Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #781
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is not the creed that holds us together; it is the reality that the creed describes that constitutes Christianity. The flock has been driven apart over things like infant vs adult baptism. Communion vs Eucharist. Law vs grace. Once saved always saved vs you can lose your salvation. A million things-- some more important than others; many are quite trivial. What none of us disputes is that Jesus Christ is the son of the living God; that he was crucified, died, buried and rose on the 3rd day. We agree that he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. At that point, all divisions will be healed.

Isn't that plenty, for starters?
Hmm. So how will these divisions be healed? What, is Jesus going to run down the litany and set y'all straight on whether or not he was literally in the cracker when you ate it and whether or not infant baptisms are going to be invalidated when he gets back? Is he going to announce his decisions over a loudspeaker or what? How do you see this working? How far have you thought this through?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #782
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is not the creed that holds us together; it is the reality that the creed describes that constitutes Christianity. The flock has been driven apart over things like infant vs adult baptism. Communion vs Eucharist. Law vs grace. Once saved always saved vs you can lose your salvation. A million things-- some more important than others; many are quite trivial. What none of us disputes is that Jesus Christ is the son of the living God; that he was crucified, died, buried and rose on the 3rd day. We agree that he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. At that point, all divisions will be healed.

Isn't that plenty, for starters?
And they all worship a variation of the Sun! That is way plenty for starters, crazy person!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #783
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
What none of us disputes is that Jesus Christ is the son of the living God; that he was crucified, died, buried and rose on the 3rd day. We agree that he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. At that point, all divisions will be healed.
I thought you excluded Mormons and JWs from your club, but the above describes them quite well.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #784
Lily

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I thought you excluded Mormons and JWs from your club, but the above describes them quite well.
No. It doesn't. Don't interrupt again. I am not going to school you any further. You have proven that you cannot learn.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #785
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
No. It doesn't. Don't interrupt again. I am not going to school you any further. You have proven that you cannot learn.
Which part don't they believe in? Please school me!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #786
Lily

It has been done. You failed to learn. C'est la vie.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #787
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
It's no different from a collection of sci-fi geeks. You will have terrible arguments between babylon 5 and star trek fans, and even worse arguments between original series and new generation trekkies. Star wars nutters will fight with Stargate twats, and even the odd arsehole dressed as ET will try to stick his glowing finger into the mix, but all of them will align immediately if it becomes necessary to fight off some truculent football players who probably don't even know how to speak klingon. The godidiots are just the same, they will bicker abut the details of their own fantasies but will happily condemn anyone who doesn't buy into the general theme. That's what keeps them together: us!
I think the main difference between Star Trek and Christianity is that Star Trek is more believable (if you can swallow FTL warp drive); and it's philosophy is a better and more positive expression of the human condition.

Moreover, in "Christ Trek: The Dense Generation" virgins are impregnated without even getting laid, whereas in ST Cap'n Kirk gets to bang green chicks two at a time. Even Spock gets his freak on every seven years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #788
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The Christ Punchers are more aligned with Red Dwarf - a far better class of comedy!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #789
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It has been done. You failed to learn. C'est la vie.
Show me the part of your statement that they don't believe in. Come on, you big fat liar!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #790
Lily

Its been done. Have you had a brain transplant in the last three months? That is all it has been since this subject was thoroughly covered and you absolutely refused to learn anything. If this is going to change, it can only happen if you have become, magically, capable of learning.

Well, here you go.

I am not going to spend another nano second trying to educate you.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #791
Irreligious
I Live Here

Please come down to Earth, my dear. You're not an educator here and this ain't your classroom. As always, you're being challenged on your half-baked assertions. That is, your opinions. And you're being evasive in the process, which is also typical.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #792
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Regarding JW's. They think a god had a son called jesus with a human virgin, & the son was a god who did magic stuff.
Therefore they are christians.

What I want to know is, was Mary really a virgin at the birth? If Joe's pleas for a bit of sideways consummation after the shotgun wedding were thwarted, then jesus was truly a bastard right? Like father like son.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #793
Lily

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Regarding JW's. They think a god had a son called jesus with a human virgin, & the son was a god who did magic stuff.
Therefore they are christians.
Why don't facts matter to atheists? Or is it just this particular weird bunch here?

JWs do not believe that Jesus is God-- the 2nd person of the Trinity. Thus they are not Christians.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #794
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
JWs do not believe that Jesus is a God. Thus they are not Christians.
Yes they do, so ergo christians are they.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #795
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Why don't facts matter to atheists? Or is it just this particular weird bunch here?

JWs do not believe that Jesus is God-- the 2nd person of the Trinity. Thus they are not Christians.
Who are the first and third persons in the alleged Trinity?

--Ella Wheeler Wilcox