Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #61
Ema

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
magnetic fields? Fuck, I thought it was all to do with crystals and chi power lines and shit.

When people blame magnetic fields for stuff they don't understand I would be more ready to listen if they first demonstrate that they do understand Maxwell's equations. Instead you just get all these ghost hunting arseholes with their "spirit detectors" that register "power surges" associated with paraplegicparanormal activity that some twat made out of an old multimeter. It's functionally the same as Spock and his tricorder, except presumably Mr Nimoy knew that the tv show he was making was entirely fictional.
From what I understand, it's not much different than something like a hard drive. I don't actually think spirits and ghosts exist, however.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #62
Choobus
I Live Here

What is like a hard drive? You can safely stick your head into a 5 Tesla magnetic field which wipe clean any kind of hard drive. Humans are very insensitive to magnetic fields and the claim that they explain hallucinations is nothing more than bullshit.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #63
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Do magnetic fields explain premature ejaculation?
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #64
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

If you're putting a hard drive into it, yeah.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #65
Disciple of Christ

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
I don't see your point. Atheism is not the rejection of a belief in ghosts. I still believed in ghosts back when I was "just" an atheist. And I'm still somewhat scared of the dark, because stuff like that isn't easy to shake off, even if you're fully rational otherwise.
I'm new to this thread and forum, but I could not help to respond to this message from you. Are you telling us that atheists believe the soul continues after death? I'm confused.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #66
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Disciple of Christ wrote View Post
I'm confused.
No shit sherlock!

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #67
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Disciple of Christ wrote View Post
I'm new to this thread and forum, but I could not help to respond to this message from you. Are you telling us that atheists believe the soul continues after death? I'm confused.
It's rather stupid to talk about what atheists believe. They can and do believe all different types of things. However, atheists don't believe in a God or gods. Otherwise, they have no other shared tenets. Atheism is not a religion.

Some atheists are less skeptical than others and might actually believe in goofy things, like alleged souls, houses that are allegedly haunted and the alleged supernatural powers of alleged soothsayers.

Some atheists pride themselves on being as rational as possible. Others are less so, apparently.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #68
Disciple of Christ

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
It's rather stupid to talk about what atheists believe. They can and do believe all different types of things. However, atheists don't believe in a God or gods. Otherwise, they have no other shared tenets. Atheism is not a religion.

Some atheists are less skeptical than others and might actually believe in goofy things, like alleged souls, houses that are allegedly haunted and the alleged supernatural powers of alleged soothsayers.

Some atheists pride themselves on being as rational as possible. Others are less so, apparently.
That was a decent answer. I respect that. Just because an atheist believes the soul continues after death, that doesn't mean there is a God.