Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
ant

Three Boos For Atheism??

My local rector posts his christian magazine through our door every month. I never usually read it, but for once i picked up and read his monthly letter on the opening page. This is what i read:

THE RECTOR WRITES …

THREE BOOS FOR ATHEISM

My dear friends,

I am weary of hearing the Dawkins brigade telling me all the terrible things Christianity has inflicted upon the world over the past two thousand years. You know the sort of thing: the Crusades of the Middle Ages, the Spanish Inquisition and so on. But what, I ask myself, are the terrible things atheism has inflicted upon the world? What sort of record has atheism got?

Frederick Nietzsche (1844-1900), the German philosopher, was one of the first avowed atheists of modern times. He claimed that God was dead and that human beings had therefore to become gods themselves. He invented the concept of the superman – a person who gloried in his own strength and power. Perhaps it is not surprising that Nietzsche became insane at the age of 45 and remained in a condition of mental and physical paralysis until his death in 1900.

But, alas, many people followed his atheistic ideas, including Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party. With no respect for Christ’s teaching on love, Hitler massacred six million Jews in the gas chambers of his concentration camps whilst consigning another 60 million people to death through his superman-inspired ambition to rule the world.

No less evil was the atheist Josef Stalin, the leader of the Russian people from 1922 to 1953. Contemptuous of Christ’s teaching that greatness lay in humbly serving others, he consigned millions of his own people to the Siberian death camps as he sought to intensify his grip on power.

Pol Pot, the atheistic leader of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, was another person “who feared neither man nor God” and who wreaked incredible suffering on so many innocent people because of his atheistic worldview.

Likewise, Mao T’se-Tung had no conception of the Kingdom of God and so he veered wildly from one viewpoint to another, leaving a trail of carnage in his wake in which it is estimated that between 16 to 60 million of his fellow-countrymen perished.

So much for atheist world leaders. But what of atheist artists? Surely their influence would be more benign?

Frederick Delius, the music composer, was a militant atheist. Indeed, he set words by Nietzsche to music and even had the effrontery to call the work A Mass of Life. But, according to Eric Fenby’s book about the composer, Delius was rude, arrogant, cruel to his wife and completely self-centred. Because he had no Christian understanding of right and wrong, he consorted with prostitutes, caught syphilis and ended his life blind and paralysed. Not exactly a good recommendation for atheism.

Alexander Scriabin was a Russian composer (1872 - 1915) who wrote symphonies and a piano concerto. He banished God from the heavenly realm and asserted that he was God instead. He gave expression to this megalomania in such inflated works as The Poem of Ecstasy and The Divine Poem. What happened to this god in human form? He developed a boil on his lip, which turned septic, and killed him at the age of 43

Of course, it would be silly to maintain that all atheists are megalomaniacs, murderers, libertines and fools, but the evidence of the last hundred years or so does not encourage one to think that atheism is in anyway preferable to Christianity. The evidence points in exactly the opposite direction.

There have always been atheists and there probably always will be. The writer of Psalm 53 (writing, perhaps, three thousand years ago) says

The fool has said in his heart, There is no God.
They are corrupt and become abominable in their wickedness.
There is none that does good.

Give me the wise and life-enhancing teaching of Jesus Christ any day to the militant atheism of the Dawkins brigade.
“By their fruits you will know them”, said Jesus. And few of us, I hope, would disagree.
With all best wishes for a God-filled 2010,
Your sincere friend and Rector,
DAVID MARTIN

taken from http://www.alvechurch-stlaurence.org...y_magazine.htm

I wondered what your thoughts were?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
psychodiva
I Live Here

initial thoughts?

Holy fucking deja vu Robin!

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
GodIsAMyth

He apparently needs more money for hookers and hush money hence more church members.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
psychodiva
I Live Here

I think a nice long letter of complaint to him in a very middle class English way would suit him down to the ground- or perhaps publishing his crap in the local paper with commentary alongside each false assertion would be more suitable

Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

heh heh heh... you said "members"

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I reckon I need an eye test.
I still think the OP is about 'Free Booze for Atheism'

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Node18

This thread has been blessed with my presence.

