Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Tenspace
I Live Here

... So, what do y'all think about this one?

The Boy Who Lived Before

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Just Us Chickens

That’s bizarre, from that article it looks legitimate but these things always turn out to be rigged in some way. I guess I’ll just have to watch the show to find out more.
Good find Ten
Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

The Sun.
Probably the 2nd lowest of the low in the You-Kay arsenal of tabloid pilf.
I'm sure anything printed in it must be absolutely rock solid, unrigged and beyong reproach.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Ickybod

I never believed in reincarnation. Even if it was possible, how can you remember what happened in your other life when you have an entirely different brain without all the memories of your other life in it. This is obviously a hoax.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
Ickybod wrote
I never believed in reincarnation. Even if it was possible, how can you remember what happened in your other life when you have an entirely different brain without all the memories of your other life in it. This is obviously a hoax.
Indeed. When you look at it rationally, you have to see that a brain would have to spontaneously develop non-existant memories without the actual experiences. It reeks of hoax... probably with a good dose of suggestion by the parents.

WAY too many people are too ready to believe in the supernatural... Souls, Ghosts, etc. It's like an Alpha-One Priority circuit in the human brain is genetically predisposed to give the existance of supernatural entities total credibility with no evidence whatsoever.

I'm sure Dawkins would consider this a collateral effect of evolution... not a useful mutation that stuck, but a generally begnign side effect of some evolutionary process that helped us out.... For example, the super pattern recognition that allows us to instantly see danger.

So of course con artists, after realizing the suceptibility of humans to this kind of ruse, developed religion, the occult, and the psychic friends network to bilk people out of their money.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Gnosital
still unsmited

So here's a kid who's been getting a lot of attention reinforcement for making random statements about a place he's never been, but could have seen on TV or heard about in a story or other conversation or freaking DREAMED about. Just asking him questions about his story would reinforce his memory of his previous statements, and encourage him to continue to elaborate on the theme. He may have made a hundred other statements about his "past life" which DIDN'T turn out to be corroborated, but which ones do you think the article would mention, and which ones would the family members most likely recall him having said? Do you really think that his questioners would be able to avoid leading him with even non-verbal cues to make the correct identifications under a test conditon, like when they "didn't say anything when they drove by the house"?

He comes up with a specific name for his father, and a means of demise, but there is no evidence of the person or the accident. He "recognizes" a house that fits a fairly generic description (white, by the bay, like THAT's hard to find) and apparently planes land on beaches in that area of the country pretty much as a rule. He makes very specific statements about the mother's appearance, none of which are corroborated.

About the only specific thing he mentioned that turned out to be accurate was the 3 toilets. I mean, WOW~

I call that a dearth of "hits", and an overwheliming majority of misses.

That's not even to BEGIN to question the authenticity of the report, which is automatically suspect because of the source (tabloids aren't known for their accurate and unbiased reporting of facts).

My kids come up with weird shit on occasion too, but I don't feel the need to delve into the deepest meanings of every random thought process that they verbalize, and then take it to an extreme and unfounded conclusion based on my own perceptual biases. Because to do so would actually be fucking with their minds.

Utter bollocks.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Choobus
I Live Here

:o

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
The Sun.
I'm sure anything printed in it must be absolutely rock solid, unrigged and beyong reproach.
what's lower? Daily mail? Sunday sport?

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
RenaissanceMan

Quote:
scathach wrote
So here's a kid who's been getting a lot of attention reinforcement for making random statements about a place he's never been, but could have seen on TV or heard about in a story or other conversation or freaking DREAMED about. Just asking him questions about his story would reinforce his memory of his previous statements, and encourage him to continue to elaborate on the theme. He may have made a hundred other statements about his "past life" which DIDN'T turn out to be corroborated, but which ones do you think the article would mention, and which ones would the family members most likely recall him having said? Do you really think that his questioners would be able to avoid leading him with even non-verbal cues to make the correct identifications under a test conditon, like when they "didn't say anything when they drove by the house"?

He comes up with a specific name for his father, and a means of demise, but there is no evidence of the person or the accident. He "recognizes" a house that fits a fairly generic description (white, by the bay, like THAT's hard to find) and apparently planes land on beaches in that area of the country pretty much as a rule. He makes very specific statements about the mother's appearance, none of which are corroborated.

About the only specific thing he mentioned that turned out to be accurate was the 3 toilets. I mean, WOW~

That's not even to BEGIN to question the authenticity of the report, which is automatically suspect because of the source (tabloids aren't known for their accurate and unbiased reporting of facts).

My kids come up with weird shit on occasion too, but I don't feel the need to delve into the deepest meanings of every random thought process that they verbalize, and then take it to an extreme and unfounded conclusion based on my own perceptual biases. Because to do so would actually be fucking with their minds.

Utter bollocks.
Yup, utter bollocks.

The most interesting aspect of this is... why would ANYONE give any credence at all to this shit? What anomaly in the human mind makes people go ga ga over stuff like this? And... why don't people realize they're being stupid and stop?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
Gnosital
still unsmited

Most people have no real reason to live I guess.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
The Sun.
what's lower? Daily mail? Sunday sport?
I was thinking of the Times !

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #12
skribb

What utter shit.

If reincarnation WAS possible, how on earth does your "soul" or whatever enter a sperm - and what are the odds of that particular sperm fertilising the mother's ovum (there's a 99,99999999999999% chance of it NOT doing that)? Since the boy is six years old, of course he says he just "went into his mother's tummy" since he knows jack shit about procreation.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
Quote:
scathach wrote

Utter bollocks.
Yup, utter bollocks.

The most interesting aspect of this is... why would ANYONE give any credence at all to this shit? What anomaly in the human mind makes people go ga ga over stuff like this? And... why don't people realize they're being stupid and stop?
Nuh uhh. It's real I tells yah. Because the article indicated as much. Why would they make this up? They simply wouldn't.

Now if you'll excuse me, Gandalf is summoning me and I must get to the Shire.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
psikeyhackr

How many times have I posted this here?

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Haven't used this one though I mentioned the book.

http://www.softforall.com/store/Revi...851938-10.html

Similar cases, some where they found people the kid knew.

psik
Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
psikeyhackr wrote
How many times have I posted this here?

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Haven't used this one though I mentioned the book.

http://www.softforall.com/store/Revi...851938-10.html

Similar cases, some where they found people the kid knew.

psik
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one!

:|

:(

You are joking, of course.......aren't you? I hope.....