Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 AM   #286
mud

I'd have to throw my full support behind StillSurviving here...er, well almost full support.Up to the point where the gov. intervenes(aren't they in our personal lives enough already?!). I think this would have to be the call of the individual(s) involved.
I myself am a big proponent of personal responsibility. There are laws in place designed specifically to make sure us men are responsible(at least monetarily) for any of our offspring. We don't have the luxury of deciding whether or not it would be 'inconvenient' to have a child-we are responsible, therefore we pay. So to be fair, I think we must either strike the existing laws from the books, or enforce the same responsibility in women.
Having said that, I think the only true solution is better education of the population(it just might help eradicate religion too).
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #287
Ownthink

"I am obviously in no position to explain the judgment process of the almighty. I would say however that if the rapist truly did repent and accept Jesus as his savior, then I would imagine that even the fact of having to live with that act on his consience for the rest of his life would be somewhat of a punishment in itself. Even though God truly does forgive us, I think that the regrets of our sins are punishment as well as warnings in our lives."

I found this to be funny as hell.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #288
lodger16

You raised several seemingly good points, which under scrutiny are bad reasoning. The fact that drug dealers are punished for using their bodies to smuggle drugs does not mean that the law makes sense. America has fought a failed drug war for decades, with no end in sight. I won't belabor the topic here.
You correctly state that access to birth control would virtually eliminate the need for abortion. But you fail to mention that the most vocal abortion opponents, including the vatican and fundamentalist Christians, oppose all birth control, except for abstinence. Very unrealistic. George W. Bush genuflects to these groups by attaching the demand that condoms and other birth control methods not be used in Africa, as a condition of receiving US aid for AIDS prevention and treatment.
You are right, I suppose, that pregnancy by rape is relatively rare. But suppose YOU were the victim. What if the most despicable person you ever met raped you and knew that the force of law would force you to have his child? How would YOU feel about that?
Lastly, I personally can never accept that a zygote, made up of two cells, deserves the same legal protection as a person made up of trillions of cells. When I go to the grocery, I have no problem telling a carton of eggs from a whole chicken. I guess some people just don't get it.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #289
MrsMoe

Why does aborttion have to be so black and white - yes or no? I think the true issue isn't abortion itself, but at what stage an abortion is performed and how far that mass of cells has come to develop.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #290
Lurker

Quote:
MrsMoe wrote
Why does aborttion have to be so black and white - yes or no? I think the true issue isn't abortion itself, but at what stage an abortion is performed and how far that mass of cells has come to develop.
All of this would lead you to another yes or no answer (stage, development, etc) so you're still stuck with abortion being black & white.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #291
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
lodger16 wrote
Lastly, I personally can never accept that a zygote, made up of two cells, deserves the same legal protection as a person made up of trillions of cells. When I go to the grocery, I have no problem telling a carton of eggs from a whole chicken. I guess some people just don't get it.
Excellent analogy. :)

Tenspace

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #292
Evil_Mage_Ra

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
Quote:
lodger16 wrote
Excellent analogy. :)

Tenspace
I guess pro-lifers are the vegans of society.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #293
Amazonis

Quote:
MrsMoe wrote
The problem with this is that most anti-abortionists are more concerned with the taking away of the fetus' future life as a developed human, rather than how developed the life is at the time of the abortion (which is usually based on religous morals). So for them the issue is black and white, without shades of grey. However i beleive that the future prospects of the fetus' life are irrelivant in this ussue, so i suppose i am looking at it from a black and white perspective too. :/
Old 06-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #294
MrsMoe

I just don't get why an elective abortion at 24 weeks is legal, when at the end of 24 weeks the fetus can survive in intensive care. Where do they come up with the magic cut off date?

BTW - in Canada, all stages of abortion are legal for whatever reason.