Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #106
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Can't do that for you. You want to be an atheist. If you want to be an atheist, your mind is completely closed. You will only see evidence that supports your point of view. On the contrary, I read books by atheists all the time, and watch lecture videos on YouTube as well. And I struggle. I've come to a place in my book regarding the existence of the soul which has me puzzled, and if I don't find a way out of it, through it, over it, whatever, my belief in life after death could end.

And I'm willing to go there if that's where I have to go, because I follow the truth where it leads.

A lecture I'm watching now by a Yale philosophy professor argues against the existence of the soul. I stopped watching it, because I got a little nervous. But as soon as I post this I'm going right back and finishing it.

You see, I'm not an intellectual coward. And I believe in this trial that God will not let me down. I have so much faith in fact, that I won't even pray for an answer--not yet anyway--because I know that would be too easy. I want to see if I can figure it out first, so I am deliberately not praying for the solution. Becasue if I do, He'll give it to me. He's done it before, and I want a little more of a challenge.

You don't have anything like that in your life. That must suck.
To the contrary, it doesn't suck at all to be freed from a fruitless search for something that is hopelessly improbable or, worse yet, that you can't even define.

Quote:
Egor wrote
I do. In my book I'm writing. I suppose you think I should just cut and paste those chapters in here, right?
Are you so self-centered that you honestly think anybody here cares about what you include in your alleged book? She was talking about making better arguments here and now while you are forcing your company upon us?

Quote:
Egor wrote
You must be one broke dick, on the dole, loser in Scotland. I can just see you stumbling out of a dive pub where an aquaintence bought you a pint just to get you physically away from him and coming at me with a rolled up piece of paper in a broken cider bottle. Teeth all missing from bad nutrition and huffing school paste, all skinny and pale. "C'mon Egie. I'll shove this up your arse, you rich yankie bastard! C'mon, Ill kick my arse, you sumbitch!"
You have absolutely no reason to suspect any of these things about Sol but, whatever he is, he's not desperately seeking to force his unfounded beliefs upon anyone and refusing to answer the tough questions related to any claims he might be making here.

You can't say the same.

Quote:
Egor wrote
I'm just curious, do you actually have to heat one room at a time in your...dwelling...whatever the hell it is?

Honestly though, it is possible you could kick my ass with your broken cider bottle, but probably not. Nevertheless, it's possible. So, I was thinking what the best defense would be, and the answer just popped into my head: take five quid in coins and throw them in another direction. You'd run to them like ducks to bread crumbs.

Scotish tough, now there's a contradiction in terms.
So, now you're resorting to defaming Scottish people, simply because one of them insulted you?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #107
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I don’t know God exists; I believe God exists. But my belief has become so solidified over the years that my spiritual growth is coming to an end in this life.
In my mind spiritual growth and maturity is about coming to terms with one's mortality. All you do is head in the other direction, jumping through hoops and forcing square pegs into round holes.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #108
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Can't do that for you. You want to be an atheist. If you want to be an atheist, your mind is completely closed. You will only see evidence that supports your point of view. On the contrary, I read books by atheists all the time, and watch lecture videos on YouTube as well. And I struggle. I've come to a place in my book regarding the existence of the soul which has me puzzled, and if I don't find a way out of it, through it, over it, whatever, my belief in life after death could end.
Yeah! Fuck you, Stargazer!

Does factual scientific evidence support your insistence that humans evolved from one-celled organisms or do they back Ego's Tales of Bronze Age Morons where we came from the Adam and Eve magic show? OK, well, you are right there, but how about the age of the Earth, then, you close-minded goddamn atheist? Do the facts support your supposition that the Earth is millions..oh..did I say millions?...I mean billions of years old, or do the facts back up the myths in Ego's book of fairy babble? OK, well, so you were right again there. But...but...how about the soul?!!! Huh? Surely you aren't going to deny that humans have eternal souls that will live forever? Of course, other animals don't have souls, but we surely do, because we are God's pets. If you eat your zombie savior's flesh and drink his blood, you will surely live forever! You have such a closed mind to deny this!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #109
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Sol wrote View Post
I think I should wrap the topic in broken glass and shove it up eds fucking shit hole.

Any fucking objections
Ego Ed would certainly derive too much pleasure from it.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #110
Michael
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Honestly? It sounds to me like you're the one desperately wanting to have the beliefs you do, trying as hard as you can to find any little shred of evidence for what you want to believe.
I'm guessing as soon as you find anything, no matter how small or insignificant that you can twist into your evidence you'll comfort yourself in the idea your beliefs are valid, despite the overwhelming evidence against them that you seem to be admitting to here.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
And I'm willing to go there if that's where I have to go, because I follow the truth where it leads.

A lecture I'm watching now by a Yale philosophy professor argues against the existence of the soul. I stopped watching it, because I got a little nervous. But as soon as I post this I'm going right back and finishing it.

You see, I'm not an intellectual coward. And I believe in this trial that God will not let me down. I have so much faith in fact, that I won't even pray for an answer--not yet anyway--because I know that would be too easy. I want to see if I can figure it out first, so I am deliberately not praying for the solution. Becasue if I do, He'll give it to me. He's done it before, and I want a little more of a challenge.
Yep. That sounds like what I just described is exactly what you're doing. And BTW, I guarantee you that a large selection of people here could give you a long list of lectures, videos and books from different viewpoints on this. You're not special in that regard.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
We don't have anything where we cling desperately onto any small piece of evidence that would allow us to selfishly keep our beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Damn, you got us on that one.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I do. In my book I'm writing. I suppose you think I should just cut and paste those chapters in here, right?
Why not? I'm sure cut-and-paste is how you wrote them in the first place. (oh-no-he-didn't!)

I kid. I'm sure your book is lovely. Some of us may even read it. There's no way in hell we'd pay for it, but we'd probably read it.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You must be one broke dick, on the dole, loser in Scotland. I can just see you stumbling out of a dive pub where an aquaintence bought you a pint just to get you physically away from him and coming at me with a rolled up piece of paper in a broken cider bottle. Teeth all missing from bad nutrition and huffing school paste, all skinny and pale. "C'mon Egie. I'll shove this up your arse, you rich yankie bastard! C'mon, Ill kick my arse, you sumbitch!"

I'm just curious, do you actually have to heat one room at a time in your...dwelling...whatever the hell it is?

Honestly though, it is possible you could kick my ass with your broken cider bottle, but probably not. Nevertheless, it's possible. So, I was thinking what the best defense would be, and the answer just popped into my head: take five quid in coins and throw them in another direction. You'd run to them like ducks to bread crumbs.

Run out of argument, did we? So much for you having the "higher moral ground".
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #111
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
In my mind spiritual growth and maturity is about coming to terms with one's mortality. All you do is head in the other direction, jumping through hoops and forcing square pegs into round holes.
Ego Ed is a coward and a liar. He also likes any kind of peg he can get into his round holes.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #112
Sol

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post

There you go, that's the little footsoldier for jesus...
Now didn't that feel a just little cathartic hmm.
Tell me that you didn't get just a little frisson of excitement writing that.

Is there anything else you'd like to get of your chest before you nip off down to church and reaffirm your hypocrisy ?

I notice you didn't directly answer any of my questions in a previous post, that's okay I think I got all the answers I need from the one quoted.

As it is Sunday, I will be at my church all day today, but feel free to shed some more of that cognitive dissonance you must have.

Perhaps later, we may dance some more...

love and peace

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #113
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I've come to a place in my book regarding the existence of the soul

The only 'soul' you've acquired, like all of us, is a very efficient shitting R-Soul.
Perhaps when you've finally avoided telling those here who give a fuck what a 'god' is, you can move on and provide further amusement by wheadling out an avoidance of describing a 'soul'.

On the other hand, don't bother, I've had my dose of terminal gibberish for one day.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #114
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Sol wrote View Post
love and peace
You were just far too gentle. Broken glass is fine - but razor wire is much better.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #115
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
As a reminder, Stargazer wrote View Post
if you come onto this forum and assert that there is a God, boy, then you better prove it.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Can't do that for you.
Actually, you can. You can at least try. If you make an assertion, it's up to you to prove it, and not to avoid the question by asserting something and then attempting to say it's the other person's responsibility to prove it.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You want to be an atheist.
Duh. And you want to be a theist.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
If you want to be an atheist, your mind is completely closed.
Conjecture. You can't read my mind.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You will only see evidence that supports your point of view.
The same could be said of you.

