Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #1501
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
You really need to make up your mind. Does God make these decisions or not?

What gives you the right to authoritatively pronounce where zer0 is going after his death?
If I were serious, it would be presumptious of me to make those pronouncements.

However, God doesn't save anyone who doesn't want to be saved. Zero's description of his reaction to being admitted to heaven puts him in the "I don't want to go camp" and God will not override his decsion.

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Well a jury found R. Kelly not-guilty of baptizing a minor, but I think he still has charges in Florida concerning magazines depicting under-age baptisms and other acts of "biblical" nature.
I suppose I should have googled this clown first. Still, since the joke would only have been mildly amusing, at best, if he had claimed to be doing baptisms, I find your humor sophomoric. However, you have, apparently, entertained the class, so I guess you have your reward.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #1502
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

However, God doesn't save anyone who doesn't want to be saved. Zero's description of his reaction to being admitted to heaven puts him in the "I don't want to go camp" and God will not override his decsion.

I suppose I should have googled this clown first. Still, since the joke would only have been mildly amusing, at best, if he had claimed to be doing baptisms, I find your humor sophomoric. However, you have, apparently, entertained the class, so I guess you have your reward.
and now we present you with................................... snooty supercilious cow!

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #1503
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Come-on Lily, of course it's sophomoric, it's a pop culture reference.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #1504
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Baptism is not optional. Anyone who refuses it, refuses Christ.
I suppose that's why you buggers usually try to enrol the poor sods who have only just learnt to shit in their nappies (daipers to you).

Those older and with an IQ slightly higher that that of a retarded plankton are more likely to be quite happy to refuse the zombie.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #1505
happywarrior

Just what does the word "save" mean, lily?

Oh yes, just how many baptisms are there in the bible?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #1506
Lily

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Come-on Lily, of course it's sophomoric, it's a pop culture reference.

I just can't find anything that distasteful and exploitive funny-- at least not once it sinks in.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #1507
psychodiva
I Live Here

Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #1508
psychodiva
I Live Here

Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #1509
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
followed by
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
After telling us how presumptuous it would be to speak for God, in the same post, you turn around and speak for God.

How many personalities are in there with you, Lily? I count at least two.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #1510
zer0

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Your god is a camp counselor now? WTF...

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
In the scenario you paint, you are likely going somewhere else a bit sooner than you anticipated.
sorry to disappoint, your sky daddy didn't manage to smite me since my last post...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #1511
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Don't worry. You won't be allowed into heaven unless you have been martyred for Christ, i.e. someone kills you because you are a Christian. In the scenario you paint, you are likely going somewhere else a bit sooner than you anticipated.
Hmm. And I guess you won't be going to "paradise" where all the Muslim martyrs allegedly dwell?

Have you lost one night's sleep over the prospect of landing in "Muslim hell" after you have died?

After all, there's as much evidence for your pronouncement about zer0's final destination as there is for the Muslims' concerning where you will end up after this temporal existence has run its course.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #1512
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Lily Bright and Dark

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
followed by

After telling us how presumptuous it would be to speak for God, in the same post, you turn around and speak for God.

It makes perfect sense that a believer would cultivate multiple personalities. They do after all claim a personal relationship with an entirely made-up creature. That an adult would maintain an imaginary friendship deep into his or her golden years is a recipe for schizoid behaviour. Not to pick on Lily; she can't help the way she is.
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #1513
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
followed by

I am sorry that this isn't a seminar where one can discuss things across a table, at great length, if need be. But it isn't. The nature of the subjects I comment on requires of the participants the ability to remember, to be able to think in both concrete and abstract ways, and, above all, to retain information. It is very tough to reduce sometimes complex matters to a couple of sentences which you can understand and retain.

What God has revealed we can speak about. He hasn't revealed the individual names of those who will go to hell. However, we do know, because he has said so, that those who reject him will. Ergo, I can confidently say that those who reject him will go to hell without presumption.

Does this clarify matters?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #1514
Eva
Super Moderator

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
It makes perfect sense that a believer would cultivate multiple personalities. They do after all claim a personal relationship with an entirely made-up creature. That an adult would maintain an imaginary friendship deep into his or her golden years is a recipe for schizoid behaviour. Not to pick on Lily; she can't help the way she is.
channeling cal, philboid???

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #1515
Eva
Super Moderator

irre, maybe lily is one of muslim heaven's 72 raisins.......

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote