Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

R.i.p. Hitch !!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418 Seems cancer finally beat the well renowned atheist writer and all round theist kicker Christopher Hitchens. He will live on, not as a spirit, but through his writing and debates strewn accross the interweb and beyond. Can we not have too much goddy shit in this thread? I have a lot of respect for many of th eopinions of this man, and think he has done a great deal to help many throw off the shackles ot theism and embrace reality.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Not unexpected, but still sad.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Sternwallow
I Live Here

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

I didn't know him well enough to grieve too much, but I did repect his written work and his debating style enough to know when the world has lost a valuable contributor. I wonder how his strongly theistic brother feels?
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Michael
Obsessed Member

He was a clearly intelligent man whose viewpoints probably lent pretty heavily to my own current view of the world (in that he affected other people who subsequently affected me).
However, if I'm to be honest, I was not particularly up-to-date with his body of work.

Still, I recognise that he is considered one of the fathers of "new atheism", If that is even a real thing, and his loss is sad.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

I worked with him once, back in the day. He did all the work; I fact-checked. It was an article about the royal family, in which he wrote that Charles looked like "a monkey on a stick."

Had a martini with him at the office Xmas bash. That is, I drank and listened as he held court. He was both a great man and a good man. R.I.P., Christopher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I think he'd have preferred - “rest in undisturbed biological decomposition”

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Irreligious
I Live Here

I heard him speak in person once and was riveted.

Death will humble us all. But with his numerous books, columns and public speaking engagements over the decades, Christopher Hitchens has left behind an important body of thought to counter copious and longstanding religious propaganda.

Well done, Mr. Hitchens.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
West491
Obsessed Member

Goodbye Hitch. I'll definitely miss hearing him speak his mind so freely.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I've been pre-mourning this inevitable juncture for some time. However, it doesn't seem to have diminished the pain any. We've lost a very great man. I will miss his wit and his unblunted, disintegrative articulation of truth.

It is my birthday today. Suddenly, this milestone in my life has a more profound significance to me.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Irreligious
I Live Here

Happy Birthday, Ghoulie!

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Happy Birthday, Ghoulie!
Thanks, Irr!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

"Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals. It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated."

- Christopher Hitchens

Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
psychodiva
I Live Here

I'm sad - but also quite glad he isn't suffering and that his books / a all over the net for a while and in the face of the religidiots at this oh so special time- mm suspiciously good timing eh?

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I heard him speak in person once and was riveted.
Same here. I was lucky enough to see him in person last year, and, holy shitballs, what an eloquent and captivating public speaker he was.

I will miss him, but I will also make it my goal to catch up on all his books. I've been meaning to order Hitch-22 and Arguably:Essays, and this is as good an incentive as any. After that, I'll work my way back, chronologically speaking.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote