Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Quote:
Kate wrote
So, Eyegore, since we're all such horrible monsters, are you therefore dedicated to eradicating atheism?

Yes, absolutely.
There is only one way to do that; display public evidence that your particular god exists. Remember that it is not evidence that multiple things, possibly including a god exist, but that only a god could have done it or been it.

Exactly what, in detail please, do you think we are being willfully ignorant of?

God, being unknowable (according to many theist sources), I contend that you and I are both ignorant about god, no matter what the Bible or other made-up document may say and no matter how sincerely we try to know things about god.

Before you jump on the point, ignorance about something does not imply that the thing under discussion exists.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Spoonfeed? What are you going to teach me? Atheism is by definition ignorance--willful ignorance, at that.

I look at the universe and I wonder how it got here. You look at the universe and you don't wonder at all. It simply is.

I reach out for God; you try to become more and more like an animal. That's why atheists talk about sex and make sexual references to everything and talk about piss and shit (I'm still trying to figure out what a "piss flap" is.). You revel in the basal instincts of the human animal. In reaching out for God, I am striving to become the greatest possible living thing--a human being.

For some reason, atheists hate the idea of a human being. They want humans to be no different than bacteria. Everything is evolution, everything is formed via chaotic chance. You think we eat and drink and mate and then we die--just like insects. You even think your consciousness is a byproduct of biochemical processes in the synapses of your brain.

And you're going to spoonfeed me what?
What a sad, sick, and deluded little man you are!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Egor

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
The desire to emulate and thus gain the powers of Jesus is naturally simian, rather base and not at all noble.
I was reading your post and trying to get past the loose associations and then I saw this statement, and frankly, I was taken aback.

What, pray tell, does an atheist know about nobility? What nobility can a dirt clod have? Isn't that what atheists reduce us all to? Dirt clods with accidental consciousness?

You only get nobility if there's a Supreme Being to which you give your life and service to. If you can't understand that, you need to get yourself to the back of the short bus. You don't belong in this debate.
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
What, pray tell, does an atheist know about nobility? What nobility can a dirt clod have? Isn't that what atheists reduce us all to?
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
Egor

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Ghoulslime, please. Do you really think, even from just the few posts of mine that you've read, that such an ad hominem attack matters to me in the slightest?

Or are you simply hoping that with your little hate post you will get some attention that you usually don't get in this forum?

"I agree with Ghoulslime!"
"I couldn't have said it better, Ghoulslime."
"You really nailed it, Ghoulslime."
"Ghoulslime--I'm with you!"

I could see you hoping for it as you typed the words, my friend.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
Egor

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Nice book. I'm not a Christian.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #24
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better, Ghoulslime.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #25
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Ghoulie - like you, I wonder if this god-bot does anal?

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
"What a cool post Ghoulslime"
"You were way cool Ghoulie"
"You sure showed him Ghoulie"
"What a way to post a great post"
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #27
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I was reading your post and trying to get past the loose associations and then I saw this statement, and frankly, I was taken aback.

What, pray tell, does an atheist know about nobility? What nobility can a dirt clod have? Isn't that what atheists reduce us all to? Dirt clods with accidental consciousness?

You only get nobility if there's a Supreme Being to which you give your life and service to. If you can't understand that, you need to get yourself to the back of the short bus. You don't belong in this debate.
Dirt clods? What biology lessons have you sat in? Consciousness has evolved over billions of years. I cannot see how this is accidental. More like a journey that changes slowly over a period of time.
If you can only have nobility if God exists, are you stating that it is therefore impossile for atheists to be noble? "Noble" is a word, not a magical hex that can only be performed by the "believers".
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #28
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
And, the farther aback you are taken, the better.
Quote:
What, pray tell, does an atheist know about nobility?
Many of the atheists here, if not most, were religious and some even staunch Christians, who came to atheism by serious thoughtful evaluation of the literally unbelievable absurdities, completely lacking any objective justification, that our religious communities expected us to unquestioningly accept as truth.

Some of us, during our personal search for God, came to atheist disbelief merely by reading the Bible completely, while sincerely hoping to bolster our fervent faith with deeper knowledge than the pretty bits doled out to us from the pulpit.

We we found the errors, lies and contradictions and the evil passages that had been deliberately hidden from us by the preachers. We discovered that most Christians do not actually read their Bible and they do not believe in it as they say; they believe what little the clergy tell them about it.

For many of us. these flaws simply invalidated any claim that the book was the inerrant word of God and therefore invalidated its claim that there was a God.

Some of us managed to apologize those flaws away using the old twisted "interpreted" passages and fallacious logic and devious wordplay.

The last category of atheists in this whole-Bible-reading group could overlook the small problems and provisionally consider the "big picture", "the Message of Jesus" of the Bible's full context, to be the word of God.

But then they found that, by His own confession in the Bible, God was "a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak, a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" (accurate condensation by Richard Dawkins).

Such an entity, as described in the Bible, is wholly without merit as an object for worship, reverence, duty, adherence or even gratitude, certainly not for any love. If He exists as described, He is an object for loathing, fear, repugnance and I think, even a dribble of pity for His apparent self-hatred, fear of not being loved and insecurity in His identity.

It is a very good thing if God does not exist and it is good fortune that people can be good and happy without Him.

Quote:
What nobility can a dirt clod have? Isn't that what atheists reduce us all to?
Atheism says nothing about good or evil or love or nobility; it is only a lack of belief in god(s). It does not expand or reduce anything to anything else.

There are many reasons not to believe in god: never having heard of one, being given insufficient evidence (in this case, none whatsoever), being given contradictory claims for every god offered, being raised in a non-religious family/community and being offered a terrible immoral and evil god for veneration.
Quote:
Dirt clods with accidental consciousness?
You seem to think that "accidental" things exist less validity; for consciousness and other human capabilities, it does not.

Clearly "the dust of the ground" (Gen), however he acquired perception and sensibility, can recognize attributes such as love, perseverance, charity, courage, compassion, and, yes, nobility. It doesn't matter whether consciousness and intellect and perception were accidental or an inevitable consequence of evolution or some other cause; they are present and they are the best that biology could produce up to the present time. That is to say, even if God gave us consciousness, it is limited and imperfect and has pitfalls like wishful thinking and self delusion, so [sarcasm] Thanks a whole lot, God[/sarcasm].

Based on human inborn empathy, love, attachment, memory, thought and imagination [sincere gratitude to goodness]Thanks, evolution[/sincere gratitude to goodness], we humans invented the notions of perseverance, charity, courage, compassion, and, yes, nobility to support the fact that we are social animals.

So, of course, behavior based on a combination of fear of Hell and desire for Heaven offered by an invisible intangible totally inaccessible (except through stories told in antiquity by superstitious ignorant anonymous people) old white guy in the sky ("His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow" (Rev)) solely for personal gain, is ignoble.
Quote:
You only get nobility if there's a Supreme Being to which you give your life and service to[sic].
That is an unsubstantiated bald assertion and, if love and service to other humans is a laudable behavior then your "only" assertion is false since it exists in our imperfect world without God.

It appears that you have a crippled idea of nobility that would not exist if there were no supernatural tyrant arbitrarily demanding it. Nobility is not about our relation to some god; it is about how people behave toward one-another.
Quote:
If you can't understand that, you need to get yourself to the back of the short bus. You don't belong in this debate.
This is our debate, on our turf. You do not get to determine who does or does not belong here. My ticket reads "I do not believe in any god(s)". That absolutely true and unassailable fact is the sole necessary characteristic by which I claim a right to be in this place. You are here strictly on our sufferance and you are rudely stressing our hospitality with your falsehoods and insults.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #29
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Nice book. I'm not a Christian.
Then you claim to be some other kind of believer in some kind of god. Christianity is the most common and vocal religion in the US so being a theist is very likely to be Christian form of the delusion. Please pardon me if I mistakenly attribute to you Christian arguments to be refuted and please be explicit about non-Christian aspects of your beliefs.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 AM   #30
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

He gave up that label when even Lily called him a crazy assed mother fucker.

OK, she didn't use those exact words.
I think his attitudes align very nicely with fanatical jizzlam, myself.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote