Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #1546
clambake
shred

Quote:
happywarrior wrote View Post
A fool is like a man on a high mountain
everyone looks small to him,
and he looks small to everyone else.
Damn, I haven't been a fool in way too long. I was just emailing my friend about how long it's been since we hit the PA AT.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #1547
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

The AT! I've been on the AT in PA (which is impressive for a cross-ponder, doncha think?)

One man's strawman is another man's asshole.
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #1548
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Waddlie wrote View Post
The AT! I've been on the AT in PA (which is impressive for a cross-ponder, doncha think?)
erm... please do translate.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #1549
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I'm guessing Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #1550
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Oh fuck - - I'm over there in early October and a few days strolling bits of the trail are indeed planned.
Guess I'm shit at abbreviations!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #1551
clambake
shred

Quote:
Waddlie wrote View Post
Quite! It's some serious hiking if not actually rock climbing at many points. I've only been on a very few other parts but I understand PA is the rockiest.

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Oh fuck - - I'm over there in early October and a few days strolling bits of the trail are indeed planned.
Guess I'm shit at abbreviations!
Cool! Make sure you have well fitting boots, and be prepared for rocks of all sizes. Fall is a great time of year for hiking around here. By all means let me know when and where you'll be staying. My favorite watering hole even has Drambuie.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1552
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Man, no ever comes and visits Fargo, what's with that? Oh wait, that's right, Fargo sucks.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #1553
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
clambake wrote View Post
Cool! Make sure you have well fitting boots, and be prepared for rocks of all sizes. Fall is a great time of year for hiking around here. By all means let me know when and where you'll be staying. My favorite watering hole even has Drambuie.
4 of us fly into Baltimore on Sept 27th and have to spend 3 days on some poxy beach for a baby-naming ceremony (no god involved). We've no fixed agenda after that - just drive, sight see, walk & drink for 10 days - making sure we reach Boston by 11th October for the flight home.
My mate is researching micro-breweries, the missuses are on shopping duties and I don't give a shit - I'll do as I'm told!
If anybody in the area PMs me a phone number, I'll do my best to get in touch and you never know - Drambuie may flow!!

edit: sorry Rhino, Fargo sucks so much - the bed-sheets have vanished up my arse!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #1554
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Man, no ever comes and visits Fargo, what's with that? Oh wait, that's right, Fargo sucks.
well- there was a decent archeology conference there a couple of years back

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #1555
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Actually, there is no such thing as communion wine (assuming you are talking about Catholicism). There is simply wine that becomes Eucharistic wine after being consecrated but it is never left over and stored. Any that is left over at the end of the Mass is finished by the priest, deacons, and lay ministers. Really, it is none too tasty to begin with and it wouldn't improve with keeping any more than Ripple did. So I am afraid your friend is just a thief and no, they don't have to forgive him, though I suspect that they might, if he asks them to.
So if someone kept it in their mouth, ran outside & spat it in a vial containing meat tenderiser, then shook it up. Would that be bad or funny? Does it taste like a nail? Is it good for tomatoes? Does the church use cheap wine for financial reasons? Does the pope get to select his own wine? Does he finish the bottle on his ownsome?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #1556
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Does it taste like a nail?
Of course you know what a Rusty Nail tastes like?!!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #1557
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Of course you know what a Rusty Nail tastes like?!!
Is the pope a liar

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #1558
happywarrior

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
So if someone kept it in their mouth, ran outside & spat it in a vial containing meat tenderiser, then shook it up. Would that be bad or funny? Does it taste like a nail? Is it good for tomatoes? Does the church use cheap wine for financial reasons? Does the pope get to select his own wine? Does he finish the bottle on his ownsome?
We just use grape juice and oyster crackers.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #1559
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
You are doing it again! You aren't listening or else you are incapable of understanding what I write. This is completely irrelevant to anything I just said. I don't care that they are mistaken. It is irrelevant to getting the facts of what they believe straight. If I want to get it right; if accuracy matters, if I want to understand what they believe, I will listen. Gawdalmitey how hard is that to understand?
Good grief, Lily. What facts do you actually know about Islam that allows you to dismiss Muslims as mistaken in their belief that Muhammad was God's chosen messenger on earth? Are you a scholar of Islam now? And do you really need to be in order to reject Islam?

No?

Then why hold us to a different standard?

We reject the premise of what you believe, hence the name atheist. We've given you our reasons.

