Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #46
Broga
Obsessed Member

The philosophy of the ancient Stoics was a source of mental and emotional succour for centuries e.g. "On the Good Life" - Cicero; "Letters from a Stoic" - Seneca; The Encheiridion" - Epictetus. "Meditations" - Marcus Aurelius. From a later age I have always enjoyed Michel de Montaigne. I was immediately attracted to him by his comment, "After all, it is to put a very high value on your surmises to roast a man alive for him." At the time he wrote being roasted alive for "your surmises" was possible.
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #47
P.G.
New Member!

I agree Eternal----it would be idiocy to fall for the same scam twice.
P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Sol

@Eternal, whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the above post I would like to point out that it should be....... whisky...

I point this out, only because, if Smelly sees it, his gonads will be up somewhere around his diaphragm and he hates a sloppy knacker sack...

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #49
divine zombie

Quote:
P.G. wrote View Post
Another thing to consider on this thread is the concept of "hope". Sam Harris pointed out somewhere that for secularism to successful it has to find a way of replacing the comfort and hope that people get from religion. I would venture a guess that everyone here, myself included, finds a need for "hope of a good future" unnecessary. As atheists, we have our world view, whatever that may be, the minute details unique to each of us. One of the things that religion does is to provide this (irrationally) to many people. Would it be possible for an atheist, who is down on his/her luck to suspend reason in search for some solace or hope? For me, the answer is "no"----for others, the religious propaganda may be powerful enough to have influence.
Why would anybody need to suspend reason in order to hope for a good future?

And are you sure that Harris said 'secularism'?

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
divine zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #50
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Thank you for the heads up Sol, unfortunately I didn't see this in time to edit it, so I will await the gonad inhalation.

I have been on the short end of our fine guardians intolerance to abuse of the english language before, for using one of these incorrectly, there, they're and their.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #51
P.G.
New Member!

Divine Zombie---I have no clue...I am a happy and hopeful atheist. But, I think for a person to go from Atheism to Christianity has to include some suspension of reason. How else could they get there?

As far as Harris goes...I was paraphrasing. I don't remember the exact wording.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
divine zombie

Quote:
P.G. wrote View Post
Divine Zombie---I have no clue...I am a happy and hopeful atheist. But, I think for a person to go from Atheism to Christianity has to include some suspension of reason. How else could they get there?

As far as Harris goes...I was paraphrasing. I don't remember the exact wording.
Thanks for replying, but I didn't mention xtianity.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #53
P.G.
New Member!

Divine Zombie--the thread started out talking about that type of conversion.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
P.G. wrote View Post
It looks like this sentence is in question though: "Would it be possible for an atheist, who is down on his/her luck to suspend reason in search for some solace or hope?"

It seems like you're implying that either solace or hope is religious in nature or as it reads on it's own that one must drop reason in order to seek solace or hope.

I think people can find solace and hope without suspending reason, and it seems that Divine Zombie thinks so as well. I'm pretty sure you think so as well, but the sentence was a little confusing for me to read at first.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #55
P.G.
New Member!

I agree with you 100% Davin. What I was saying is that some people turn to religion for those reasons. It is surely not the only source of solace or hope, as it is not a source for anyone reading this.

You are right about me, I find solace and hope daily without religion.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #56
divine zombie

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
It looks like this sentence is in question though: "Would it be possible for an atheist, who is down on his/her luck to suspend reason in search for some solace or hope?"

It seems like you're implying that either solace or hope is religious in nature or as it reads on it's own that one must drop reason in order to seek solace or hope.

I think people can find solace and hope without suspending reason, and it seems that Divine Zombie thinks so as well. I'm pretty sure you think so as well, but the sentence was a little confusing for me to read at first.
Aye that's it, an easy mistake to make.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #57
divine zombie

Quote:
P.G. wrote View Post
Apologies, I misinterpreted your post.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #58
P.G.
New Member!

No prob---looks like I should have been more clear in my original post!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #59
Davin
Obsessed Member

This cannot be, all disagreements and/or misunderstandings must elevate to name calling and smug arrogant attitudes... I think that is one of the forum rules.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #60
divine zombie

Fuck off you bastard.