Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #31
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

There was a terrible movie with an cool idea: we contacted aliens via satellite, then the sent us a message of how to create energy via hydrogen fusion. Then they sent a message about some DNA sequences to be incorporated into a human being, which turned out to be a sequence of their DNA, which turned into a thing designed to wipe out human beings, recolonize the planet with their own DNA. There was a similar bad movie with a cool idea for invasion via electromagnetic pulses which wiped out human minds and transferred alien intelligences. I know of some other great reads along this lines, but I must look them up. Promise I will get to it after my final!

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #32
psychodiva
I Live Here

your final what?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #33
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

What if these aliens are watching us now. But rather than interact with us, because of their ability to manipulate space and time , they just freeze time for all life on earth whilst they go about their business of making a pizza or whatever, then restart it as soon as they have retreated back to their observation distance lol. We would never need to know about them.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #34
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

If an alien could freeze time, then it wouldn't be able to move within the frozen environment. Just the interaction of its skin (or shell or what-have-you) with the air would necessitate movement in space and therefore time. So it wouldn't be able to make a pizza or give us wedgies or anything else if time were frozen.

Unless it was an immaterial, atemporal Being, but even in that case there would never be any tangible evidence that it exists in the universe at all. Thus it would only exist in the minds of those who really, really wanted to believe in it ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #35
psychodiva
I Live Here

circular argument is circular

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #36
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
If an alien could freeze time, then it wouldn't be able to move within the frozen environment. Just the interaction of its skin (or shell or what-have-you) with the air would necessitate movement in space and therefore time. So it wouldn't be able to make a pizza or give us wedgies or anything else if time were frozen.

Unless it was an immaterial, atemporal Being, but even in that case there would never be any tangible evidence that it exists in the universe at all. Thus it would only exist in the minds of those who really, really wanted to believe in it ...
But these aliens have a special doodang and it actually stops time for those who interact with its Zelon Particles, (a particle made from combining a Higs Boson with some dark matter, then run through a Helios light containment unit), the aliens of course have anti Zelon suits, so can wonder freely, and engage with anything that gets caught in the anti zelon pod streams they carry.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #37
dogpet
Obsessed Member

The aluminium helmet is an effective Zelon deflector, enabling the protected to witness alien presence.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #38
Irreligious
I Live Here

Tinfoil hats for everyone!

By the way, I love how you guys say ah-loo-MIN-ee-um instead of ah-LOO-min-um.

And I see you even spell it wrong. Er, I meant, um, differently.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #39
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Tinfoil hats for everyone!

By the way, I love how you guys say ah-loo-MIN-ee-um instead of ah-LOO-min-um.

And I see you even spell it wrong. Er, I meant, um, differently.
As it happens, the discoverer of Aluminium (sir Humphrey Davy) first called it Alumium but then went with aluminum, so it that sense you septics have got it right. It later ended up being "officially" called aluminium, partly because all the new metals had ium endings. This is one situation where I will side with the Americans, since Davy should have been allowed to call it whatever the fuck he wanted.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #40
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Let's all be thankful Davy, despite his name wasn't Welsh, or it would be Alwminiwm.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #41
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
The aluminium helmet is an effective Zelon deflector, enabling the protected to witness alien presence.
At last I would be able to catch the fuckers moving my car keys around so I cannot find them when I need them. Between that and moving my mobile, they are busy alien critters.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #42
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Let's all be thankful Davy, despite his name wasn't Welsh, or it would be Alwminiwm.
And of course, the man himself would become Daffy

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #43
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
That's crazy. The Welsch can't be scientists.

BOOM ZING!

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote