Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #226
Ellie Arroway

Old 02-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #227
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
But to fully flesh this thing out, I need to figure something out that I've been pondering for the last few weeks: What is money?
Money can be exchanged for goods and services! (HS)

Money is a placeholder for actually exchanging your own goods and services for another persons goods and services. I don't need to go mop a floor or build a table for a loaf of bread, I can just hand the bread-maker cash I received for moping floors and making tables somewhere else. Money maintains its value as long as we continue to believe it has value. When we stop believing (like when consumer confidence falls), the system begins to fail.

If you want to further this it might warrant its own thread.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #228
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post

Money is a placeholder for actually exchanging your own goods and services for another persons goods and services. I don't need to go mop a floor or build a table for a loaf of bread, I can just hand the bread-maker cash I received for moping floors and making tables somewhere else. Money maintains its value as long as we continue to believe it has value. When we stop believing (like when consumer confidence falls), the system begins to fail.

I do and it might.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #229
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Ellie Arroway wrote View Post
Tenspace, where did you learn all this?

I might have to start meeting you in Destin for drinks and biology lessons.
Eight... no, ten... no, holy shit, eleven years of autodidactic study. That's a word I learned here on the forums. It means self-education. With books.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #230
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Tenspace, where did you learn all this?

I might have to start meeting you in Destin for drinks and biology lessons.
That can be arranged. But be forewarned.... I talk a lot. We'd have to have a "shut up" signal.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #231
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

That's where the biology part comes in.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #232
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post

"Money is just the way we keep score." unkn

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #233
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Here's how money works in our modern society:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74362583451279

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~Epicurus
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #234
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I'm going to launch a money thread soon, so keep your suspenders on boys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #235
Ellie Arroway

Egads! If what I've heard about the reserve system is true...nevermind...i'm about to hijack my own thread...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #236
Ellie Arroway

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Eight... no, ten... no, holy shit, eleven years of autodidactic study. That's a word I learned here on the forums. It means self-education. With books.
Too bad you're not Lawnmower Man. He had that cool system where he could just download information straight into his brain!

I've been out of college for YEARS and I have to retake my SAT's this June so I'm doing the didacticthingamajiggy myself. With books. It's just the math part I'm worried about. As far as the essay goes...that's a breeze...hee hee, I work for the News Journal. I'm pretty sure I know how to write an essay.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #237
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
I'm going to launch a money thread soon, so keep your suspenders on boys.
My suspenders are off. We need a money thread. I hope your concept isn't too narrow.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #238
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Too bad you're not Lawnmower Man. He had that cool system where he could just download information straight into his brain!

I've been out of college for YEARS and I have to retake my SAT's this June so I'm doing the didacticthingamajiggy myself. With books. It's just the math part I'm worried about. As far as the essay goes...that's a breeze...hee hee, I work for the News Journal. I'm pretty sure I know how to write an essay.

I can relate- I am returning to education in September- the formal psychotherapy stuff rather than the practice I do now- It is scary!!! and my whole liefstyle is going to change I've started re-reading all my psych books again in case I get caught out lol

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #239
Ellie Arroway

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
I can relate- I am returning to education in September- the formal psychotherapy stuff rather than the practice I do now- It is scary!!! and my whole liefstyle is going to change I've started re-reading all my psych books again in case I get caught out lol
Wow! Very cool. I'm studying biology so I can CLEP that course. I'm going to try to get my B.S. degree by 2012. I'm actually hoping to get into the University of Chicago to study anthropology because they have an extremely cool curriculum there. I just don't know how I'd pay the tuition the first year (out of state) so for now I'm going to UWF in the fall!

I wish I could just download algebra, geometry and trig straight into my brain. I'm very SCARED of math.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #240
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
I wish I could just download algebra, geometry and trig straight into my brain. I'm very SCARED of math.
Just remember, math is more scared of you than you are of it.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote