Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #61
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

The other day Four Horsemen philosopher Dan Dennett coined a word to describe the profound shallowness (or shallow profundity) of god-babble that says nothing: "deepity"

This was mean and made Andy Sullivan cry:
Quote:
They're really charming, aren't they? It is as if everything arrogant about the academy and everything sneering about cable news culture is combined into one big snarky smugfest.
Today Andy lovingly quotes dead godidiot, Thomas Merton:

Quote:
“Faith means doubt. Faith is not the suppression of doubt. It is the overcoming of doubt, and you overcome doubt by going through it."
Two words: Deepity do'h!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #62
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

Is that right? Then how come I wasn't converted until I was in Graduate School-- surrounded by ... you guessed it, Christians? And no, that wasn't at a religious college.

What utter nonsense. This is the insane refusal to think of an intellectually incurious or lazy man and this place is full of such types. You have a comic book understanding of Christianity and it isn't going to get any better having your prejudices stroked here. Read a history book, why don't you? Or better yet, a history of science. You might have your eyes opened. If you are willing to learn.
Does anyone believe that Lilly got "converted" to being a catlicker in in grad school??? If that's true, it must have been the short bus version of grad school.

Only a comic book understanding of Christianity IS really possible, and the buybull reads like one.

Has Lilly really ever read anything not directly written or endorsed by the Catlick leaders? It would be kind of like getting all your news info from FOX noise...oh wait...
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #63
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Has Lilly really ever read anything not directly written or endorsed by the Catlick leaders? It would be kind of like getting all your news info from FOX noise...oh wait...
Well, anything like that isn't really literature, don't you know?

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #64
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
Actually Cal your last post just made no sense.
(sevens)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #65
Choobus
I Live Here

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #66
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Classic!
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
As we see, educated does not mean sensible nor does it mean "possessed of a sense of humor". It does not point to a knowledge of German-- only Foul and its dialect variant, Low-Class. It refers only to words on a piece of paper. And it doesn't even qualify some of those who have it for real jobs!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #67
nkb

And she follows it up with one in German.
Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Dummschwätzer. Du machst dich schon wieder lächerlich!
For those of you who don't speak German (not literal):
Quote:
Blowhard. You are embarassing yourself again!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #68
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
That's your problem! I still see that a man who claimed to be God, lived among us, preached, was crucified, died and was buried. Then topped it all off by rising from the dead and promising us eternal life. So you have theories, I have reality.
"Reality"! She actually called that "reality"!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #69
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
As far as obsolescence is concerned ! Your ilk have been confidently predicting its demise for 2000 years. I think we are safe now.
Coming from the person who is predicting the end of atheism.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #70
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Holy cr--! .... Honestly, do you pay no attention to what is going on around you? Pick up a damned newspaper and read something more than the sports page!
no commentary needed
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #71
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
It is shocking that someone who makes a silly claim doesn't drop it when given the chance.
I am getting tired. It seems like every other post by Lily these days qualifies to be in here. Either she is the most pathetically oblivious person to ever live, or she's fucking with me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #72
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
This is mindless spewing for the pleasure of hearing your own voice. So to speak.
Yep, it sure is.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #73
nkb

Quote:
thomastwo wrote View Post
No, you don't see at all. I find that it's hard to see beyond what you want to see.
Yet, thomas thinks he sees it clearer than the rest of us.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #74
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Thomas does see more clearly than the rest of you. However, that is not much of an achievement. My cat sees more clearly than you do. So does most of humanity. I do believe the worms in my garden beds have a finer appreciation of reality. Ah well. Evolution does throw up the oddities, doesn't it?
I was going to ask the mods to delete this one, but then I realized that it qualifies for this thread.

Excellent contribution.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #75
nkb

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Poor thing didn't get that quote-mining is stupid, period, and that was the point I was making for anyone intelligent enough to grasp it. What a surprise.
It's only called "quote-mining" when it doesn't agree with Lily's interpretation. She never quote-mines!

George Bernard Shaw