General of the Attacking Army

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
PanAtheist
Obsessed Member

Quote:
R and All wrote View Post
Are any London-area RAers willing to get together and quaff a few on one of those evenings (Sept 6, 7, or 8)?
Hi Randal,
I'm glad you are getting to visit England.
As to me - I am sorry but I am committed to working in the evenings at present, and can't be travelling to London as well.
As to getting about - I hear they have public bicycles in London these days - it's a brand new scheme and you still have to register to use them.
I've always fancied cycling around central London, but only on a very early summer morning, before the normal heavy traffic begins!

Healthy genes act as team-players. They are teamish!
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
Only a fraction of genes are selfish/parasitic (and they
parasitize teams).
PanAtheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
dogpet
Obsessed Member

The river bus stops at Putney Pier.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
R and All
Soon to be just another skull

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Hey, R
Been a long time, hope all is wellish.
Hey Sternie, it HAS been a long time. Everything is great with me and mine, and it will be even better if I get to take a few days off in jolly old England. How are things in Sternacuse?

Reality is not a belief. We do not take it on faith, it confirms itself whenever we see physics, chemistry, biology etc. working as predicted by their various empirically obtained rules. - Sternwallow
R and All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
R and All

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
Do you mean Putney Bridge? If so Hampton Court & Kew are a short bus ride away, or a 5 mile stroll. If the strike goes ahead there will be chaos & will limit you badly as you are out of town a bit, but it's only one day. Do you know where you want to go?
Oops, I think you are right, Putney Bridge.

Not too much, really. I lived in Buckinghamshire for a few years as a teen, so I would like to stop by and check out the old neighborhood. My wife has a store or two picked out for shopping. Other than that, I just want to drink, eat, drink some more, and be merry.

Reality is not a belief. We do not take it on faith, it confirms itself whenever we see physics, chemistry, biology etc. working as predicted by their various empirically obtained rules. - Sternwallow
Old 08-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
R and All

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
Sorry - away in Malta on 6th any other week would be good though

no idea about taxis
Sorry to miss you.

But enjoy Malta!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
R and All

Quote:
PanAtheist wrote View Post
Hi Randal,
I'm glad you are getting to visit England.
As to me - I am sorry but I am committed to working in the evenings at present, and can't be travelling to London as well.
As to getting about - I hear they have public bicycles in London these days - it's a brand new scheme and you still have to register to use them.
I've always fancied cycling around central London, but only on a very early summer morning, before the normal heavy traffic begins!
Sorry I won't get to meet you. As for cycling, probably not for us. We are going to have enough trouble crossing the street without getting run down, since we will be looking the wrong direction for traffic.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:

Not too much, really. I lived in Buckinghamshire for a few years as a teen, so I would like to stop by and check out the old neighborhood.
I'm in Chilterns, where were you?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
R and All

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
The river bus stops at Putney Pier.
Good information, thanks. I wasn't aware of that particular transportation option.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
R and All

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
I'm in Chilterns, where were you?
My family lived in Gerrards Cross from about 1979-1981. I went to high school on the US Air Force Base in High Wycombe. They've torn the school down now.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #26
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
My family lived in Gerrards Cross from about 1979-1981. I went to high school on the US Air Force Base in High Wycombe. They've torn the school down now.
About 5 miles away. Gerrards Cross eh, are you a yid? Been in that base, basement level 6 or something.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #27
R and All

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
About 5 miles away. Gerrards Cross eh, are you a yid? Been in that base, basement level 6 or something.
Not familiar with the term, but wikipedia tells me that the word Yid is a slang Jewish ethnonym, not usually considered offensive when pronounced the way Yiddish-speakers say it, but generally perceived as a pejorative—and used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites, although many Jewish people use the term amongst themselves and a Jewish dating website of the same name exists.

So, the answer is no I am not Jewish, but perhaps I should also point out that I am not anti-Jew.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #28
R and All

Trying to prep my palate for the trip, so I looked for beer imported from England the last time I went to the grocery store. Settled on some Old Speckled Hen, which bills itself as English Fine Ale. I must say that I am finding it rather tasty. Is it well-regarded over there?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #29
Coatsy

Quote:
Not familiar with the term, but wikipedia tells me that the word Yid is a slang Jewish ethnonym, not usually considered offensive when pronounced the way Yiddish-speakers say it, but generally perceived as a pejorative—and used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites, although many Jewish people use the term amongst themselves and a Jewish dating website of the same name exists.

So, the answer is no I am not Jewish, but perhaps I should also point out that I am not anti-Jew.
I'm reliably informed that Tottenham Hotspur fans like to call themselves and chant, 'Yid Army!' during games. I'm sure he meant it in the spirit of all friendly casual racism: usually harmless, but entirely unnecessary.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #30
Coatsy

Quote:
Trying to prep my palate for the trip, so I looked for beer imported from England the last time I went to the grocery store. Settled on some Old Speckled Hen, which bills itself as English Fine Ale. I must say that I am finding it rather tasty. Is it well-regarded over there?
It's fairly well-regarded amongst the room temperature brigade. I, of course, speak as an experienced drinker of only about a month and half But I'm sure you'd find better on tap in most pubs. Just ask for the most local beer they have.

EDIT: If your grocery store has some, I'd recommend Old Peculier [sic] or Hobgoblin too.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote