Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #31
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #32
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #33
Kate

Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #34
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Lily must think she's doing science, then (if we stopped there).
LOL. The difference is, that by calling it a 'hypothesis' I'm acknowleging that it's up for review and may be wrong. Lily is coming form the position that her info is pure truth and if we don't get it it's because we're stupid/ demon possessed/ haven't bashed our faces against a book enough.

That level of arrogant closed mindedness is what makes theists dangerous.
Oh brother. You are bat shit crazy. I hate using that phrase but I need to speak your language in the hope that you will get it.

The person you are describing is in your mind only. I have never suggested that any of you are stupid (except when it is wilful) and I have certainly never even hinted that you are demon-possessed. That you are various levels of ignorant ---> informed, is self-evident.

Your senseless rage makes you dangerous. No one is in the slightest danger of anything from me or anyone like me. Well, except for high blood pressure, perhaps.
:lol::lol:

Hmmm.....aren't people that believe this is true:

"From matthew 27: 52-54
"And the graves were opened' and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
And came out of the graves after his resurrection and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the son of god"

...the ones that are truly BAT SHIT crazy?...or matthew crazy?..:lol::lol:..please land. Oh, btw, why are you so afraid and insecure avoiding posting a picture of yourself? Are you ashame of your looks? remember, nobody choose their looks. This would stop the cow jokes and remember since we in this forum are mentally healthy, aka atheists, you do not need to worry, since what we feel horrendous pity for are not unattractive people ( beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but those suffering from a delusion inducing illness unable to tell between fantasy and reality. Think before you speak.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #35
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Quote:
inkadu wrote
Lily must think she's doing science, then (if we stopped there).
LOL. The difference is, that by calling it a 'hypothesis' I'm acknowleging that it's up for review and may be wrong. Lily is coming form the position that her info is pure truth and if we don't get it it's because we're stupid/ demon possessed/ haven't bashed our faces against a book enough.

That level of arrogant closed mindedness is what makes theists dangerous.
Oh brother. You are bat shit crazy. I hate using that phrase but I need to speak your language in the hope that you will get it.

The person you are describing is in your mind only. I have never suggested that any of you are stupid (except when it is wilful) and I have certainly never even hinted that you are demon-possessed. That you are various levels of ignorant ---> informed, is self-evident.

Your senseless rage makes you dangerous. No one is in the slightest danger of anything from me or anyone like me. Well, except for high blood pressure, perhaps.
Here's a plan: Why don't all you peace loving bible thumpers get together and form a voting bloc... so you can vote bible thumping nut jobs into high political offices that will incite the other religions of the world to attack us... thus justifying wars of retribution?

Too late.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #36
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Oh wait! I see the error in my star formation analogy... Sure, it takes 100,000,000 years (on average) to form Deutrium, and thus, heavier elements... but the star can work right away with the basic hydrogen-hydrogen reaction.

But! I've demonstrated how science works! I put out my bullshit hypothesis for peer review (And by 'peer' I mean people a WAY crap load more knowlegeable on this subject than I) then they shoot it down... I learn something in the process because I can't fall back on faith. Were I an actual scientist, I would then correct my hypothesis (or abandon it) and try again.
Whoop! I'm revising my hypothesis again... I find stellar synthesis far more interesting that Lily anyway... Too bad I know so little about it! The quantum tunneling mechanism that gets around the columb barrier appears to do what I thought it did... it forces a star, in order to be stable, to be heated up slowly to the point where the probability of a quantum waveform collapse (Thus converting a proton to a neutron so they can combine to form Deutrium) is lower than straight conversion through crushing the columb barrier with brute force.

This is important because it provides a moderator that prevents super-critical (defined here as energy production in excess of the star's stability requirements) fusion rates that produce MORE heat and fusion... essentially allowing the star to blow up, or at the very least, violently cycle in size.

It's important from a theological point because it demonstrates that a star MUST assemble itself slowly so that it can achieve a stable balance when it becomes hot enough to support quantum tunneling (With it's inherent stabilizing effect of reaction moderation) before getting so hot it just blows all it's fuel at once.

So... to wish a star into existance, you must have a star's mass and energy with which to do it... which is logically impossible. The only way to make a star is through the slow accumulation of material through the gradual force of gravity.

Choobus, if you can gun down my overly simplistic view of this, please do.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #37
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Whoop! I'm revising my hypothesis again... I find stellar synthesis far more interesting that Lily anyway... Too bad I know so little about it! The quantum tunneling mechanism that gets around the columb barrier appears to do what I thought it did... it forces a star, in order to be stable, to be heated up slowly to the point where the probability of a quantum waveform collapse (Thus converting a proton to a neutron so they can combine to form Deutrium) is lower than straight conversion through crushing the columb barrier with brute force...
Dude, did you ever read Flowers for Algernon? Because if you did, you'll understand when I say I'm worried you'll be sweeping the floors at a malt shop in a couple of months.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Method21

:lol: Charlie, did you feed algernon today?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #39
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
inkadu wrote
Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Whoop! I'm revising my hypothesis again... I find stellar synthesis far more interesting that Lily anyway... Too bad I know so little about it! The quantum tunneling mechanism that gets around the columb barrier appears to do what I thought it did... it forces a star, in order to be stable, to be heated up slowly to the point where the probability of a quantum waveform collapse (Thus converting a proton to a neutron so they can combine to form Deutrium) is lower than straight conversion through crushing the columb barrier with brute force...
Dude, did you ever read Flowers for Algernon? Because if you did, you'll understand when I say I'm worried you'll be sweeping the floors at a malt shop in a couple of months.
Will I get free Malts? That seems ok.

I'm not being insulted, am I? I mean... it's ok if I am, I can take it!

But for now, to teh interwebs! I gotta figure out what the mass difference between 2 protons and a Deutrium nuclei is. That positron and neutrino didn't make themselves!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #40
inkadu
Obsessed Member

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
I'm not being insulted, am I? I mean... it's ok if I am, I can take it!
But for now, to teh interwebs! I gotta figure out what the mass difference between 2 protons and a Deutrium nuclei is. That positron and neutrino didn't make themselves!
Flowers for Algernon is a short story, play, novel, novella, tv show, movie... i think it's been made like into every possible form of dramatic art, including Thai shadow puppets. The story is about a retarded person who is given a medicine to make him smarter. He gets really effin bright, super-genius style, but then starts to slip. He struggles with an impressive knowledge of chemistry, biology, and pharmacology to stop his intellectual decline, but at the end of the novel, he's pushing a broom again.

I was just commenting that you seem to be picking up a lot of esoteric information at a prodigious rate. That's all.

And Meth finally got one of my references.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #41
Method21

Thanks, now fuck off. :thumbsup:

Why the fuck are people insulting my home state? Huh? Do you all hate cows or something? :/
Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #42
Eva
Super Moderator

meth: calm down.....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #43
Rat Bastard

We don't even know what state the little guy is from, anyway..... 'sup, Eva?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #44
Method21

Take a guess, Rat. Cows, CHEESE, beer...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #45
Kate