Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #61
PZ Myers

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Hey PZ, what do you think of attempts to organize atheist into coherent groups, such as Dennett's "Bright" movement?
I don't like the term "Bright" at all, but otherwise, we must get better organized. We need the kind of structure that allows for a diversity of approaches, though...and the organization can only be nominal. But something where we're able to tell politicians that there is a constituency that will kick them to the curb if they kowtow to the religious is essential.

I prefer the umbrella term "freethinker" for the broad group of people who reject religion, and for my specific class I like the simple "atheist".
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #62
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
PZ Myers wrote View Post
I don't like the term "Bright" at all, but otherwise, we must get better organized. We need the kind of structure that allows for a diversity of approaches, though...and the organization can only be nominal. But something where we're able to tell politicians that there is a constituency that will kick them to the curb if they kowtow to the religious is essential.

I prefer the umbrella term "freethinker" for the broad group of people who reject religion, and for my specific class I like the simple "atheist".
Indeed. The organization needed needs to share nothing except for the goal of lobbying in D.C. against church/state issues.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #63
Eva
Super Moderator

well, think about how many people believed the stuff Brown wrote about in The DaVinci Code....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #64
PZ Myers

Quote:
whoneedscience wrote View Post
Are there any scifi movies you can watch without cringing at terrible science content?
Only if they've got Kate Beckinsale in skin-tight clothing to distract me.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #65
Eva
Super Moderator

are Ellen Johnson and American Atheists that invisible?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #66
Rat Bastard

Hell, Eva, there are people that belive in "Star Wars", for that matter. People are mostly just suckers that want to defer to someone else for their thinking.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #67
PZ Myers

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
PZ, were you really scared with your recent lawsuit? that was big money...
No, not at all. It was too ridiculous. I took it seriously, but never had any doubt about the outcome.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #68
Professor Chaos

Silly question, but just out of curiosity: Where do you stand on the historicity of Jesus?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #69
Professor Chaos

Speak up, fuckers. Don't be shy. I can see you're all in this thread.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #70
PZ Myers

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Silly question, but just out of curiosity: Where do you stand on the historicity of Jesus?
Was there some crazy guy named Jesus running around in Palestine preaching miracles and prophecy? Sure. Probably nothing like the fairy tale Jesus we're supposed to worship, though. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were a composite of many babbling prophets of the time.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #71
Kamikaze189

Do you meditate or do any of that other stuff to "become one with the world"? You know, all Sam Harris-like?

“Whoever attacks the popular falsehoods of his time will find that a lie defends itself by telling other lies.” - Robert Ingersoll
Kamikaze189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #72
Eva
Super Moderator

(were you dissapointed when raving atheist lost his groove?)

H. L. Mencken
Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #73
PZ Myers

Quote:
Kamikaze189 wrote View Post
Do you meditate or do any of that other stuff to "become one with the world"? You know, all Sam Harris-like?
Crap, no.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #74
PZ Myers

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
(were you dissapointed when raving atheist lost his groove?)
Yes. His was one of the first major atheist blogs I found on the web. He just went off in a weird and irrational direction with which I could not sympathize...it was too bad.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #75
Eva
Super Moderator

what a fucking waste of talent, innit? and pardon my french....

but i try to keep in touch with him. after all, he did have the best atheist blog, imho. he is brilliant...

oh well.

H. L. Mencken