Old 04-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #16
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
lurker wrote
Very interesting, but probably just wishful thinking.

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ne/HNDEs.shtml

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #17
ghoulslime
I Live Here

The majority of near-death researchers clearly interpret NDEs as evidence for survival of bodily death. Because many people would like to know that there is an afterlife rather than simply take the notion on faith, it not surprising that 'near-death studies' tends to attract researchers who already believe that NDEs provide evidence for survival. I think it is rather obvious that most near-death researchers have entered the field in order to (1) bolster their belief in survival after death and (2) find out what exactly is going to happen to them when they die. Thus it is hardly a revelation that most of the researchers investigating the phenomenon are confident that NDEs point toward the reality of survival of bodily death.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
dd1989 wrote
no im just wondering how you destroy some ones personality and such like
Marry them

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
HMS Beagle

"...evidence suggests that consciousness may continue after the brain has stopped functioning and a patient is clinically dead..."
The fundamental problem with this interesting research is that none of the 63 subjects actually died. They were deemed clinically dead for a while, but now they are alive and talking to doctors at Southampton General Hospital. I have little problem believing that their neurons danced electrically for a while before fully decaying, and that such activity could produce "thought." But none of the vaguely dreamlike reported thoughts suggest that the consciousness actually left the vicinity of the body. And that is truly my idea of hell. A perpetual state of semiconsciousness trapped near your own putrefying body.
But hey, if it's true, and if we can eventually communicate with the thoughtful dead, I say let's disinter Poe. I'd want to hear how it felt to watch his corpse actually became a cold cut for the Conqueror Worm.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
solidsquid

If I remember correctly the major data was reports after the fact (possibly months, I don't recall exactly). Plenty of time to mull it over and have confabulation take over.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:41 PM   #21
BackupDrive

Of Coarse our brains are not binary. But because you belive you cannot backup any other electrical impluses does not mean that it is not impossible to do so. Our technolgy-mans at this point has been increasing to even to the point of adding smell to email. Because you do not have the equipment in front of you now, today, doesnt mean that it doesnt exist out there. What about technology with silent films in their day and time. I'm sure they thought that adding sound and color was impossible. Sure seems like some of the notations here, that most people appear to be short sighted. We only use a small part of our brain..there is endless possibilities and technologies yet to be discovered by man. How can you say you know for sure as you state that backing up memories, feelings, smells, thought, etc.. is IMPOSSIBLE??? Ever heard someone say a car fell on a man, and another, miraculously picked up the car off the injured man..that was physically impossible.. Maybe our creator sent that extra strenghth (electrically) to the man that lifted the car off the injured man.. HMMM... if electrical impulses can be downloaded..(or any other yet discovered memories..etc...then why could it not be possible to upload your personal data to a backup drive?? The Bible says our Creator will give us new bodies when we pass from this life to another place (heaven). So he may give us new bodies after we pass from this life and download our uploaded soul-brain-memories-feelings-smells..etc????????????????
Old 04-24-2005, 07:07 PM   #22
Spurius Furius

Quote:
BackupDrive wrote
Of Coarse our brains are not binary. But because you belive you cannot backup any other electrical impluses does not mean that it is not impossible to do so. Our technolgy-mans at this point has been increasing to even to the point of adding smell to email. Because you do not have the equipment in front of you now, today, doesnt mean that it doesnt exist out there. What about technology with silent films in their day and time. I'm sure they thought that adding sound and color was impossible. Sure seems like some of the notations here, that most people appear to be short sighted. We only use a small part of our brain..there is endless possibilities and technologies yet to be discovered by man. How can you say you know for sure as you state that backing up memories, feelings, smells, thought, etc.. is IMPOSSIBLE??? Ever heard someone say a car fell on a man, and another, miraculously picked up the car off the injured man..that was physically impossible.. Maybe our creator sent that extra strenghth (electrically) to the man that lifted the car off the injured man.. HMMM... if electrical impulses can be downloaded..(or any other yet discovered memories..etc...then why could it not be possible to upload your personal data to a backup drive?? The Bible says our Creator will give us new bodies when we pass from this life to another place (heaven). So he may give us new bodies after we pass from this life and download our uploaded soul-brain-memories-feelings-smells..etc????????????????
You may be right, at some point in the future we may be able to download brain impulses and store and retrieve memories. How does this support your god theory? If god existed and was all powerfull, it would not make a lick of difference if the mechanics of moving your "soul" and "mind" to another body makes sense in a physical way or not. He would just wish it and it would be done.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #23
BadFish

Quote:
BackupDrive wrote
This is the dumbest thing i've heard so far.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #24
Lucretius

BackupDrive:

Are you some kind of fucking idiot?

Just a question.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #25
HMS Beagle

Dear BadFish and FuriousSpurious and Lucretius,
That's the very core of the problem, isn't it? We (RavingAtheists) are trying to communicate with fools, many of them quite sweet in their innocence and neediness. But as much as I would like to accord them respect, their idiocy is, ultimately, risible. Of course we become patronizing in the face of theists' cowardice. They fear nothingness as if nothingness was new to them (before they were born, all was nothingness). I am half-ashamed to say that it amuses me to idulge theists, perhaps because it is so easy to toy with them. After all, they believe in a Sky God-- how childish is that?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #26
Tenspace
I Live Here

I'm telling you, God is in the photons. :)

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #27
HMS Beagle

Quote:
Tenspace wrote
I'm telling you, God is in the photons. :)

Ten
Tell me more, or tell me you're joking. Because I don't know what that means, and your posts are usually so lucid. (Maybe the photon God is a reference to a posting of yours I haven't read?)
Old 04-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #28
Tenspace
I Live Here

I made an earlier comment that the only entity I know if that fits the god test (omnipresence, omniscience, omni-etc) is electromagnetic radiation. Therefore, if I had to worship a god, it would be the Sun (or maybe a lightbulb at night). :)

Tenspace

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #29
Tenspace
I Live Here

Following up on what backup drive said (I'm not agreeing, just sharing additional info), I've found some real interesting stuff (posted by peer-reviewed scientists) about consciousness and its interconnection with physics and quantum actions. I haven't read enough to be ready to discuss, but it's way, way cool stuff, with the participation of some pretty respectable names.

Tenspace

Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #30
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

There's a good article at New Scientist about new developments in "scanning" for consciousness. I'd link to the article, but the site isn't opening right now. You can find it at newscientist.com.

Rhinoq

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote