Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
inkadu
Obsessed Member
 
inkadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Inklandia
Posts: 3,389
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
ocmpoma
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dunno 'bout parasites, but I've always wanted to read The Ants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Evil_Mage_Ra
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?
You missed the most interesting one of all: A type of parasitic barnacle that attaches to crabs and resembles the crab's egg sac. The crab will take care of the parasite as if it were its egg sac, even if the crab in question is a male. Imagine a parasite that would make a grown man act like a pregnant woman. :)

As far as books, I'm not sure what to recommend on a popular level, though this (really expensive) textbook seems to be exactly what you're looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Rat Bastard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?
To each his own, big guy. I personally find Physics 100 times more interesting that almost any other field of study.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
snap crafter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Rat Bastard wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?
To each his own, big guy. I personally find Physics 100 times more interesting that almost any other field of study.
I love psychology, but viral agents and parasites come a close second.

I've always had a leaning toward nature.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 AM   #6
inkadu
Obsessed Member
 
inkadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Inklandia
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
ocmpoma wrote
Dunno 'bout parasites, but I've always wanted to read The Ants.
I think there was a popular edition and a scientific one. I think "Journey to the Ants" is more popular... I started reading one of those, and got bogged down. It's encyclopedic, but throws in some lessons about evolution, specifically some formulas for how completely self-sacrificing critters like ants make sense when you look at the percentage of their genes passed on through their sister queen.

When you look at it closely, nature is just so darn weird. People can't think of things weirder than exist on this world.

Evil Mage Ra: I haven't finished breaking the spell yet, but am excited already about mind-control parasites. All this time, I thought they were just Star Trek inventions (remember that one -- there are actually several episodes which include that theme)... $173 is pretty damn steep; the most I'm willing to go up to is $80. Well, it's an academic topic, so I bet there's an old-edition text book I could get for a song. Well, the OTHER price of a book like that is it's going to make me completely paranoid.

Rat Bastard -- I'd be more interested in Physics if I was better at math. For me, Physics is like having to read really, really slowly.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
LEToxin
Senior Member
 
LEToxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stardust
Posts: 897
Here is a nice little list WITH some info..

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-para.html

Ezekiel 23:20 (New Living Translation)
20 She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey’s and emissions like those of a horse.
LEToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Baphomet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Dawkins mentions two parasites that affect the behavior of it's host. One makes ants crawl up to the tops of grass blades; the other infects rats and makes them act stupid so they can be swallowed by a cat, wherein the parasite can reproduce.

With apologies to Choobus,parasites are way cooler than quantum physics. Back in college, I missed the intro to parasites course, but can anyone recommend a decent introductory text on the critters?
You know what would be really cool?

Alien parasites that give you super powers! Mwhahahaha!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
inkadu
Obsessed Member
 
inkadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Inklandia
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote
Here is a nice little list WITH some info..

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-para.html
Thanks. I felt pleasantly queasy after that. Especially the parasite that infects the eye stalks of snails. :vomit:

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Alien parasites that give you super powers! Mwhahahaha!
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...

I wouldn't mind carrying an alien parasite, especially if it gave me super powers (and, yes, there is a star trek ng episode about just that!)

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Baphomet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Quote:
Project Pitchfork-ToXiN wrote
Here is a nice little list WITH some info..

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-para.html
Thanks. I felt pleasantly queasy after that. Especially the parasite that infects the eye stalks of snails. :vomit:

Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Alien parasites that give you super powers! Mwhahahaha!
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...

I wouldn't mind carrying an alien parasite, especially if it gave me super powers (and, yes, there is a star trek ng episode about just that!)
I was refering to venom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_%28comics%29

But yeah, gene therapy still sounds pretty cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
darwinfish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I had a bio prof who was/is (?) trying to use a disabled flu virus to kill off tumors...since the flu apparently needs to wipe out p53 and in tumors it's usually already defective. you just give someone a flu virus that is unable to knock out p53 and the only cells the flu can infect and kill are tumor cells. simple in theory eh? I only know as much about it as was mentioned in class...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #12
Facehammer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...
Looking at? Viruses have been used as vectors for synthesised DNA for years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
Baphomet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Facehammer wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...
Looking at? Viruses have been used as vectors for synthesised DNA for years.
so it's only a matter of time before they make a zombie virus then?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
snap crafter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Baphomet wrote
Quote:
Facehammer wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Actually, I think I read somewhere that people are looking a viruses as delivery vehicles for gene therapy...
Looking at? Viruses have been used as vectors for synthesised DNA for years.
so it's only a matter of time before they make a zombie virus then?
That's why I've been harping preparedness over the ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST that is bound to happen!

How to prepare? Have an escape plan, sleep with your weapons, and take up jogging/bike riding.

Oh, and avoid cities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
leave my name out!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I hope to never be infected by the christianity parasite! Always lay down tissue on the seat before using public toilets I say!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2000 - , Raving Atheists [dot] com frequency-supranational frequency-supranational