I hear Bovina gives incredibly good blowjobs. What do you think Choobus?
anyone who can swallow the catholic turdology with such enthusiasm must have practically no gag reflex
Node18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
psychodiva
I Live Here

Smelly- thats just you

Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
'Free Booze for Atheism'
hurrah!

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I reckon I need an eye test.
I still think the OP is about 'Free Booze for Atheism'
Is he really called "the rector", or is it a typo?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Rector? Damn near killed her!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Lily

Does Dec know you are posting here?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ant wrote View Post
My local rector posts his christian magazine through our door every month. I never usually read it, but for once i picked up and read his monthly letter on the opening page. This is what i read:

THE RECTOR WRITES …

THREE BOOS FOR ATHEISM

My dear friends,

I am weary of hearing the Dawkins brigade telling me all the terrible things Christianity has inflicted upon the world over the past two thousand years. You know the sort of thing: the Crusades of the Middle Ages, the Spanish Inquisition and so on. But what, I ask myself, are the terrible things atheism has inflicted upon the world? What sort of record has atheism got?

Frederick Nietzsche (1844-1900), the German philosopher, was one of the first avowed atheists of modern times. He claimed that God was dead and that human beings had therefore to become gods themselves. He invented the concept of the superman – a person who gloried in his own strength and power. Perhaps it is not surprising that Nietzsche became insane at the age of 45 and remained in a condition of mental and physical paralysis until his death in 1900.

But, alas, many people followed his atheistic ideas, including Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party. With no respect for Christ’s teaching on love, Hitler massacred six million Jews in the gas chambers of his concentration camps whilst consigning another 60 million people to death through his superman-inspired ambition to rule the world.

No less evil was the atheist Josef Stalin, the leader of the Russian people from 1922 to 1953. Contemptuous of Christ’s teaching that greatness lay in humbly serving others, he consigned millions of his own people to the Siberian death camps as he sought to intensify his grip on power.

Pol Pot, the atheistic leader of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, was another person “who feared neither man nor God” and who wreaked incredible suffering on so many innocent people because of his atheistic worldview.

Likewise, Mao T’se-Tung had no conception of the Kingdom of God and so he veered wildly from one viewpoint to another, leaving a trail of carnage in his wake in which it is estimated that between 16 to 60 million of his fellow-countrymen perished.

So much for atheist world leaders. But what of atheist artists? Surely their influence would be more benign?

Frederick Delius, the music composer, was a militant atheist. Indeed, he set words by Nietzsche to music and even had the effrontery to call the work A Mass of Life. But, according to Eric Fenby’s book about the composer, Delius was rude, arrogant, cruel to his wife and completely self-centred. Because he had no Christian understanding of right and wrong, he consorted with prostitutes, caught syphilis and ended his life blind and paralysed. Not exactly a good recommendation for atheism.

Alexander Scriabin was a Russian composer (1872 - 1915) who wrote symphonies and a piano concerto. He banished God from the heavenly realm and asserted that he was God instead. He gave expression to this megalomania in such inflated works as The Poem of Ecstasy and The Divine Poem. What happened to this god in human form? He developed a boil on his lip, which turned septic, and killed him at the age of 43

Of course, it would be silly to maintain that all atheists are megalomaniacs, murderers, libertines and fools, but the evidence of the last hundred years or so does not encourage one to think that atheism is in anyway preferable to Christianity. The evidence points in exactly the opposite direction.

There have always been atheists and there probably always will be. The writer of Psalm 53 (writing, perhaps, three thousand years ago) says

The fool has said in his heart, There is no God.
They are corrupt and become abominable in their wickedness.
There is none that does good.

Give me the wise and life-enhancing teaching of Jesus Christ any day to the militant atheism of the Dawkins brigade.
“By their fruits you will know them”, said Jesus. And few of us, I hope, would disagree.
With all best wishes for a God-filled 2010,
Your sincere friend and Rector,
DAVID MARTIN

taken from http://www.alvechurch-stlaurence.org...y_magazine.htm

I wondered what your thoughts were?

My thoughts are that the author of this gibberish is illogical, stupid, and dishonest - a near idiot.

All of the megalomaniacs in the world were naughty because they rejected the rectum Rector's particular god.

Not to worry! They suffered divine justice at the righteous hand of the lard!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Does Dec know you are posting here?
that is actually funny