Meanwhile, you reject Islam without knowing one-tenth of what a Muslim scholar knows about Islam. You do it because you believe that someone named Jesus Christ is the way. Why are you pretending that you have done an exhaustive comparison of the two belief systems when we all know you haven't? And why are you expecting me to know every rationale behind Roman Catholic dogma before I can reject it as nonsense?

I don't need a degree in theology reject the notion of a man/god who died for my sins or to reject your assertion that a communion wafer becomes actual flesh on some plain that no one can see. I simply don't believe it, just like you don't believe Muhammad was a messenger of God.

Furthermore, you are not the only Christian in the world. There are sundry types of Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Anglicans, nondenominational Evangelicals, Jehovah's Witness and Mormons-- to name just a few-- all of whom profess to be Christians, yet who believe and interpret scripture differently than you do.

Neither you, nor the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church nor the many Roman Catholic apologists you consult is an expert on Christianity, writ large. So you're not in any position to talk to me about what what "Christians" believe. Your is but one view on the topic. Get that straight.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Uh, yes, I do. I came out of it after being raised in a home with an atheist. It ain't rocket science. The things you think you understand about me and what I believe make me laugh, when they don't make me want to bash my head against the nearest rock. You have a whole mental image that you are absolutely wedded to that bears virtually no relationship to reality. It is why what I actually say, makes no difference. You are arguing with a figment of your imagination and the real woman can't compete with that. So yes, you are in your own little world.
No, skepticism in the face of absurd assertions about the natural world is not rocket science. You obviously have no trouble engaging skepticism when it doesn't impinge on your Christian worldview, so I know it's not an alien concept to you. What you refuse to understand, however, is that it also reasonable to be skeptical about assertions of alleged god/men, demons, heaven, hell and crackers morphing into flesh. None of these things have been scientifically verified as real. You know as well as I that they cannot. Nor are they universally accepted as such. They are figments of your faith, to put it diplomatically. And your faith ain't got shit to do with objective reality or it would not require faith to believe in it. That is fact. So it looks like I'm still on pretty good terms with reality as much of the world recognizes it.

Quote:
Lily wrote
This is a joke, right? Nobody can be this impervious to reason. Nobody. Who gives a flying fig whether you believe in God, gods, Bigfoot or pink unicorns? Who? But when you make ignorant statements about what Christianity teaches, I will object. I find myself objecting repeatedly, day after day after day, to no avail.
Object all you want. I will object to your absurd objections. You are not the sole arbiter of this thing called Christianity no matter how much you rant and rave. Interestingly, millions and millions of other Christians will attest to that. You own your specific beliefs, but the sad fact is, you don't have exclusive ownership of this thing called Christianity. You are destined to share that with a lot of different people who also claim the label. And again, they don't all agree with you.

I know this is gonna be hard for a narcissist like you to understand, but sometimes we're commenting on what some of those Christians believe.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Again, this is totally irrelevant. Argue with it all you like but get it right. Fight with the facts, not what you think are the facts. Your inability to understand the difference between ignorance and knowledge amazes and disheartens me. I just don't get it.
You may know Roman Catholic dogma backwards and forwards, but what you don't know is that any of it is based in fact. And I know you don't know the first thing about what an alleged god thinks, or an alleged place called heaven or its alleged obverse, hell. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can't.

Christianity ain't about facts, per se. It's about faith, which ain't facts. I don't argue with you about what is and what is not Roman Catholic dogma, but when you share it here and attempt explain the faulty logic behind it, such as "why" you believe communion wafers can morph into flesh, all I can do is point out to you that nature doesn't work that way, despite what you believe or why you believe it. Deal with that.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Last edited by Irreligious; 08-20-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #1560
Lily

Utterly hopeless. Utterly. Do you understand the difference between these two assertions? You don't appear to.

1. Christianity teaches that Christ was raised from the dead on the 3rd day after his death and burial.

2. I believe that Christ was raised from the dead on the 3rd day after his death and burial.

Do you see the difference? Let me spell it out:

1. Statement of fact.

2. Statement of belief.

If you are incapable of seeing the difference. Poor you. If you do see the difference, then what in the name of God's green earth are you bitching and moaning about? Why are you wasting my time and your time with a lot of meaningless babble? It doesn't compute except on the assumption that you are arguing with some figment of your imagination and I don't really come into it at all.

Well, if it floats your boat, rave on. I am unlikely to bother with it any longer.