Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Can we get the quote feature to work?

Why is it that I cannot get more than one quote to populate if responding to a response?

ghoul said: blah blah blah 1
yashole said: I'm a dolt
ghoul said: blah blah blah 2

I want to respond so it makes sense and incorporates all of the three posts and my own. However if I hit the quote button it will only grab

Even if I hit the quote + button and then the quote button it will only grab:

ghouls said: blah blah blah 2

(It worked once appropriately - but I think that was a fluke)

To pray is to verbalize that which some may have difficulty saying aloud in everyday life, in an effort to gain support or smarts from an outside source. I have no need for prayer. I am able to rationalize within my mind, and have no problem speaking it.
ProveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

I don't know, I can't figure it out either. I just copy paste, insert my own tags, and do it the hard way. It sucks, to be sure.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Chris
Please vote!

It seems it's not working how it used to but it is working right.

What I do is hit the Quote+ for every post I want to quote and then use the Post Reply button. Does it work right for you if you do it that way?

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Lily

I haven't noticed that the quote function has changed but it has never worked reliably, so far as I can tell. I mean that occasionally there will be a number of posts that I want to quote bits from but there is no quote+ available. Just the one option "quote". So cut-n-paste is definitely necessary. What I don't know is if this is normal under some circumstance that I haven't figured out or if it is a glitch.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
ProveIt wrote View Post
Why is it that I cannot get more than one quote to populate if responding to a response?
It doesn't nest quotes like it once did, though you can force it with your own tagging as PC stated.

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
What I don't know is if this is normal under some circumstance that I haven't figured out or if it is a glitch.
The quote+ buttons don't appear unless you are logged in.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Lily

But I am logged in. That is what is so weird. I find myself having to cut and paste half the time. Surely that is a problem and not a "feature".
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
ubs
I Live Here

That is strange. It's not the stealth mode. I just tried it.

What browser are you using?

**And IE works.

That's weird, Lily. I don't know.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Lily

Ie 7
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
It doesn't nest quotes like it once did, though you can force it with your own tagging as PC stated.

This was generated by quoting the above post #5 by pushing -quote- It eliminated the quotes that U-BS had within the post. Therefore, unless I go search for the quotes U-BS quoted in his post I have to copy paste and enter the tags myself.

Test 1

To pray is to verbalize that which some may have difficulty saying aloud in everyday life, in an effort to gain support or smarts from an outside source. I have no need for prayer. I am able to rationalize within my mind, and have no problem speaking it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

This is hitting the quote+ button and then the quote button (which I thought meant that it was including the quotes included in the post I was quoting. If I'm understanding Chris' directions above I am misinterpretting the button quote+.

Test 2

Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

Quote:
ProveIt wrote View Post

I want to respond so it makes sense and incorporates all of the three posts and my own. However if I hit the quote button it will only grab

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
I haven't noticed that the quote function has changed but it has never worked reliably, so far as I can tell. I mean that occasionally there will be a number of posts that I want to quote bits from but there is no quote+ available. Just the one option "quote". So cut-n-paste is definitely necessary. What I don't know is if this is normal under some circumstance that I haven't figured out or if it is a glitch.

By selecting the quote+ button on all three of the original posts it does indeed grab the full posts for each.

Test 3

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

What I'm actually looking to accomplish would be more to follow the dialog (old forum way). Where quotes were within quotes. I try to do it manually but it's time consuming and doesn't always take the first time.

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

Quote:
ProveIt wrote View Post

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

I think I may have been trying to over complicate it. Simple answer to manually doing it is to move all of your tags /quote to the end of the sections you are quoting. Leave everything else where it is.

To get it to appear like this you have to find all quotes quoted, select the quote+ button, and then hit quote. From there you still have to move all of the /quotes to the end of the post.

Test 4

Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

The more common, lazy way, to post the above would be to simply copy what the most recent poster posted and paste it in to a new post. This is when I run into issues with tags.

Quote:
ProveIt wrote

Quote:
Lily wrote
What I don't know is if this is normal under some circumstance that I haven't figured out or if it is a glitch.

----------------------

That is how it appears (which doesn't make any sense.... and it's not how I want it to appear). So I spend the next five minutes f'n with the tags.
Quote:
UBS wrote
Quote:
ProveIt wrote

Quote:
Lily wrote

OH! And if you are posting more than 4 quotes (in the manner at the top of this post) you will have to copy the text out of the text box and paste into your message. It will only allow so many "images" (I think that's what it referred to them as the other day when it denied me).

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Chris
Please vote!

Ok, maybe it's too early in the morning but I'm confused.

A while back when I updated, I could have swore I saw some options for quotes. I will go dig around.

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people." ~ Heinrich Heine
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
ProveIt
Obsessed Member

Thank you Chris ~