good news!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080909/...entology_trial

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
raedar

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
It would make me happier if they were going after the Baptists. Think of how much money they've swindled out of us.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Why stop at the Craptists? They're all just a bunch of Robbin' Bastards.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Scientologists convicted of fraud

When's the rest of the world gonna stand up and be counted?

Quote:
A French court has convicted the Church of Scientology of fraud, but stopped short of banning the group from operating in France.
Two branches of the group's French operations and its leader in France have been fined, reports say.
Pity they stopped short!

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Broga
Obsessed Member

If they look to the paedophile priests the answer to the finding will come easily, "They were not true Scientologists."

As in "they were not true christians." The rule stands firm. If you behave badly you are, by that very fact, not a "true christian." Or, and this gets on on wick big time, "You only think you are an atheist but one day you will discover you are a christian."

If I had raped a child I would have been a prime example of atheism.

I think the French Court fined them around £500,000.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
PhilOchsLives

One thing I don't understand is that the Scientologist fuckwads lost, but that the French government didn't move to shut down their operations. Only to warn them to "stay on the right side of the law". That's bogus! Shut those motherfuckers down!

Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process imbedded in the human spirit--Abbie Hoffman.
PhilOchsLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
PhilOchsLives wrote View Post
One thing I don't understand is that the Scientologist fuckwads lost, but that the French government didn't move to shut down their operations. Only to warn them to "stay on the right side of the law". That's bogus! Shut those motherfuckers down!
I've read that they aren't able to shut them down because of a momentary loophole in their law.

Quote:
The court was unable to impose a ban because of a legal amendment that was passed just before the trial began, preventing the banning of an organisation convicted of fraud.
However, that amendment has now been changed.
"It is very regrettable that the law quietly changed before the trial," Georges Fenech, the head of the Inter-ministerial Unit to Monitor and Fight Cults, told French TV.
"The system has now been put in place by parliament and it is certain that in the future, if new offences are committed, a ban could eventually be pronounced," he said.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Whisper

While I wholeheartedly agree that Scientology should be kicked out of everywhere and shown to be the useless badly-written sci-fi wank that it is - I do actually wish people would do this to the Catholic's.

The Catholic church has done far worse for much longer and it is STILL getting away with it - and the only reasoning I can come up with for it, is that it's older and people are just too damned used to it being there and being in power. So they don't want to fuck with the status-quo. Argh.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Whisper wrote View Post
While I wholeheartedly agree that Scientology should be kicked out of everywhere and shown to be the useless badly-written sci-fi wank that it is - I do actually wish people would do this to the Catholic's.

The Catholic church has done far worse for much longer and it is STILL getting away with it - and the only reasoning I can come up with for it, is that it's older and people are just too damned used to it being there and being in power. So they don't want to fuck with the status-quo. Argh.
The status quo is very lucrative both in money and in power for the clergy in the RCC. That is a self-preserving setup. It is why the RCC has lasted and why it is damned hard to break.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Whisper

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
The status quo is very lucrative both in money and in power for the clergy in the RCC. That is a self-preserving setup. It is why the RCC has lasted and why it is damned hard to break.
I didn't fail to notice the money thing or the power thing (recently I found out exactly HOW powerful the RCC is in Italy, I mean, woah) It's rather a given, really.

Obviously, toppling that power is going to take an awful lot more than a few trials here or there. It would be nice if the people who follow that particular church would take on board the whole pedophile, rape and general sex-scandle cover-up's they do and force the church to answer the necessary questions without fudging.

I doubt it will happen though. Or at least, not anytime soon.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Brother Frog has kicked out the appeal and upheld the conviction of the lying fraudulant pricks.

Quote:
A Paris appeal court on Thursday upheld a fraud conviction and a fine of hundreds of thousands of euros against the Church of Scientology for fleecing vulnerable followers.
Catlickers next?

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Brother Frog has kicked out the appeal and upheld the conviction of the lying fraudulant pricks.

Catlickers next?
This is good. I went back and read the story about why they were convicted of fraud. Hit them where it hurts - in the pocketbook. I only wish the fine had been higher.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

The sciencebollokists are preying on the weak and the vulnerable, hopefully being a newer pile of wank than the other piles of wank people will be less worried about attacking it.

Over time hopefully this will serve to help desensitise people about attacking the older piles of wank also.

The only reason the cat lickers get away with it is because they have been for so long already it is accepted. It's a bit like smoking, if you tried to introduce it today, no western government would allow it.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
The sciencebollokists are preying on the weak and the vulnerable, hopefully being a newer pile of wank than the other piles of wank people will be less worried about attacking it.

Over time hopefully this will serve to help desensitise people about attacking the older piles of wank also.

The only reason the cat lickers get away with it is because they have been for so long already it is accepted. It's a bit like smoking, if you tried to introduce it today, no western government would allow it.
Good point. "It's always been this way" is sometimes difficult to overcome. But it's a lame justification for anything.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Most of us realise Hubbard's scientology is a grade 1 load of wank, but this charming piece has a quick look at just how dangerous the wank is in comparison to the major world horseshit stories. Most of it made me chortle, except for the sentence about scraping the skin from one's penis with a potato peeler - which made more than just my eyes water.

Stop the Holy See men!