Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 AM   #3046
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
That's wonderful JJ, you must be really proud!

Just so everyone knows, hate to brag, but beyond my clinical practice I'm also a Neuro and Cardiovascular research scientist - I've published several dozen papers. My field is more related to novel methods for treating blood flow disturbances - ischemia - than neural activity however.

Yes, we Christians are a smart bunch!!! Not sitting behind a screen at Hertz Van rental Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Praise the Lord!!
I mentioned my daughter because neuroscience is so fascinating to me. She loved it as well which is amazing to me, and my wife is a nurse with a BSN who did her internship on a Neurosurgery floor. So, I WAS privy from my daughter when she wasn't busy, which was rarely, to discussions regarding this subject. Now she's in med school so we talk weekly. She just wrapped up her Cardiovascular unit with the big test behind her, and will be studying the respiratory system next. We have a medical connection, Andrew.

The medical "stuff" from my daughter and wife evens out my brain from business thinking for I operate a small business. It's not too small actually but manageable.

The other young adult we have is finding his way at this point in time, headed for business type endeavors.

God has obviously gifted you with talent in research. Very interesting.

Here, I thought you were a flippin' burgers at some hamburger joint, and of course I 'm really a Walmart greeter.....

JJ
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #3047
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Of all the things you have written I believe that last sentence most.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #3048
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
JerryJohn wrote View Post
I mentioned my daughter because neuroscience is so fascinating to me. She loved it as well which is amazing to me, and my wife is a nurse with a BSN who did her internship on a Neurosurgery floor. So, I WAS privy from my daughter when she wasn't busy, which was rarely, to discussions regarding this subject. Now she's in med school so we talk weekly. She just wrapped up her Cardiovascular unit with the big test behind her, and will be studying the respiratory system next. We have a medical connection, Andrew.

The medical "stuff" from my daughter and wife evens out my brain from business thinking for I operate a small business. It's not too small actually but manageable.

The other young adult we have is finding his way at this point in time, headed for business type endeavors.

God has obviously gifted you with talent in research. Very interesting.

Here, I thought you were a flippin' burgers at some hamburger joint, and of course I 'm really a Walmart greeter.....

JJ
A66 & JJ sharing a crack pipe.....

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #3049
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
Of all the things you have written I believe that last sentence most.
Oh Kinich, so nice.. your little quips.
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #3050
Davin
Obsessed Member

It's weird and kind of sad to see the lies they come up with about their lives.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #3051
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
The Judge wrote View Post
Thanks dogpet
Are you talking about confinement (prison / psychiatric detention) or execution here because the finality of one precludes any attempt at effecting meaningful change?
No, nothing like that Judge. I was asking about the opinion of some religious types. That without faith many of the sheeple would become antisocial & criminal, & if so it may be best for all to not disrupt their happy delusion.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #3052
Davin
Obsessed Member

Brain Surgeon

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #3053
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
No, nothing like that Judge. I was asking about the opinion of some religious types. That without faith many of the sheeple would become antisocial & criminal, & if so it may be best for all to not disrupt their happy delusion.
Doubtful. After all, loot, steal, lie, cheat, rape, murder, then just say the magic word - Jesus, and all is forgiven. Welcome to heaven!

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 01-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #3054
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Odd that our two brain surgeons are posting in a little atheist blog - you'd think they would be busy impressing their colleagues with articles in medical journals....

Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #3055
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Andrew66 wrote
Quote:

Just so everyone knows, hate to brag, but beyond my clinical practice I'm also a Neuro and Cardiovascular research scientist - I've published several dozen papers. My field is more related to novel methods for treating blood flow disturbances - ischemia - than neural activity however.

Yes, we Christians are a smart bunch!!! Not sitting behind a screen at Hertz Van rental Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Praise the Lord!!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #3056
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Andrew66 wrote
Quote:

Old 01-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #3057
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Before I respond, please define what you mean by "Omni-max" God?
Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Ahhh, I see.

Yeah that's just bollocks because it assumes that the religious have a monopoly on ethics and that most humans are little better than animals.

If that were true it should amaze these people that we as a group don't commit casual murder, eat babies and drink the blood of virgins. The fact that we do none of these things despite lacking religion is somehow lost on their little minds.

Invisibility and nothingness look an awful lot alike.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #3058
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
JerryJohn wrote View Post
Yes it did. My daughter is a first year medical student at Northwestern and her undergraduate degree was Neuorscience at Vanderbilt.

An interesting topic indeed.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate hearing your point of view.

JJ
You're welcome. Good luck to your daughter.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #3059
The Judge
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew"There, all fixed"66 wrote View Post
Well

Looking at scripture - it is not so completely clear as you make it that what is described is an Omnimax God.

For example, there is scripture which says God "Knows all things" but it doesn't elaborate that God explicitly knows the future for each and every human. It could be that God knows all things at present state only, and since he knows all the players and the physics in our environment maximally well he can predict the future with near flawless certainty.
First off you just basically said that "god" CAN tell the future with "near flawless certainty."

And FYI I never started down the road of saying that this posed some sort of "conundrum" with regard to free will. If you'd actually read my previous post to JJ you'd have understood this. Alas, you have not done / were not capable of doing this.

Quote:
With regards to there being evil in the world, you suggest that is incompatible with a perfectly loving God. Very short sited![sic]

You see (please pay attention here ) - it is not as clear as you think what a perfectly "loving" and "benevolent" God may do.
Umm...I'm pretty sure "he" wouldn't have permitted the holocaust, child rape and murder, bone cancer in children, ANY natural disaster costing swathes of human life (need I really I go on?)

I feel that I am not the one being short "sighted" (that was what you meant wasn't it?!)

Quote:
Maybe it is the most perfect love for God to give his children freedom (over tyranny!) - even at a price of introducing evil.!! Hence one could say God is "maximized" in his love - allowing for free will.
Three things here:
1.) You're just fucking wrong for all the reasons I've already listed
2.) This pathetic and weak piece of crap answer completely fails to take into account the fall out from natural disasters/suffering (including animal suffering too if you want to make it a bit more interesting).
3.) The free will of victims to not be maimed, murdered, or tortured is clearly less important to your version of a "god" than those who just happen to be stronger with more weapons.

Your ignorance is really beginning to foul up this place Mr. "fix it." It is frankly deeply disheartening that there are advocates of your simple, puerile and fucked up belief system that are so achingly simple and naive as you.

I still submit to you that you need to "fix" your own beliefs Mr. "fix it" to be a little more coherent.

Either you are a deist and believe in a mere multi-max "god" or you're a christian and you believe in an omni-max god (you've already admitted to its omniscience above, how about the rest?)

Old 01-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #3060
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Oh Kinich, so nice.. your little quips.
LOL. Yes, very um,well shall we say, "charming" in a quircky way.

JJ
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote