Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 AM   #31
RenaissanceMan

My only weakness as an Athiest is the frustration I feel when Theists think it's proper to use whatever bullshit they pull out of their ass to 'discuss' Theism.

For example: The Antropic principle. Arguing that only 'god' could have set up the universe so that we could exist is like saying only 'god' can produce lightning.

If you don't know how lighning is produced, then say so.

If you don't know how the universe could have happened such that we can exist, then just say so.

Every time I see a misuse of the term 'god' or yet another horrific 'god of the gaps' argument I want to pull out a 2x4 and go to work!

A 2x4 with a nail in it. A big nail. That's rusty.

Now... to be fair... if you want to posit that unknown entities created lightning, or the universe, or the perfect cup of coffee... that's fine, but discuss it like a hypothesis... not a belief.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #32
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Ren, most of these wigglers don't know any difference between a belief and an hypothesis.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #33
darwinfish

Quote:
RenaissanceMan wrote
A 2x4 with a nail in it. A big nail. That's rusty.
that was always my favorite weapon in games
Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #34
Stargazer

My biggest weakness? In being an atheist? Tolerance. It gets me chewed out by both theists and atheists.

But I've been an atheist since I was a child, and am too old to change now.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #35
skribb

Quote:
Stargazer wrote
My biggest weakness?
But I've been an atheist since I was a child, and am too old to change now.
You say it like it's a bad thing.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #36
HappyNat

Quote:
Yeah, sucks to be you. Of course I'm lucky because apparently there are more male atheists than female; mostly because girls tend to be ruled by their emotions. I could never be converted with 'love'.

It's kind of strange then that I'm good friends with at least four female non-believers, not including myself, and they're all smokin' hot I might add. And we all met by chance, not at some atheist convention or anything. Maybe atheists are drawn to each other.
I feel very fortunate to have an agnostic wife. She knows it is all bullshit, but won't let herself think of a world without an afterlife. She is very smart and knows my arguments make sense she doesn't want to accept them. I've gotten pretty good at challenging her to the point where my arguments start to make her upset and then I drop it . . .for another couple weeks.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #37
A.M. Clear

My biggest weakness would be that I could get hurt and offended very easily. I've met liberals and gay/bi people who are theists. There are some who would go and criticise the atheists who find something wrong in religion (e.g. Sam Harris). This makes me feel alone. I have the tendency to wish that I could be as "tolerant" as they are. Then, I wouldn't be ostracised.

Then, come the habits, but that is not very effective. I was never the religious type. I did believe as a child, but I didn't really care about prayers, the Bible, etc.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #38
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
A.M. Clear wrote
My biggest weakness would be that I could get hurt and offended very easily. I've met liberals and gay/bi people who are theists. There are some who would go and criticise the atheists who find something wrong in religion (e.g. Sam Harris). This makes me feel alone. I have the tendency to wish that I could be as "tolerant" as they are. Then, I wouldn't be ostracised.

Then, come the habits, but that is not very effective. I was never the religious type. I did believe as a child, but I didn't really care about prayers, the Bible, etc.
You wish you were as tolerant as theists?

That's like saying you wish you were as thin as Rosie O'Donnell. Or as straight as Rosie O'Donnell. Or as attractive as Rosie O'Donnell.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #39
A.M. Clear

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
A.M. Clear wrote

You wish you were as tolerant as theists?

That's like saying you wish you were as thin as Rosie O'Donnell. Or as straight as Rosie O'Donnell. Or as attractive as Rosie O'Donnell.
I know, but that type of lonliness could give me the stupidest feelings. :wall:
Old 11-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
Choobus
I Live Here

Tolerance can be a weakness; some things should not be tolerated. Should we tolerate racists and homophobes? Should we tolerate cults that eschew medicine and lead to children dying for want of a simple injection? Should we tolerate religious opinions deciding whjat sort of scientific research is acceptable? Should we tolerate women being treated like second class citizens and made to wear haloween costumes all year round? Should we tolerate those who knowingly sell useless "healing crystals" to sick and gullible people?
It's all well and good proclaiming how tolerant you are, but why don't you express it in a more accurate manner. You are prime fodder for manipulative con merchants and it is this sucker mentaloty that allows them to thrive. Usually they are harmless and simply relieve fools of some of their money, but sometimes they cause harm, and in those causes you rely on the rest of society to protect you from your own insipid vapidity. If you are so willing to "tolerate" shit don't be surprised when opportunistic dadwankers try to sell you their magic farts.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #41
A.M. Clear

Quote:
Choobus wrote
Tolerance can be a weakness; some things should not be tolerated. Should we tolerate racists and homophobes? Should we tolerate cults that eschew medicine and lead to children dying for want of a simple injection? Should we tolerate religious opinions deciding whjat sort of scientific research is acceptable? Should we tolerate women being treated like second class citizens and made to wear haloween costumes all year round? Should we tolerate those who knowingly sell useless "healing crystals" to sick and gullible people?
It's all well and good proclaiming how tolerant you are, but why don't you express it in a more accurate manner. You are prime fodder for manipulative con merchants and it is this sucker mentaloty that allows them to thrive. Usually they are harmless and simply relieve fools of some of their money, but sometimes they cause harm, and in those causes you rely on the rest of society to protect you from your own insipid vapidity. If you are so willing to "tolerate" shit don't be surprised when opportunistic dadwankers try to sell you their magic farts.
I do belief that this "tolerance" concept is very weak. I did make a complaint about it on a thread I created. Look at what it has done! Sometimes, we get idiocy and political correctness as a result. These things do not help and make matters worse. Yet, it seems to be a popular concept. You don't have it, and you're accused of being a dick. Yes, I do have a reason to not tolerate, but fitting in the crowd is the stupid and temporary method to relieve the problem of being misunderstood. It just shows how people, like myself, do crazy things to be "happier" or some shit like that.

The good part is that I do not let many harmful groups brainwash me. It can literally kill me. Sometimes, I do wish to tell people that our views can save the world. Atheists are not here to kill people. We're here to make a fucking change. Hopefully, people would understand that sooner or later. Another benefit is when I still haven't changed any of my views due to "tolerance." I get the temptation, but I never let go of my ideas. I'd rather point out how good my ideas are.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #42
A.M. Clear

I'm very curious about something. Is this "tolerance" crap most common in the U.S.? I have also heard of European countries doing similar things regarding religious beliefs, though they are more secular.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #43
ManInTheWild

Quote:
A.M. Clear wrote
I'm very curious about something. Is this "tolerance" crap most common in the U.S.? I have also heard of European countries doing similar things regarding religious beliefs, though they are more secular.
Don't be fooled. I can't speak for all of Europe, but the UK is now a hotbed of religious nuttery not all that much different than the US.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #44
A.M. Clear

Quote:
ManInTheWild wrote
Quote:
A.M. Clear wrote
Don't be fooled. I can't speak for all of Europe, but the UK is now a hotbed of religious nuttery not all that much different than the US.
How sad! It reminds me of France. I've heard that the country has to deal with countless crimes commited by Muslims.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #45
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
ManInTheWild wrote
Quote:
A.M. Clear wrote
I can assure you that the UK has nothing on the US as far as religious nuttery goes. There might be more problems with mouthy muslims but the fundamental Christian americans are far more demented. There is a very real chance that abortion will be banned in this country in the near future, and that is merely a turtle head poking through the rectum of god.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote