Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
Sternwallow
I Live Here
 
Sternwallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,211
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Maybe Ghoulslime can shed some light on the topic.

Because according to Mormons, there is at least one zombie somewhere on the Earth.
More than just the Mormons believe this. It is an old Christian myth in one of its many incarnations. Check out "wandering Jew" (not the plant).

Also, I highly recommend the SciFi book, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" (1959) by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
inkadu
Obsessed Member
 
inkadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Inklandia
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Also, I highly recommend the SciFi book, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" (1959) by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
Great read. The only thing I couldn't swallow was that the the Catholic Church would somehow remain pure and immune from society's ills.

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Sternwallow
I Live Here
 
Sternwallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,211
Please note the plural in the Matthew quote. More than one person then alive would see the second coming. If Jesus planned to return many centuries later, he was being deliberately misleading (lying). If he really planned to return within the lifetimes of the people there, he blew it. Either way, Jesus was a screw-up (except that he didn't exist so the writer who made him up had a failed plot line).

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
calpurnpiso
I Live Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chandler- Arizona
Posts: 14,227
AHHH...Matthew, that psychedelic mushroom lover who wrote that sci-fi best seller of the 1st Century " the Night of the Living Ancient Dead"...what an amazing author. All he wrote was based on facts.....:lol::lol::lol:......

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Viole
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Maybe Jesus did return, and finding the world not at all improved for his sacrifice, promptly left. Maybe judgement day has already passed, and this is hell. It certainly seems like hell. Perhaps our torment is an eternity of waiting for his return, when he will never come.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #21
bryantee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #22
Sternwallow
I Live Here
 
Sternwallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 23,211
Quote:
Viole wrote
Maybe Jesus did return, and finding the world not at all improved for his sacrifice, promptly left. Maybe judgement day has already passed, and this is hell. It certainly seems like hell. Perhaps our torment is an eternity of waiting for his return, when he will never come.
Viole, that last sentence is downright diabolical! :angel:
It would explain why, Jesus, when he came the second time, didn't leave so much as a departing note to show that he kept his promise.

I do suspect, however, that your scenario is not correct because we still die so the punishment is not eternal.

I do like your notion, though. And, if Jesus has to be such a baby about the whole crucifixion thing that he brought on himself, I can live with the situation without him.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:23 AM   #23
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator
 
Philboid Studge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beastly Muck
Posts: 13,136
Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Maybe Ghoulslime can shed some light on the topic.

Because according to Mormons, there is at least one zombie somewhere on the Earth.
More than just the Mormons believe this. It is an old Christian myth in one of its many incarnations. Check out "wandering Jew" (not the plant).

Also, I highly recommend the SciFi book, "A Canticle for Leibowitz" (1959) by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
It was 'wandering jew' that led me to M@ 16. (Yesterday a Scrabble opponent used the word 'jew' and we looked it up to make sure it wasn't capitalised, which as the plant, ain't; as a verb, 'jew' can go either way)

Apparently the Wandering Jew story surfaced in medieval times, and was later a staple in many Grimms' tales.

Do any vampyr stories cite this line from Scripture? It works as well for blood-suckers as it does for zombies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #24
Wakkun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Why do crazy street people like this disproportionately have such good heads of hair? Does being an alcoholic inhibit hair loss, or is there an inverse link, genetically, between hair-loss and homelessness? There's a Ph.D in this for somebody. (Badly shopped out tooth there, btw, the bastard has decent teeth as well. Where's that meths bottle?)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #25
inkadu
Obsessed Member
 
inkadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Inklandia
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Apparently the Wandering Jew story surfaced in medieval times, and was later a staple in many Grimms' tales.
I think I've read tales where the Jew is either Cain -- who can't die -- or Judas. And then there's something about collecting all the coins that Judas was bribed for giving up Jesus....

The folk myths that grew up around Christianity are so much more interesting than the original stories. Noah, for instance, sent out a raven before he sent out a dove to scout for land. The raven never came back. Good for the raven. (and I guess the raven's mate found him eventually)

If religion were based on facts, it would be called science, and no one would believe it. -- Stephen Colbert
inkadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
bryantee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Wakkun wrote
Why do crazy street people like this disproportionately have such good heads of hair? Does being an alcoholic inhibit hair loss, or is there an inverse link, genetically, between hair-loss and homelessness? There's a Ph.D in this for somebody. (Badly shopped out tooth there, btw, the bastard has decent teeth as well. Where's that meths bottle?)
Actually it's James Brown. Or is it Tom Delay?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The North Coast
Posts: 15,426

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #28
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The North Coast
Posts: 15,426

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #29
thomas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

So what about it, Christ-Garglers? Where are all these frigging zombies?
C'mon Phil, you can do better than this. Just read on the next few verses and see the prophesy fulfilled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army
 
Professor Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,904
Quote:
thomas wrote
Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

So what about it, Christ-Garglers? Where are all these frigging zombies?
C'mon Phil, you can do better than this. Just read on the next few verses and see the prophesy fulfilled.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2000 - , Raving Atheists [dot] com frequency-supranational frequency-supranational