Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Desillusioned

Mad this will make you laugh...or cry...

i was talking to a baptist friend of mine and we ended up in the discussion of evolution(we were in physics class). So our teacher walked in when we were talking about evolution. And she gets into the argument and says:
"evolution is crap, there is no proof for it"
i was dumbstruck at the stupidity
Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Eva
Super Moderator

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Is this in college?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Desillusioned

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Is this in college?
A texas high school
Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
nkb

Quote:
Desillusioned wrote View Post
A texas high school
Ahh, that explains everything. I live in Texas too. When my kids are old enough to go to school, I will be watching like a hawk.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Stargazer

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Ahh, that explains everything. I live in Texas too. When my kids are old enough to go to school, I will be watching like a hawk.
I read somewhere that in Texas it is legal for you to be discriminated against if you are an atheist. Is that true?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
Desillusioned

Quote:
Stargazer wrote View Post
I read somewhere that in Texas it is legal for you to be discriminated against if you are an atheist. Is that true?
wouldn't know must kids i hang out with are atheist or not bible thumpers. But if you check my rant in the general discussions you might see how is like >.<
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Stargazer

Quote:
Desillusioned wrote View Post
i was talking to a baptist friend of mine and we ended up in the discussion of evolution(we were in physics class). So our teacher walked in when we were talking about evolution. And she gets into the argument and says:
"evolution is crap, there is no proof for it"
i was dumbstruck at the stupidity
I was at a school conference talking to my son's biology teacher. I made a reference to Origin of Species. She told me that that book was totally untrue. I did not know what to say. This was a middle school biology teacher......
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
nkb

I doubt it, even if there is still some silly law on the books (I don't know if there is).

Of course, Texas is not the only state to technically discriminate against atheists.

But, of course, atheists are viewed as the spawn of Satan by many Christers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Stargazer

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I doubt it, even if there is still some silly law on the books (I don't know if there is).

Of course, Texas is not the only state to technically discriminate against atheists.

But, of course, atheists are viewed as the spawn of Satan by many Christers.
Yes, I know the discrimination exists, but to have a law for it! Wow. I will have to see if I can remember where I saw that.

Satan is another imaginary friend, so I'm quite sure I'm not his spawn.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Stargazer

Quote:
Yes, I know the discrimination exists, but to have a law for it! Wow. I will have to see if I can remember where I saw that.
Think this is it:

Some state constitutions in the US require a religious test as a qualification for holding public office or being a witness, though a unanimous 1961 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Torcaso v. Watkins held that the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the federal Constitution override the state requirements.[17] The states which still have religious tests on the books include:

Arkansas' Constitution of 1874 (Article 19, Section 1) states: "Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness. No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[18]

North Carolina's Constitution of 1971 (Article 6, Section 8) states: "Disqualifications of office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God...."[19]. This was challenged and overturned by Voswinkel v. Hunt (1979).

South Carolina's Constitution of 2006 (Article 6, Section 2) states: "Person denying existence of Supreme Being not to hold office. No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[20]

Tennessee's Constitution/Bill of Rights (Article 9, Section 2) states: "No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[21]

Texas' Constitution: The Bill of Rights (Article I, Section 4) last amended on September 13, 2003 states that an official may be "excluded from holding office" if she/he does not "acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[22] Overturned by O'Hair v. Hill (1978-84).

Maryland's Bill of Rights:[23]
Article 36: "That as it is the duty of every man to worship God in such manner as he thinks most acceptable to Him, all persons are equally entitled to protection in their religious liberty; wherefore, no person ought by any law to be molested in his person or estate, on account of his religious persuasion, or profession, or for his religious practice, unless, under the color of religion, he shall disturb the good order, peace or safety of the State, or shall infringe the laws of morality, or injure others in their natural, civil or religious rights; nor ought any person to be compelled to frequent, or maintain, or contribute, unless on contract, to maintain, any place of worship, or any ministry; nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefore either in this world or in the world to come."
Article 37: "That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."
Overturned by SCOTUS in Torcaso v. Watkins.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrim..._constitutions
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
ninjaxlikewoah__

Toiletpaper

Quote:
Arkansas' Constitution of 1874 (Article 19, Section 1) states: "Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness. No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrim..._constitutions
Wow. Guess I won't have to worry about running for governor.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Stargazer

Quote:
ninjaxlikewoah__ wrote View Post
Wow. Guess I won't have to worry about running for governor.
Better, you should consider running for governor, and take action to have this benighted and ridiculous law removed.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
nkb

Quote:
Satan is another imaginary friend, so I'm quite sure I'm not his spawn.
Sure, but we're talking about Christers here. Logic is not high on their list.

I'm completely serious, there are people here (and I'm sure elsewhere too) that think atheists are Satan's helpers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Stargazer

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Sure, but we're talking about Christers here. Logic is not high on their list.

I'm completely serious, there are people here (and I'm sure elsewhere too) that think atheists are Satan's helpers.
Yes, I've been told that. Though most of the time, they imply that I don't really mean it, Satan is forcing me to say (whatever they don't agree with).