Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Yes, because that analogy is totally relevant. Because belgian waffles are comparable to science in that they are fields of study, academic tracts, etc.

"Beligian waffle" is also a way to look at the world, like science. And like philosophy. So that analogy is fucking perfect.
Wait, is philosophy comparable to science, or an antonym of science?

My "belgian waffle" comment was an attempt to show you how idiotic it is to define something by what it is not. Defining philosophy as "not a science" is as insightful as defining Professor Chaos as "Not a grape smoothie".

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Fuck you, you self-important cocksucker.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
Rhinoqulous

Somebody's grumpy today.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
Professor Chaos

Somebody's being a fucking asshole today. Seriously, you're a dick. You started, in post #9, by being a dick. You continued being a dick, increasing your dickitude.

Suck my balls. Lick them, suck them, and chew on their hair, you fucking twat. It's possible to have a conversation with someone that disagrees with you without being a fucking tool.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Did you have breakfast, Prof?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #21
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Somebody's being a fucking asshole today. Seriously, you're a dick. You started, in post #9, by being a dick. You continued being a dick, increasing your dickitude.
Seriously, clean the sand out of your vagina. It's making you grumpy.

Quote:
Suck my balls. Lick them, suck them, and chew on their hair, you fucking twat. It's possible to have a conversation with someone that disagrees with you without being a fucking tool.
I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, as long as it's not presented as a pithy response that's more bumper sticker slogan than rational thought. Or were you hinting at something insightful by pointing out that indeed, philosophy is not a science?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
Professor Chaos

One more attempt at civil conversation.

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Wait, is philosophy comparable to science, or an antonym of science?

My "belgian waffle" comment was an attempt to show you how idiotic it is to define something by what it is not. Defining philosophy as "not a science" is as insightful as defining Professor Chaos as "Not a grape smoothie".
What's the opposite of up? Down.

Up & Down = Directions (comparable. Same category.)

I was defining Philosophy as "not science" in that philosophy's concerns and science's concerns are antithetical. In a nutshell, science requires empiricism, philosophy does not.

If you think I'm wrong, if you disagree, how about let's have a conversation about it that doesn't involve "Did you pull that out of your ass" or "Did you wake up on the stupid side of the bed?"

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Seriously, clean the sand out of your vagina. It's making you grumpy.
1998 called. It wants its "sand in the vagina" joke back.

(Got to go now. 1996 is on the other line wanting its "1998 called" joke back.)

Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
Professor Chaos

Quote:
\

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, as long as it's not presented as a pithy response that's more bumper sticker slogan than rational thought. Or were you hinting at something insightful by pointing out that indeed, philosophy is not a science?
Try, "Prof, can you clarify?", "Prof, what are you talking about?", etc, etc. No need to be such a raging sphincter.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #25
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
One more attempt at civil conversation.
Cut the bullshit. Call me a cockwrangling douchewizard and quit being a pansy.

Quote:
What's the opposite of up? Down.

Up & Down = Directions (comparable. Same category.)

I was defining Philosophy as "not science" in that philosophy's concerns and science's concerns are antithetical. In a nutshell, science requires empiricism, philosophy does not.
Philosophy and science are doing the same thing: studying the nature of reality (remember, science began as a sub-set of philosophy, and "empiricism" is a philosophical term). The methods used may differ, just like the methods of handling a ball in football and soccer differ, but the goal is still the same. Pretty much all (respectable) philosophy of science is based 100% in scientific findings. Philosophy of Physics is concerned with studying methods used in physics research, the nature of causality, the nature of time, the nature of quantum events (Many Worlds vs. Copenhagen is pretty much straight up philosophy), etc., all based in science, and all theories confirming with scientific findings.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #26
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
1998 called. It wants its "sand in the vagina" joke back.

(Got to go now. 1996 is on the other line wanting its "1998 called" joke back.)

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #27
Professor Chaos

Quote:
Philosophy and science are doing the same thing: studying the nature of reality (remember, science began as a sub-set of philosophy, and "empiricism" is a philosophical term). The methods used may differ, just like the methods of handling a ball in football and soccer differ, but the goal is still the same. Pretty much all (respectable) philosophy of science is based 100% in scientific findings. Philosophy of Physics is concerned with studying methods used in physics research, the nature of causality, the nature of time, the nature of quantum events (Many Worlds vs. Copenhagen is pretty much straight up philosophy), etc., all based in science, and all theories confirming with scientific findings.
Nice post, you cockwrangling douchewizard, and one that would likely avoided this nonsense when I asked the original question. Pretentious ass-rimming arrogant cockmunching fucktard.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #28
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Now you're just being redundant.
Have some juice.

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
The methods used may differ, just like the methods of handling a ball in football and soccer differ, but the goal is still the same.
Oh no, my friend, the goals are distinctly different. Soccer has a rectangle on the ground with a net attached (with a goalie in front of it), while football has an elevated goal, with no net (unless you count the net that keeps the ball from going into the stands).

Unless, of course, you're comparing the English "football" with soccer, in which case the goals are the same, but then the methods don't differ.

<ducks>

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #30
Rhinoqulous

Quote:
Nice post, you cockwrangling douchewizard, and one that would likely avoided this nonsense when I asked the original question. Pretentious ass-rimming arrogant cockmunching fucktard.
No problem, and in the future I'll keep in mind you have the delicate sensibilities of a little girl and get all weepy when called an ar-tard.