Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
midway
New Member!

negation - key to paradox

There are two kinds of people : those who [blank] and those who do not. this is akin to "There is no middle age, only old and young." If everybody answers yes or no and there are no maybes then this holds.
Undecidability [using the "not" function]. If the barber shaves only those who do NOT shave themselves then does he shave himself [everyone must be shaved]. There are questions that render yes/no useless.
The quantum two slit experiment shows that when the answer to "did the particle pass thru this slit or the other" is known a different interference pattern results than is if the answer were left at a "maybe".
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
midway
New Member!

What i meant to say is that i have witnessed the superposition of the excluded middle [ and suffered the mental health consequences]
Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
midway
New Member!

a little backwards

There is no god, only a devil. a source of decay not goodness...and the universe does not yet have a beginning. When it gets a beginning there will be no end, for there can only be one OR the other....yes/no?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

There are two types of people in the world, those that say there are two types of people in the world and those that don't.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:08 AM   #5
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
midway wrote View Post
There is no god, only a devil. a source of decay not goodness...and the universe does not yet have a beginning. When it gets a beginning there will be no end, for there can only be one OR the other....yes/no?
The universe cannot have a beginning because there is no time, there is only NOW.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
AtomJack

There are 10 types of people in the world- those who understand binary and those who do not.
AtomJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #7
midway
New Member!

That was truly helpful. I heard there is no even or odd in base 5.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
midway
New Member!

i'm with you up until someone says "it's all good". In the cubic 3D polynomial world, you can't have just two roots - one or three it turns out....and to get the three requires imaginary\unsigned numbers. Only stories/events have a beginning middle and end... for a real solution one may have to drop beginning and end and see it all as one middle and stay real. Then there's timespace, where both must be considered mutually,the reasoning behind the big bang theory. The existence of time in a thermodynamic system... one could say at absolute zero where all motion stops is where the clock stops.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
midway
New Member!

This is the exact statement that got me wondering if it was a paradox or not. If you witness a two-way sport you may decide to take sides. The excluded middle is always slipping away. It has to or there is not logic, no reason... but I like grey area when I can find it.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
midway wrote View Post
i'm with you up until someone says "it's all good". In the cubic 3D polynomial world, you can't have just two roots - one or three it turns out....and to get the three requires imaginary\unsigned numbers. Only stories/events have a beginning middle and end... for a real solution one may have to drop beginning and end and see it all as one middle and stay real. Then there's timespace, where both must be considered mutually,the reasoning behind the big bang theory. The existence of time in a thermodynamic system... one could say at absolute zero where all motion stops is where the clock stops.
I know exactly how you feel.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
I know exactly how you feel.
Does the motion stop because the temperature is so low, or is the temperature so low because the motion stops?

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
AtomJack

Quote:
midway wrote View Post
Can you point me to some vetted literature concerning your "cubic 3D polynomial world", and "timespace" mentions? Also, time does not stop just because the temperature is locally cold...or, if it does, please provide cites for same. Are you a worshiper of the "Time Cube"?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
AtomJack

Quote:
midway wrote View Post
That was truly helpful. I heard there is no even or odd in base 5.
You heard wrong.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
midway
New Member!

Quote:
AtomJack wrote View Post
Can you point me to some vetted literature concerning your "cubic 3D polynomial world", and "timespace" mentions? Also, time does not stop just because the temperature is locally cold...or, if it does, please provide cites for same. Are you a worshiper of the "Time Cube"?
Well, spacetime, I got it backwards it Einstein's idea that on a graph [2d] time and space are perpendicular, but I'm sure you know all that. As for polynomials, there are restrictions in computer science known as polynomial time problems. Descartes said "I think therefore I am", he did much work on polynomials {rule of the signs etc}.A contemporary philosopher, Kant refuted it by injuring himself, stubbing his toe. Math and philosophy haven't really had a good debate since and that was over two hundred years ago.
If time is dropped then a polynomial of degree three is appropriate, time being the fourth dimension usually. These equations were more difficult than quadratics back in the sixteenth century, when they were first approached. To project 3d onto 2d one requires an imaginary or complex dimension. These sorts of facts I find interesting to use as analogy, but I guess some don't like it. As for the end of time, I've never heard of a time cube. Entropy is what I was referring to, not that it's important.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
midway
New Member!

Quote:
AtomJack wrote View Post
You heard wrong.
I'm not sure what the person's reasoning was, that can get quite subjective, however I remembered it because of music time signatures. With light, frequency and wavelength produce a spectrum, the speed of light. Same is true for sound. With music, the tempo and time signature are considered : the speed and number of beats respectively. The interesting thing about the number of beats, that is, the time signature is that it is not broken up into even and odd. [the map between even and odd is 2n-1 and can be applied regardless of base, I am aware of that but even and odd can be seen as a binary function that can be obfuscated\avoided as well]. The time signatures are looked at as either secular or compound, not quite even and odd. Many times, for example a 6/8 can be regarded as a 3/4 but the six is compound time whereas the three is secular time, so really they are not the same fraction when multiplied by two [in music theory]. Oddly enough I learned that about the time that some features of base five were being discussed. Not everybody agrees about what the rules should be, is what it seemed like, so I stopped reading about base five.