But I think our definitions of "evidence" differ.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
On the contrary, I read books by atheists all the time, and watch lecture videos on YouTube as well.
And how do you know what I read? I have stated before that since a very young age, I have been a student of mythology, and, for me, that includes Christian mythology. I have read books from both sides, as you have, and come to my own conclusions. They just don't happen to be the same as yours.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
And I struggle. I've come to a place in my book regarding the existence of the soul which has me puzzled, and if I don't find a way out of it, through it, over it, whatever, my belief in life after death could end.
I'm glad your intellectual exploration has caused you to think. That is a good thing. But you're not the only one.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I also am an intellectual pioneer. But perhaps my perception of truth differs from yours.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Good. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You see, I'm not an intellectual coward.
No one on this forum is. And I hope none of us find it necessary to throw names like "intellectual coward" at those who disagree with them.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
And I believe in this trial that God will not let me down. I have so much faith in fact, that I won't even pray for an answer--not yet anyway--because I know that would be too easy. I want to see if I can figure it out first, so I am deliberately not praying for the solution. Becasue if I do, He'll give it to me. He's done it before, and I want a little more of a challenge.
Ok. Your opinion.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I am satisfied with my life. I don't need the above, nor do I want it. This, I think, is something you find difficult to accept.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
I hope not. Save something for the book.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB

Last edited by Stargazer; 02-05-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Had to fix quote
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #116
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Yeah! Fuck you, Stargazer!

Does factual scientific evidence support your insistence that humans evolved from one-celled organisms or do they back Ego's Tales of Bronze Age Morons where we came from the Adam and Eve magic show? OK, well, you are right there, but how about the age of the Earth, then, you close-minded goddamn atheist? Do the facts support your supposition that the Earth is millions..oh..did I say millions?...I mean billions of years old, or do the facts back up the myths in Ego's book of fairy babble? OK, well, so you were right again there. But...but...how about the soul?!!! Huh? Surely you aren't going to deny that humans have eternal souls that will live forever? Of course, other animals don't have souls, but we surely do, because we are God's pets. If you eat your zombie savior's flesh and drink his blood, you will surely live forever! You have such a closed mind to deny this!

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #117
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

This is scary delusion. Really Egor, unless this is a wet fart of a joke,which I hope it is, you need some help bud.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #118
orangeitis

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
See that's what you want to say. That's what you've wanted to say even before you asked her. Again, she probably "wants" to be an atheist because that's the viewpoint that empirical evidence supports. If evidence of a deity was discovered by humanity, she would probably become a theist upon accepting the evidence. If you'd stop ignoring me, you would have already known this. ;_;

You need to stop trying to avoid questions and to stop avoiding giving facts. You need to stop telling us what we are and how we think, even if it's just for the sake of argument.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
No, you see what you want to be the truth where it probably isn't. You attribute things to a divine interaction with the world, when it has no evidence of divine interaction.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Why would you get nervous? Especially if you're right. You shouldn't fear what people say, whether they're telling you truth or lies. You just don't want to be wrong. That's being close-minded...

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You've just make a hypocritical statement right there. Faith in and of itself is intellectual dishonesty. By definition.

And before you claim that I have to have faith in something, I do not. I have reasonable expectations based on reality, and I have trust that has been gained by other people. But I do not have faith in anything. Faith is intellectual gullibility.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
More than you'll ever have in your entire life, I'd wager.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
That's just an excuse. An excuse to avoid a real discussion. Tell me Egor, what are you trying to accomplish in this thread? You're just talking nonsense, and when we ask for a decent argument, you avoid the questions as hard as you can by claims that we aren't open-minded, when it is in fact you that isn't open-minded... otherwise, you wouldn't assert any claims about us, and discuss openly with us for the sake of argument. Hell, I seem to be the only one even taking you serious now(besides Stargazer), because of your blatant unwillingness to carry on a mature discussion. Is that really what you want?

Again, what are you even trying to accomplish?
orangeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #119
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
orangeitis wrote View Post
Faith is intellectual gullibility.

I read your entire post, but this is the best part.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #120
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
orangeitis wrote View Post
Again, what are you even trying to accomplish?
Apart from being a Poe, E-Bore wants to demonstrate just how full of drivelling shit it's possible for a christard to be. He's succeeded admirably.

Stop the Holy See men!