could get a paper published where they used "stimulated emission" and "naked human" in the same sentence.