Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #76
Lily

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
as one who did actually work with criminals for a few years and only just stopped working with them I think you are wrong- I do not support the death penalty - the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent therefore it is merely used in vengeance - which I believe is ethically and morally wrong.
There are reasonable arguments to be made against the death penalty but a supposed lack of deterrence isn't one of them. If a criminal doesn't commit a crime because he fears getting the death penalty, what sort of research could you do, to find that out? It is mighty hard to prove a negative.

We do have a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that is interesting. Ted Bundy, a rather notorious serial killer, moved to Florida when he began to think his current state was getting a little to close to figuring out who the killer in their midst was. He chose Florida, he said, because it didn't have the death penalty. He was, I am mighty pleased to say, wrong about that and is now rotting away tormenting the worms, no doubt. He is not the first to have admitted to choosing a non-death penalty venue, in order to carry out murders. It is anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but that is better than evidence based on nothing.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #77
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

my main area of work was at falconer school for boys. 11-16 all offenders unable to get mainstream eductation. also did work for herts county souncil in francis coomb schools millstream project, a lot of those kids ( up to 18) had suffered various levels of abuse as well as your out and out delinquents. i also worked alongside the council in hertforshire with the parents of a lot of the kids i worked with, many were ex prisoners or offenders. what i learnt from those who worked alongside me was very very interesting and did away with any liberal thinking that i posessed, and that was a lot. you cannot polish a turd so dont go on about rehabilitation anyone that doesnt want to come accross too naive. a lot of these people are just made that way for whatever reason and cost society so much ( sometimes in life as well as money). we should all work towards perfecting our forensic technology and then spend less time making excuses to not do what is so plainly obvious to those who wish to dammage our fragile society so badly.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #78
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
my main area of work was at falconer school for boys. 11-16 all offenders unable to get mainstream eductation. also did work for herts county souncil in francis coomb schools millstream project, a lot of those kids ( up to 18) had suffered various levels of abuse as well as your out and out delinquents. i also worked alongside the council in hertforshire with the parents of a lot of the kids i worked with, many were ex prisoners or offenders. what i learnt from those who worked alongside me was very very interesting and did away with any liberal thinking that i posessed, and that was a lot. you cannot polish a turd so dont go on about rehabilitation anyone that doesnt want to come accross too naive. a lot of these people are just made that way for whatever reason and cost society so much ( sometimes in life as well as money). we should all work towards perfecting our forensic technology and then spend less time making excuses to not do what is so plainly obvious to those who wish to dammage our fragile society so badly.

So you worked at a school for kids with emotional and behavioural difficulties, then for your local authority which involved meeting the parents of the same kids, some of whom were criminals. This, in your view, encompasses "working with offenders for years" and gave you sufficient insight into crime, punishment and rehabilitation to come up with... well the post above says it all. Do your talents have no beginning?

One man's strawman is another man's asshole.
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #79
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Are you sure you don't want to be his buddy, Waddlie? He's practically crying out for help.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #80
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Are you sure you don't want to be his buddy, Waddlie? He's practically crying out for help.
The kind of help required involves straightjackets and heavy sedation, I'm afraid.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #81
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #82
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

hmmmm in what way? they were criminal, as were the parents and entourage ( especially travellers). i, and others worked alongside poeple who were sexual offenders ( yes these people do have kids). als drug dealers, criminal gangs and also visited prison institutes with the kids who were visiting either mum or dad. what experience have you got for your own opinions guys?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #83
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

I work for an organisation which helps people from all walks of life, included convicted murderers, rapists and paedophiles, hold law enforcement agencies accountable when they have been mistreated. I have also volunteered for an organisation which offers emotional support to people in despair, including working with convicted and remand prisoners, and I am now on the Independent Monitoring Board of my local prison.

I'm not normally a fan of credential-flouting, but I think I win this particular pissing contest.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #84
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

none, yet your opinions are worth more because??? ahhhh theyre liberal and useless. oh ok im so fucked lol
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #85
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

what s the organisation
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #86
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

If I was Waddlie, I'd tell you to fuck off and mind your own business - but hey, that's just my opinion.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #87
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

My opinions are liberal and useless? You might want to go back through this thread and find where, exactly, I've given my opinions on the death penalty. I admit I was probably wrong about you lying about your work experience; you're so illiterate I got old of the wrong end of the stick. My apologies. If you really think I'm dumb enough to post on a forum like this who I'm employed by, you're even more retarded than I thought...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #88
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

what do you do when you say working with. i councilled as well as set programmes for ex offenders, juvenile offenders/delinquents parents of offenders to follow. i also worked alongside people who spent much of their time working with high security prisoners, ie murderers rapists, ad watched in awe as their student like idealism was slowly drained from them.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #89
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

exactly you are talking rollocks my old custard tart
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #90
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

i would assume from the fact you are arguing with my stance that you take a different one. if im wrong i appologise, but i doubt it. unless you just like to argue.