Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #76
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
It's only pointless as you devoutly consider your lack of belief to be passive.

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
The irony is I have reached no conclusion due to the lack of evidence

It's the quote that keeps on giving, apparently.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #77
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

You struggle with no conclusion. No conclusion also includes that which you dismiss without knowledge of what is.

Enter leprechauns....you guys are so funny.

meh
selliedjoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #78
Saturday

Quote:
You struggle with no conclusion. No conclusion also includes that which you dismiss without knowledge of what is.
The words you type are utterly baffling. They don't make any sense. It's as if you don't know what it means to be religious or to be an atheist or the difference between types of atheism.

I'm going to assume Michael's quote of you is legitimate. If that's what you actually said, "The irony is I have reached no conclusion due to the lack of evidence" - that is called implicit weak atheism. You are an implicit weak atheist if that is true. Now if you think there shouldn't be a word that describes "not reaching a conclusion due to a lack of evidence" then that's another matter. But you are an implicit weak atheist by the definition while most of RAF I'm assuming is explicit weak atheist with maybe a few being explicit strong atheist.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #79
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Coming to a place to actively assert your lack of belief in something is a fruitless activity. Perhaps it's some form of penance you feel you owe your past, who else would bother.
We come here to assert a lack of belief in a fairly specific and prevalent claim. It's not for penance that we show up here. It's for commiseration, which is not at all a fruitless endeavor. Of course, the good will that we extend to each other is often interrupted by the rampant and relentless trolling of others.

But that has always been the price of admission here.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #80
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
I'm going to assume Michael's quote of you is legitimate.
For context.

Also, by all means try to explain to him how not believing puts you into that column, but I doubt you'll succeed. It's been done before, aleit in a thread that was ultimately deleted some time ago. If I remember correctly, the response is something like "I don't believe, but I don't not believe" (hence the comments about double negatives). He doesn't learn, refuses to learn. Only wants to argue.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #81
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Saturday wrote View Post
The words you type are utterly baffling. They don't make any sense. It's as if you don't know what it means to be religious or to be an atheist or the difference between types of atheism.

I'm going to assume Michael's quote of you is legitimate. If that's what you actually said, "The irony is I have reached no conclusion due to the lack of evidence" - that is called implicit weak atheism. You are an implicit weak atheist if that is true. Now if you think there shouldn't be a word that describes "not reaching a conclusion due to a lack of evidence" then that's another matter. But you are an implicit weak atheist by the definition while most of RAF I'm assuming is explicit weak atheist with maybe a few being explicit strong atheist.
You can call me whatever you want. I don't identify as an atheist, the constant redefining of atheism to granular levels lacks any actual value. By virtue of that all people would be some form of atheist, so you render the word useless. For example, Christians don't believe Allah is god etc. I'm talking about being agnostic towards how existence came to be.

"You struggle with no conclusion. No conclusion also includes that which you dismiss without knowledge of what is." means you feel you must decide, but you have no knowledge of what to decide and why. Strangely you dismiss concepts without any tangible idea of what you're dismissing.

You attempt to appear knowledgeable despite the odd contradiction of admitting you don't know. Makes no sense. Sure you can claim atheism, based on what a Christian claims, but who gives a fuck? Most people have gone beyond that simple responsive stance.

meh
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #82
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
For context.

Also, by all means try to explain to him how not believing puts you into that column, but I doubt you'll succeed. It's been done before, aleit in a thread that was ultimately deleted some time ago. If I remember correctly, the response is something like "I don't believe, but I don't not believe" (hence the comments about double negatives). He doesn't learn, refuses to learn. Only wants to argue.
You have nothing to teach.

meh
Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #83
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
We come here to assert a lack of belief in a fairly specific and prevalent claim. It's not for penance that we show up here. It's for commiseration, which is not at all a fruitless endeavor. Of course, the good will that we extend to each other is often interrupted by the rampant and relentless trolling of others.

But that has always been the price of admission here.
If it's prevalent where you live and you struggle with it, I suggest you leave.

Having lived in the UK and Oz there's barely a whimper from theists, so I have no idea what commiseration those who come here from those countries come here for.

meh
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #84
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:

Having lived in the UK and Oz there's barely a whimper from theists, so I have no idea what commiseration those who come here from those countries come here for.

There is so much wrong with what you just wrote, I am unsure where to begin.

Let's start with

Quote:
Why the fuck should he? To imply that HE is the one that should leave if the situation is to imply that he is the one in the wrong, and subsequently that those imposing said situation are implicitly, and wholly, in the right. It's giving them a free pass to say or do whatever they want in a religious context.

That's like me walking behind you in the street and pushing you from behind every once in a while, and when you complain someone else tells you "Hey, if you don't like it, walk on the other side of the street".
Would you move to the other side of the street? If you wouldn't, then fuck off with your bullshit here.

Secondly

Quote:
Having not lived in the UK, I can't comment on that, but being an Australian citizen I'll tell you that's full of shit, also.

It's true, there is less than in America, but "barely a whimper"? No. In primary school, from years 1-6, we had a weekly mandatory-unless-your-parents-signed-you-out-of-it Scripture class, where a "community volunteer" would come in and was given free-reign over impressionable children to preach about the bible.

But hey, that's barely a whimper.

Until last year, the Federal Government had a policy that funded religious chaplains to work as in-school social workers, rather than trained, secular professionals.

Again, I can barely hear the whimpering religion over the sound of all that secularism.

Our previous Prime Minister may have been openly atheist, but she had also openly declared that she would not support gay marriage because it went against the bible.

Whimper, whimper, whimper.

An embarrasingly large amount of our Federal Funding for schools goes to Private Schools - which is made up almost entirely of Religious Schools.
In fact, in the recent State Election where I live, one of the parties ran with an election promise to remove a portion of funding from public schools in the state to give to private schools - of which 100% in the state are religious in nature.

