Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #46
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #47
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Hmmmm....An epiphany!

May the Holy Phalli-Spirit filled by his white halo descend upon the faithful in the sacred Nutty-Land cities of Vatican, Jerusalem, Mecca carrying cleansing and purifying nuclear offerings.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #48
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Hmmmm....An epiphany!

May the Holy Phalli-Spirit filled by his white halo descend upon the faithful in the sacred Nutty-Land cities of Vatican, Jerusalem, Mecca carrying cleansing and purifying nuclear offerings.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
I'm not sure I'm following you.
It is pretty easy. When you cross a time zone heading West, breakfast arrives an hour later than your body expects (and the same for other regular daily habits including sleep). Two zones makes breakfast two hours late. So, after crossing 24 time zones, Breakfast will be the right time of day again and it will again match your bodies expectation. You break even, though you have lost one day.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #50
skribb

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
It is pretty easy. When you cross a time zone heading West, breakfast arrives an hour later than your body expects (and the same for other regular daily habits including sleep). Two zones makes breakfast two hours late. So, after crossing 24 time zones, Breakfast will be the right time of day again and it will again match your bodies expectation. You break even, though you have lost one day.
Ah, yes. It seemed at first as though this depended on what horograph you utilised, from the way you said it. That, or I'm stupid (like I am sometimes )
Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #51
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
Ah, yes. It seemed at first as though this depended on what horograph you utilised, from the way you said it. That, or I'm stupid (like I am sometimes )
We cool?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #52
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Dude! I wasn't trying to beat you up. I was only pointing out a weak point in the argument. If you pound your fist on the table and make a claim, you'd better have a solid claim. The claim of the page to which you directed us stated that cellphones interfering with medical equiptment is a myth. That's a claim. I point out that any electronic device which broadcasts has the potential to interfere with other electronic devices.

Sensitive electronic devices would not have RF/microwave shields on them if interference were not a concern by the makers of these devices. Sensitive medical devices DO have RF shields on them to protect against interference. Will calling your aunt Polly while standing in the wiating room shut down the EKG machine in the emergency room? It's highly unlikely. Will heavy microwave or X-ray transmissions disrupt the functionality of sensitive medical devices? You can bet your pacemaker they will!

And this relates to the claim that cellphones have been shown empirically to not interfere with medical equipment how?
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #53
Gnosital
still unsmited

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Excellent!

You are presenting argument which should be based on empirical support. (Remember, I have not...yet.)

Please present to me the findings of this argument which state that RF/Microwave transmissions do not cause interference in medical devices.

Would you like to be more specific in your argument? Would you like to include or disclude any equipment before I commence clobbering your argument?

Or would you like to disengage?

Again, I’m not trying to beat you up or discredit you in any way, Gnosital. If I come across as a mean asshole in my writing it is only because I am a mean asshole.
Uhhh... there was this article, see? And in the article, the claim was made that cellophones don't interfere with medical equipment like somebody thought they did. The citations aren't provided. Admittedly, that is weak, but I'm not in the mood for a lit search. PlLus I read the report a while ago, so I know it's out there somewhere.

Just curious, did you forget that you had already responded to my post then re-read it and got pissed thinking I was arguing with you or something? I hope you got some sleep after you had that big hamburger. I think the jet lag was trippin you out dude.
Gnosital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #54
skribb

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
We cool?
What? Of course!

Why would we NOT be?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #55
PhilOchsLives

I thought that #1 and #3 were true. During the summer, I drink way the hell more than eight glasses of water per day. Schlepping heavy bags of mail around the streets when it's 93 degree and 95% humidity will require that. And I sweat it all out.

Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process imbedded in the human spirit--Abbie Hoffman.
PhilOchsLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #56
nkb
He who walks among the theists

On point 1, the myth is that you need to drink 8 glasses of water every day, no matter what you are doing.

It is obviously not a myth that you need to replenish water in your body after (and during) strenuous exercise.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #57
skribb

Study finds cell phone risks in hospitals

Scientists who examined the effect the phones had on equipment in simulated real-life situations found that most of the trouble occurred when the phone was no more than 3 feet away, The Daily Mail reported. But in one case, telephone signals turned off a ventilator 9 feet away, and a phone interfered with electrocardiogram equipment 5 feet away.

The researchers found that 26 of 61 types of medical equipment tested had problems with interference from cell phone signals. In 48 instances of interference, one-third were described as dangerous.

The research was published in Critical Care, an online medical journal.

Dr. Erik van Lieshout of the University of Amsterdam said hospitals must set up zones where patients and staff can use phones safely and ban them from other areas.

"Our work has real implications for present restrictions of mobile phone use in patient areas," he said.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.newsdaily.com/Science/UPI...-cellrisks.xml
Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #58
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
Study finds cell phone risks in hospitals

Scientists who examined the effect the phones had on equipment in simulated real-life situations found that most of the trouble occurred when the phone was no more than 3 feet away, The Daily Mail reported. But in one case, telephone signals turned off a ventilator 9 feet away, and a phone interfered with electrocardiogram equipment 5 feet away.

The researchers found that 26 of 61 types of medical equipment tested had problems with interference from cell phone signals. In 48 instances of interference, one-third were described as dangerous.

The research was published in Critical Care, an online medical journal.

Dr. Erik van Lieshout of the University of Amsterdam said hospitals must set up zones where patients and staff can use phones safely and ban them from other areas.

"Our work has real implications for present restrictions of mobile phone use in patient areas," he said.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.newsdaily.com/Science/UPI...-cellrisks.xml
We are living in a sea of EMF today. This article also has implications for improved shielding in sensitive medical instruments.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #59
skribb

Care to rephrase that? My non-native Englishness is rearing its ugly head
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #60
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
Care to rephrase that? My non-native Englishness is rearing its ugly head
If you are referring to me, EMF stands for Electro-Motive Force (also sometimes EMI for Electro-Magnetic Interference) and is the general fields of electronic interference from everything from toasters, hard drive motors, electric toothbrushes, fluorescent lighting, microwave ovens, PDAs, laptops, radios, hearing aids, pacemakers, power tools, cordless phones, wireless networks, in short, every bit of electric/electronic equipment we use.

Ever wonder why they won't let you run an arc welder on a plane while it is in flight? Yep, dangerous electrical interference. Incidentally, you can also burn a hole in the fuselage, but I'm sure it is the interference they are most worried about.