Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
Rat Bastard

I think you be lucky the box didn't have an IED in it. Does the return address have a reasonably clear return address?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
4thgeneration

Dunno. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I know the letter which accompanied the "luxurious work" had an address to forward comments. I told my PI not to give any feedback lest we elicit a fatwa......
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Rat Bastard

Quote:
4thgeneration wrote
Dunno. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I know the letter which accompanied the "luxurious work" had an address to forward comments. I told my PI not to give any feedback lest we elicit a fatwa......
IED= "Improvised Explosive Device". The big deal is, crap like this can come from a Unabomber-type lunatic. ANY unsolicited mail in a big box would be suspect. These days, I would be suspicious of such a package. One clue to suspicious sendings is an unclear return address.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #19
Eva
Super Moderator

are you sure that the box te book came in did not have anthrax inside???
for sure it had a lethal dose of laughing gas....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
4thgeneration

Trust me, there is no evidence of weaponized microorganisms in this baby! But you are right about the gas! Talk about a near death experience, I aspirated diet coke during lunch when one of my 'mates began reading from it aloud. The thing is that it was obviously a book, because there was a window/opening on the front of the box. Profs get so many freebie books, it is ridiculous. Which is why is was not a particularly suspicious item, and obviously not an IED. BTW, the return address was from somewhere in Virginia.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #21
bokonon

At least the guy isn't one of those Young Earth Creationists.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #22
bokonon

I took a a look at the PDF version of the book, and I didn't have any laugh-out-loud moments. It looks like a Johnny One Note book - example after example of animals living today which look like fossils millions of years old. The author doesn't seem to comment on the fact that some of these fossils are only a few million years old, while others are hundreds of millions of years old.

It doesn't come close to disproving evolution. Some animals have managed to occupy the same niche for eons. Meh, that doesn't even CONTRADICT evolution.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #23
Reverend Blasphemy

Quote:
bokonon wrote
I didn't have any laugh-out-loud moments.
"Darwin's claims were of course based on no scientific evidence or findings. But since the scientific understanding and technological means available at the time were at a fairly primitive level, the full extent of the ridiculous and unrealistic nature of his assertions did not emerge fully into the light of day. In such a climate, Darwin's scenarios received general acceptance from wide number of circles." - Atlas of Creation

If that's not a laugh-out-loud moment, I don't know what is. Check out the section on how evolution is the root of terrorism.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Also check the section that says time and material things are only figments of your imagination.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
GaryM wrote
I'd be interested to know how the fact that there are fossilised remains of animals that are no longer with us (e.g. dinosaurs) shows that "things don't change over time" :wall:
Dude, you're getting it all wrong. This is not our logic, this is God logic we're talking about and yes things do change over time but they really don't, but they do. You see, 2 + 2 doesn't equal 5 to us, but in heaven it can because it has magical powers. Get your God logic straight.
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #26
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
antix wrote
Quote:
4thgeneration wrote
Did you know Darwinism is the root cause of terrorism? Hehehehe!
Not surprising. Darwinism is also responsible for school shootings and child molestation.
And STD's and reality TV.
And don't forget Hurricane Katrina, yes that was Darwin's fault too!
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote