Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Ed-M

Yuck Alabama Guv: Just Christains are my fambly!

This defies comment.

"Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabam...nor_christians

Judging by his remarks there's no doubt in my mind he's one of those fuckwit evangelicals who think only his kind of Christain is a true "Christian."

Right. This has gotten to be too silly!
Ed-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

He's an asshole. But he's in Alabama. So I'd say the situation breaks even.

I mean: you know what you're getting into in Alabama. It's Ala-fucking-bama.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
nkb
He who walks among the theists

I bet you-know-who has a figurative hard-on, though.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not figurative.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Irreligious
I Live Here

I understand the hoopla, because what Bentley said was so, um, politically incorrect. However, I prefer it when Christians who feel this way are blunt about where they stand, instead of adopting a false air of piety and love for humankind.

All Bentley was saying is that he no real respect for those who do not share his preferred delusion. They are, in effect, his enemies.

If my governor felt this way, I'd definitely want to know that.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

And of course, when his office tried to bullshit the idiot out of the mire -

Quote:
Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.
..... no mention of non-christians. Shirley not significant, but it's bound to piss off the mooslims!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Victus
Obsessed Member

Make everybody's lives better? Such humility.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Surely he'll enforce the command of his savior Jesus Christ and ban divorce, seeing as how Alabama rates roughly third in the nation by divorce rate.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
ghoulslime
I Live Here

And why was it that rational members of the US population feel a need to form defensive groups?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Ed-M

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
And why was it that rational members of the US population feel a need to form defensive groups?
Tell me about it.

Right. This has gotten to be too silly!
Ed-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Broga
Obsessed Member

"Alabama rates third in the USA by divorce rate." There seems to be no connection between what they preach and what they do. But then its all just bullshit anyway. Even these fundamentalist nutters don't actually believe the bible any more than Roman Catholic priests belief they should be kind to children.

In passing, in the UK another absolutely wonderful and admired parish priest has been charged with sexually abusing children. We are shocked and stunned say his flock. We all admired him so much.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Broga wrote View Post
"Alabama rates third in the USA by divorce rate." There seems to be no connection between what they preach and what they do.
And yet the gays are going to ruin marriage.

As the eminent philosopher ghoulslime so eloquently put it: ""

I'm just waiting for the follow-up exposé that reveals the Guv's sordid secret life of drugs and Argentinian mistresses.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Jimble

Quote:
Broga wrote View Post
"Alabama rates third in the USA by divorce rate." There seems to be no connection between what they preach and what they do. But then its all just bullshit anyway. Even these fundamentalist nutters don't actually believe the bible any more than Roman Catholic priests belief they should be kind to children.
Now that's not true, that Ted Haggard was completely anti-gay, no, wait, hold on.

You don't have the right not to be offended.
Jimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Broga
Obsessed Member

I think it is a positive advantage if these preachers are subborned by the devil, shag their secretaries over a desk, empty the coffers of their church and then see the light. As in, "I was lost but now I am found, the Lord has saved me, the devil has been defeated and I am a better christian for my experience."

Reminds me a bit of that ancient saint who said, "Let me be celibate but not yet."
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
anthonyjfuchs wrote View Post
And yet the gays are going to ruin marriage.

As the eminent philosopher ghoulslime so eloquently put it: ""

I'm just waiting for the follow-up exposé that reveals the Guv's sordid secret life of drugs and Argentinian mistresses.
Wha..what? I've got Argentinian mistresses? Even in this drug-induced stupor, I should remember that.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote