Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #31
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
ubs I believe your first assertion is false, but being false supports the second assertion, which otherwise can't be measured. What do I win?
No man. We lack the neurons to detect water. We can detect bacteria and some impurities, but not the water itself.

We know animals do because they can find water when we can't and because in the lab we can see their brain light up.

However, I was wrong about it being most animals. There are only a few that can.

So we both lost, but if we had won our reward would be the second greatest joy on Yarth - bragging rights!!!!

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #32
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
To humans nothing.
Then I'm confused. Are you saying that, although it smells good, it has absolutely no taste?
Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Did you know that most animals perceive water as having a "taste?"
I did not. However, would water have a smell, instead of a taste, if it's based on some animals being able to find it?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #33
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
No man. We lack the neurons to detect water. We can detect bacteria and some impurities, but not the water itself.
I'm aware of this, but a) taste and smell are not the same thing, and b) We are talking about tap water, are we not? That, being 'impure', has both taste and smell (to the sophisticated palate it does, anyway. )

Quote:
We know animals do because they can find water when we can't and because in the lab we can see their brain light up.
Are they finding water that has no 'impurities'? And as long as you're reviewing b above, see a. (Man.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #34
Lily

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Thanks Lily. That's great info about Den's. I'm going to try ordering something from them. Who knew Torrence was so cutting edge.
Den offers new customers a sampler for $3 that is worth several times as much. You also get enough information on Japan, tea culture and proper brewing of the various varieties of tea that he sells to open your own tea shop! I was just looking at the home page again and it looks like there is a retail store as well as the Internet business, so if they are close enough to you, you could pop in. I would love to do that because they also offer a lot of tea accessories that I would like to find out more about.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #35
Whisper

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Our problem is that the tea thing is only now picking up steam. We have these little shops popping up all over the place, but the supermarkets are behind the curve and the tea in a US supermarket has generally been sitting on the shelf for quite a while, there's isn't much of selection, and all of it is in tea bags.

You guys are number two in the world as far as tea consumption per capita. I'm betting that even your every day stuff is very good. Likewise, even our most remote country stores will have respectable coffee beans, but not tea.
I have to say, I've visited America twice, and niether time did I get a decent brew anywhere. You lot do coffee brilliantly, but tea? Nah, not so much.

Though I think you're right about our tea - I've tried most of the rather wide selection of black tea available, and while there are the few that are bloody awful, generally they're all damned nice and worth trying.

I'll have to look into the good ones for you if you want

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #36
Captain Relativity
Obsessed Member

But... if we're not animals, or vegetables or minerals, whatthefuckAREwe?!

Atheism is a strictly non-prophet organization. - Carlin
And the Catholic Cow sez: "The Inquisition was a legal proceeding.
Victims had rights, trials, etc."
Captain Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #37
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

We're PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-ple!!

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #38
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Then I'm confused. Are you saying that, although it smells good, it has absolutely no taste?
Yes. If held my nose, I would not know this was tea.

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I did not. However, would water have a smell, instead of a taste, if it's based on some animals being able to find it?
Well, they said some animals have olfactory senses for water, which we do not. That could be taste buds or smell, so I'm not sure.

Quote:
I'm aware of this, but a) taste and smell are not the same thing, and b) We are talking about tap water, are we not? That, being 'impure', has both taste and smell (to the sophisticated palate it does, anyway. )
See above (I'm sensing some neuro-envy here. It's like you're bitter about the limitations of our species or something)

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
Den offers new customers a sampler for $3 that is worth several times as much. You also get enough information on Japan, tea culture and proper brewing of the various varieties of tea that he sells to open your own tea shop! I was just looking at the home page again and it looks like there is a retail store as well as the Internet business, so if they are close enough to you, you could pop in. I would love to do that because they also offer a lot of tea accessories that I would like to find out more about.
Thank you for the tip about the sampler Lily. That looks like a good deal. I only venture up to LA a couple of times a year, but when I go next, I will go in the store and take pics (if they let me). What are you in the market for?

Quote:
Whisper wrote View Post
I have to say, I've visited America twice, and niether time did I get a decent brew anywhere. You lot do coffee brilliantly, but tea? Nah, not so much.

Though I think you're right about our tea - I've tried most of the rather wide selection of black tea available, and while there are the few that are bloody awful, generally they're all damned nice and worth trying.