Military ceremonies held on government owned ground, run by government-funded bodies (I'm talking the Australian War Memorial here), events at which school children are often invited to attend (including ANZAC day ceremonies, amongst many others), are always led with Christian prayers, and ended as such.

And this is just the start of it.

No, you're right, we have nothing to protest about in Australia.
Or maybe you think that's all fine, and we should just leave? Perhaps I could come over and see you, Jerry.

Or perhaps you can just fuck off with your bullshit.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #85
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Am I harming you by posting here? If so, how? I don't impose my atheism on anyone outside of this forum. I respect the right of others to live within the strictures of their own religious values so long as they are not imposing those values on me and unwilling others.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to mind your own business and avoid this forum if my commiseration with others here bothers you?

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote
Apparently, they disagree with your assessment of the situation in both the UK and Ozzie Land. Perhaps, you, for your own personal reasons, are tone deaf to the impositions and slights that they perceive as atheists in their respective home countries. If you truly have no idea what they're bitching about or what they're commiserating over, you might be the one engaged in a fruitless mission here.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #86
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
There is so much wrong with what you just wrote, I am unsure where to begin.
There's your typical melodramatic first sentence.

Quote:
Why the fuck should he? To imply that HE is the one that should leave if the situation is to imply that he is the one in the wrong, and subsequently that those imposing said situation are implicitly, and wholly, in the right. It's giving them a free pass to say or do whatever they want in a religious context.
If he's in the minority and being persecuted or imposed upon and doesn't like it, he should leave. It's very simple. Right and wrong don't enter the equation. If you really feel like launching a crusade (pardon the pun) maybe go to Afghanistan and oppose the Taliban.

Quote:
That's like me walking behind you in the street and pushing you from behind every once in a while, and when you complain someone else tells you "Hey, if you don't like it, walk on the other side of the street".
Would you move to the other side of the street? If you wouldn't, then fuck off with your bullshit here.
You and your simple analogies, if you're getting hit by multiple people constantly then most people apart would eventually leave. Do you try to get on a train when everyone gets off too?

Quote:
Having not lived in the UK, I can't comment on that, but being an Australian citizen I'll tell you that's full of shit, also.

It's true, there is less than in America, but "barely a whimper"? No. In primary school, from years 1-6, we had a weekly mandatory-unless-your-parents-signed-you-out-of-it Scripture class, where a "community volunteer" would come in and was given free-reign over impressionable children to preach about the bible.
Miy kids are taught the same thing, I've told them that's what some people believe. That's right it's a whimper. Good example though

Quote:
But hey, that's barely a whimper.

Until last year, the Federal Government had a policy that funded religious chaplains to work as in-school social workers, rather than trained, secular professionals.

Again, I can barely hear the whimpering religion over the sound of all that secularism.

Quote:
Our previous Prime Minister may have been openly atheist, but she had also openly declared that she would not support gay marriage because it went against the bible.

Whimper, whimper, whimper.
The Chinese are also very anti-gay as well, your implication of religion as a cause is simple.

Quote:
An embarrasingly large amount of our Federal Funding for schools goes to Private Schools - which is made up almost entirely of Religious Schools.
In fact, in the recent State Election where I live, one of the parties ran with an election promise to remove a portion of funding from public schools in the state to give to private schools - of which 100% in the state are religious in nature.

Military ceremonies held on government owned ground, run by government-funded bodies (I'm talking the Australian War Memorial here), events at which school children are often invited to attend (including ANZAC day ceremonies, amongst many others), are always led with Christian prayers, and ended as such.

And this is just the start of it.

No, you're right, we have nothing to protest about in Australia.
Or maybe you think that's all fine, and we should just leave? Perhaps I could come over and see you, Jerry.
If you want, you'd probably bitch about nothing over here as well

Quote:
Or perhaps you can just fuck off with your bullshit.
You really scrape with barrel with your dubious examples, good on your for trying though. Never give up your misdirected anger.

meh
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #87
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Am I harming you by posting here? If so, how? I don't impose my atheism on anyone outside of this forum. I respect the right of others to live within the strictures of their own religious values so long as they are not imposing those values on me and unwilling others.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to mind your own business and avoid this forum if my commiseration with others here bothers you?

Apparently, they disagree with your assessment of the situation in both the UK and Ozzie Land. Perhaps, you, for your own personal reasons, are tone deaf to the impositions and slights that they perceive as atheists in their respective home countries. If you truly have no idea what they're bitching about or what they're commiserating over, you might be the one engaged in a fruitless mission here.
Of course you're not harming me. I dislike the ideology that atheists espouse, as it ironically, adds to the mix of beliefs.

This forum is a good place for me to state how your form of commiseration is bullshit. I'm all for equality, sexual preference, race, sex but you lot take the piss and place all ills on the religious. It's an all too an easy out.

I'm tone deaf to white-noise, yelling while saying nothing is bollocks.. You guys have nothing to offer, but say it all too loudly.

Sadly all too many jump on the popular bandwagon without much thought of what they're getting on.

meh
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #88
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Of course you're not harming me.
Okay. Then with your permission, I will ignore anything you have to say from here on out.

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #89
selliedjoup
Obsessed Member

No idea what you're on about. If you want to ignore me, do it, you've never chosen to do that before.

meh
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #90
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

So to recap, (Jerry wont argue with me as he know I am able to crush him like a grape), We don't believe, and laugh at people who do, as ,well as point out the dangers of the people who do. And that is bad how???????? Or different to a football forum where Man U fans rip the piss out of Liverpool fans, often with far less reason than we have for piss ripping here.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote