Old 08-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Choobus wrote
that movie was shit. However, you can't claim to represent humanity without being a godidiot since most humans are. I'm sure all the aliens in our galaxy think we're assclowns and would probably tell us to fuck off. I know I would.
How did Grissom put it on the episode with the cult?

"If there is intellegent life out there in the universe, I'm sure they're wise enough to stay away from us".

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote
that movie was shit. However, you can't claim to represent humanity without being a godidiot since most humans are. I'm sure all the aliens in our galaxy think we're assclowns and would probably tell us to fuck off. I know I would.
We're like the Alabama of the universe.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Sigma

What is sad is that the movie is based on the book written by Carl Sagan.

[ pumps fist towards the sky] WHY CARL? WHYYYYYYY![pumps fist towards the sky/]
Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
atotalstranger

Quote:
Victus wrote
Good movie, good ending (where she has had an amazing experience but has no evidence to back it up and she admits that there is absolutely no reason for them to believe her). Let's face it, the theist thing to do would be to sit there and say "damn you, believe me or I'll fucking cut ya!".
But, in fact, there was evidence that something had happened - there was 18 hours of static recorded with her video camera. This small thing is even more evidence than has ever existed for any supernatural entity. And the kicker is that they suppresseed that. Very accurate portrayal of religious nuts.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #20
snap crafter

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
Quote:
Tenspace wrote
"I waited two hours to see the alien and it turned out to be her goddamned father!" - Mr. Garrison
:lol::lol:

Yeah, that kind of pissed me off, too.
I think the ET should have been a Predator, that would have been pretty fun to watch.
Predator? ... You mean a Yautja?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #21
DontBeStupid

Quote:
snap crafter wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote

I think the ET should have been a Predator, that would have been pretty fun to watch.
good luck hiding one of those in the closet!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #22
Baphomet

Quote:
snap crafter wrote
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote

Yeah. That's what I mean, the aliens with the cloaking devices and the wrist bayonets. That would have been a lot more entertaining to watch as opposed to "oh you look like my father, oh wow faith and science are one."

I think the device they were making should have opened a portal to the Yautja world, and then all the predators come in and start hunting people. then the moral of the story wouldn't be "science and faith are one" the moral would be "don't believe what voices from the sky tell you."

I dunno, I just prefer action movies better than boring dramas that turn out to be anti-climatic.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
Choobus
I Live Here

Contact. What utter wank. Flesh Gordon was more realistic.

yeah, Flesh.

this is his spaceship

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #24
ranma1/2

Quote:
Victus wrote
Good movie, good ending (where she has had an amazing experience but has no evidence to back it up and she admits that there is absolutely no reason for them to believe her). Let's face it, the theist thing to do would be to sit there and say "damn you, believe me or I'll fucking cut ya!".

While frustrating, one could argue that the commission's decision not to send a non-theist as their representative is appropriate, given that the vast majority of the world's population does believe in a higher power of one sort or another. I'm sure they wouldn't want to send someone who, as they put it, "thinks that the other 99% of humanity is delusional".
But thats just it, anyone they send would think that the other part of humanity was dilusional. "not believing in their version of god. I especially wonder what the other aliens would think."
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #25
Choobus
I Live Here

Flesh

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 PM   #26
Rat Bastard

Harrr! Indeed! At least the semen comes out the front, like it's supposed to. As opposed to Flash Gordon, where the sparks (rocket exhaust) shot out the front! Ten points for identification of the "Cheepniss" reference.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #27
psikeyhackr

Quote:
GodlessHeathen wrote
I liked that movie a lot. Yes, that scene bothered me, but I took schadenfreudic (is that even a word?) satisfaction in the irony of the theist candidate getting blown up by other theists who couldn't square their fairy tales with the idea of intelligent life on another planet.
I just bought the DVD (and Terminator 2) and that is about what I was going to say although I have no idea what schadenfreudic means. I loved seeing that a$$hole getting blown up. :lol:

psikey