I'll have to look into the good ones for you if you want
Thank you Whisper. Hopefully you will see some improvement in our tea over time. It would be cool to know what brands you usually drink. My guess is it isn't Lipton.

Quote:
Captain Relativity wrote View Post

But... if we're not animals, or vegetables or minerals, whatthefuckAREwe?!
I know. I was referring to the animals that can taste water. I didn't mean that people weren't animals.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #39
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
ubs wrote
Well, they said some animals have olfactory senses for water, which we do not. That could be taste buds or smell, so I'm not sure.
Really? Citations, please! (As I understand it, olfaction enhances taste, but it's not the end-all be-all of taste. That's why a good Savignon Blanc can have a nose of cat piss but taste like the morning dew.)

Quote:
See above (I'm sensing some neuro-envy here. It's like you're bitter about the limitations of our species or something)
Do I taste (or smell) bitter to you? You taste umami to me. (That's a compliment over here on Planet Truffle Oil.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Really? Citations, please! (As I understand it, olfaction enhances taste, but it's not the end-all be-all of taste. That's why a good Savignon Blanc can have a nose of cat piss but taste like the morning dew.)
You are correct. My mistake. I always thought it was both. Finally, a winner.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #41
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
Thanks Lily. That's great info about Den's. I'm going to try ordering something from them. Who knew Torrence was so cutting edge.

Thank you sir. You and Eva and Lily and psychodiva now have me convinced I'm trying the wrong kind, so I will give green a try, and bring down the temp of the water and if that doesn't do it, I will try jasmine.

Our problem is that the tea thing is only now picking up steam. We have these little shops popping up all over the place, but the supermarkets are behind the curve and the tea in a US supermarket has generally been sitting on the shelf for quite a while, there's isn't much of selection, and all of it is in tea bags.

You guys are number two in the world as far as tea consumption per capita. I'm betting that even your every day stuff is very good. Likewise, even our most remote country stores will have respectable coffee beans, but not tea.
UBS, I was thinking about your tea experience this morning while eating Kashmir food and sipping some Indian tea.

Oolong tea is not the right tea to use as a coffee substitute. It is great hot for after a spicy/oily meal. At it's best, it is bitter and watery.

I recommend either some of the hot spiced black / green teas, sweetened initially. Also, try a cold Thai tea (red tea) sweetened and with Boba. My favorite tea is organic jasmine green tea, iced, no sugar.

Here is an excellent source for tea:

http://www.myteastyle.com/

These ladies have some of the best quality tea I have had anywhere in the world.

Tell them I recommended you, and they will probably give you something free.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator

Last edited by ghoulslime; 12-29-2009 at 02:48 AM.
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #42
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I recommend either some of the hot spiced black / green teas, sweetened initially. Also, try a cold Thai tea (red tea) sweetened and with Boba. My favorite tea is organic jasmine green tea, iced, no sugar.

Here is an excellent source for tea:

http://www.myteastyle.com/

These ladies have some of the best quality tea I have had anywhere in the world.

Tell them I recommended you, and they will probably give you something free.
Thank you GS. I will do that. Where the heck do you get Boba? 99 Ranch? We have a 99 Ranch down here.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #43
Lily

Thai tea is amazing. Unfortunately, it is hard to find. I once got a restaurant in Harvard Square to sell me a bag from their distributor but I have never seen it for sale. The Thai restaurants here serve it cold as a dessert drink. I only recently learned that it is supposed to be drunk cold-- I had always had it served as hot tea in the Thai restaurants I haunted in New England. It is highly spiced with stuff like star anise, crushed tamarind seed and I don't know what all else. It also has a kick that will kill. While it doesn't taste strong, it must contain a lot of caffeine. If you can get your hands on it, it is definitely worth trying.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #44
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I regret to confess this, but Starbucks actually has a pretty fair iced green tea. Take it unsweetened. They put some mint in it that makes it almost taste sweet.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #45
ghoulslime
I Live Here

One obvious point about tea has been overlooked so far. The water is the most important ingredient. One cannot expect to heat up a pot of water that reeks of chlorine and is full of grit, and expect to make good tea of it. Use some bottled water, or invest in a filter, if you don't have access to clean, pure water flowing from a spring behind your house.

I have tasted some of the best teas in the world, brewed in vile Shanghai city tap water or the piss that flows from the pipes in some American cities, and they are of course awful. Clean water!