Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #661
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
This is no surprise. What is a puzzle is why so many rock stars & east coast merkins petition for a united Ireland, when what that means is a government which abdicates all responsibility for education, child welfare, & womens health, in deference to the poop in rome. The Scots Irish are our first line of defence & deserve better press.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #662
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

We could always try for a United Great Britain - the bogtrotters would be West Cheshire and at least the catlickers stand a chance of becoming semi-civilised.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #663
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Hatter23 wrote View Post
While thought provoking, I humbly disagree. Within the paradigm that is modern Wicca, the male is devalued.* If we were to use the same argument as she did in the article, we could say bog standard Abrahamic monotheism is debasing against males.

Ultimately all religions are degrading to humanity, regardless of gender as they both devalue and bebase the intellect and reason and place invisible intangible, unmesarable forces above humanity that must be pacified and can be supplicated to.

*Historically however if we look into Alister Crowley, Gerald Gardner, and Eliphas Levi...essentially the originators of Wiccan thought...you will find horney males who were telling women what they wanted to hear for pussy and money.

I agree that all religions devalue humanity but the rest of what you say about Wicca is akin to saying that Christianity is really all about love and Islam is the religion of peace- that is what their tenets say and what some of the followers would like you to believe but not the reality of the religion.

Wicca is like all religions,(including Buddhism) used by humans- largely men - to control people- largely women- the new age crap that some people would like you to believe is just icing on the cake to what is essentially a misogynistic practice

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #664
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
dogpet wrote View Post
This is no surprise. What is a puzzle is why so many rock stars & east coast merkins petition for a united Ireland, when what that means is a government which abdicates all responsibility for education, child welfare, & womens health, in deference to the poop in rome. The Scots Irish are our first line of defence & deserve better press.
and that is one of the many reasons why the Northern Irish have always fought against being overrun by the catholic government of the south - exactly

Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #665
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

bandwagons and a lot of jumping through the eyes of an ignorant argument

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #666
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
bandwagons and a lot of jumping through the eyes of an ignorant argument
Gee, who could argue with such a fact filled rebuttal.....
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #667
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Gee, who could argue with such a fact filled rebuttal.....
What facts would you like, gee wizz ? Why not have a vote for the people in Northern Ireland and see what nationality they would be happy to have? Oh I know.....because they probably wouldn't vote the way that the idealistic, and ignorant Yankie doodles, would believe they should. If they all want to go cap in hand to the Pope, then fair enough. They areBritish which means they are members of a union that is not allowed to be influenced by magical kiddy fiddling sky daddies. Only kiddy fiddling tv presenters!

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #668
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
Why not have a vote for the people in Northern Ireland and see what nationality they would be happy to have? Oh I know.....because they probably wouldn't vote the way that the idealistic, and ignorant Yankie doodles, would believe they should.
Demographics may eventually prove you right, but the civil war was fought to prevent secession by a different immoral faction. Why wouldn't a nation try to protect it's loyal citizens? Don't forget, religious temper is only ever as moderate as its environs allow.

No Popery Here.

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #669
Noodle

Yikes. Pregnant women are not safe in Ireland. The whole "you and the baby should both die" mentality is really baffling. Could it be an extension of the idea that the purpose of women is to bear children? If they fail at it they are no longer useful and can kindly fuck off and die.
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #670
Hatter23

Quote:
I agree that all religions devalue humanity but the rest of what you say about Wicca is akin to saying that Christianity is really all about love and Islam is the religion of peace- that is what their tenets say and what some of the followers would like you to believe but not the reality of the religion.

Wicca is like all religions,(including Buddhism) used by humans- largely men - to control people- largely women- the new age crap that some people would like you to believe is just icing on the cake to what is essentially a misogynistic practice
Not what I've seen with my two eyes, where most adult males into it were quite submissive to the women...the teenage ones...not so much.
Hatter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #671
psychodiva
I Live Here

And anecdotal evidence is just that- an anecdote- I also know a few kind and thoughtful christians and a few feminist male wiccans and some lovely Islamists, also some of the Buddhists in the temple up the road are quite nice- they chant well and are very welcoming

This is NOT my argument if you will note what I said in my previous post- the religion is in and of itself misogynistic in its tenets, orders, its basic beliefs about males and females- the only good and non-misogynistic religion is no religion - neither male nor female should be submissive to the other - wicca places both genders into boxes as do all religions

Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #672
psychodiva
I Live Here

and if this carries on it needs to be moved to a thread about woowy wicca and the spiritual crap it peddles

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #673
Hatter23

Quote:
And anecdotal evidence is just that- an anecdote- I also know a few kind and thoughtful christians and a few feminist male wiccans and some lovely Islamists, also some of the Buddhists in the temple up the road are quite nice- they chant well and are very welcoming

This is NOT my argument if you will note what I said in my previous post- the religion is in and of itself misogynistic in its tenets, orders, its basic beliefs about males and females- the only good and non-misogynistic religion is no religion - neither male nor female should be submissive to the other - wicca places both genders into boxes as do all religions
If I cannot use anecdotal evidence, and I cannot use the tenets of the religion, what possible item am I permitted to substantiate my case? Sorry to be argumentative about this, but you line of reasoning still could be used to say the Christianity is prejudiced against males. So you cannot use that, and you cannot use the tenets of the religion, and you cannot use anecdotal evidence.

So therefore you need to agree that Christianity is therefore celebratory of women and biased against men...unless you can show otherwise without resorting to anything like I used.

Or we can just agree to disagree.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #674
Hatter23

Quote:
and if this carries on it needs to be moved to a thread about woowy wicca and the spiritual crap it peddles
Is there a general mocking of woo thread?, because woo-wee there's plenty to mock. Especially since so much of it gets on, facepalm, the Learning Channel. For every "Bullshit!" or "MythBusters" there seems to be a dozen of "Ghost Hunters International" and "Secrets of Ancient Astronauts Revealed"
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #675
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Hatter23 wrote View Post
If I cannot use anecdotal evidence, and I cannot use the tenets of the religion, what possible item am I permitted to substantiate my case? Sorry to be argumentative about this, but you line of reasoning still could be used to say the Christianity is prejudiced against males. So you cannot use that, and you cannot use the tenets of the religion, and you cannot use anecdotal evidence.

So therefore you need to agree that Christianity is therefore celebratory of women and biased against men...unless you can show otherwise without resorting to anything like I used.

Or we can just agree to disagree.
agree to disagree as i am tired and cannot be bothered to do your research for you there is enough of it on this forum alone if you look- some of it even posted by me a few years back