Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
West491
Obsessed Member

Particles found to break speed of light

Read it and weep. Just posted online about 22 minutes ago.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM4CW20110922
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
psychodiva
I Live Here

yeah just saw that on my feed- interesting

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Mind-boggling!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

If this is true, then most of the standard model is wrong. How the hell can anything with mass break the speed of light? My brain hurts.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Rhinoqulous

Here is an article from Live Science that goes into more detail, including how MINOS might have detected the same thing, and how this finding is at odds with other measurements of neutrinos made in nature (from supernovas). Very mind blowing if true.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
West491
Obsessed Member

I became excited when I heard about this. Sitting in class talking to this guy and he casually mentions, "Oh and by the way did you hear..."
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

I would think that in about 3 months an explanation will be put forward that explains this strange phenomenon, because if it doesn't it could be proof that god did it to punish us for arguing with sellied joup.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Probably an error in the way these neutrinos were measured in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Goddamnit, where's Choobus!?

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Probably an error in the way these neutrinos were measured in my opinion.
Talked with a physicist friend last night, an experimental error (such as measuring something wrong) is pretty much ruled out at this point. The CERN finding isn't new, they've encountered this before, it's just that the accuracy of the measurement at CERN is better than what's been done before (the detectors at CERN can detect continental drift happening in real time underneath it! Holy shit!). They really have no idea what is going on though, because measurements in nature have given the exact opposite results. So whatever is going on is very confusing.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Is it a sign of the End Times?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the Bible somewhere (or, at least some dickwad will twist some ambiguous verse to say it did).

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Is it a sign of the End Times?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the Bible somewhere (or, at least some dickwad will twist some ambiguous verse to say it did).
Jesus is SURELY coming!

You don't think he'll notice my Incredible Edible Jesus thread, right? I'm so boned!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Talked with a physicist friend last night, an experimental error (such as measuring something wrong) is pretty much ruled out at this point. The CERN finding isn't new, they've encountered this before, it's just that the accuracy of the measurement at CERN is better than what's been done before (the detectors at CERN can detect continental drift happening in real time underneath it! Holy shit!). They really have no idea what is going on though, because measurements in nature have given the exact opposite results. So whatever is going on is very confusing.
Hmm, the fact that it is not being observed naturally is what leads me to think that in some way in about a year or so a discrepency in how this data was recorded will surface. If not Hare Hare Krishna baby....... Star travel here we come.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Goddamnit, where's Choobus!?
Pushing some neutrino to go a fraction faster than light by blowing really hard lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I wonder if he hopes he's wrong?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ht/9598802.stm

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote