Old 05-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #31
Raiden936

1) Nothing can exist without purpose. Anything that exists must have to exist, or it wouldnt.

1. relative to whom or what? lets take a rock for example. to us, a rock could be a weapon or building material but to a tree, it serves no useful purpose.

2. purpose in life is like biggest self egoistic idea
Old 05-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #32
Another brick in the wall

Here's my argument against the existence of a creator god(s)

According to the first law of thermodynamics, neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed.
Technically, matter can be converted into energy in nuclear reactions, but since matter and energy are the same thing, the total amount of matter/energy in the universe remains constant.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #33
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Since I tend to post inane bullshit that bogs down the thread, I thought I'd post some inane bullshit to lighten up the thread. :)

1- The creation of the universe is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
2- The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3- The greater the disability or handicap of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
4- The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
5- Therefore, if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator, we can conceive a greater being — namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6- An existing God, therefore, would not be a being than which a greater cannot be conceived, because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.
7- (Hence) God does not exist.

Not mine, told to me years ago by my religion professor.

Rhinoq

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #34

That prime, 100%, grade A bullshit. Have considered a career in politics or as an art critic?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #35

Cut poor thermodynamics some slack. It's three hundred years old, you know.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #36
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
St. Teabag wrote
Thermodynamics has not yet caught up with quantum physics. In fact mass/energy can be borrowed from the vacuum for very brief periods of time, in direct contradiction to thermodynamics.
What's the contradiction?

Ten

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #37
DoktoR woo
New Member!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Raiden936 wrote View Post
1) Nothing can exist without purpose. Anything that exists must have to exist, or it wouldnt.

1. relative to whom or what? lets take a rock for example. to us, a rock could be a weapon or building material but to a tree, it serves no useful purpose.

2. purpose in life is like biggest self egoistic idea
Our existential purpose (or non purpose) does not require a perfect, all knowing, all loving, ever present, all powerful god as decreed by Christianity.
Such a cosmic state cannot be imagined, let alone verified.
As for a cosmic evolution, an ineffable ever changing force directed towards eternal development, well that does seem possible.
DoktoR woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:25 AM   #39
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
baric wrote View Post
That gets you nowhere. All you have done is postulated a hypothetical solution (an uncaused object) and called it 'God'.

You have not ruled out the possibility that an infinite regression is invalid or simply that reality itself is the uncaused event.

I think you leap to a conclusion. The irony is that your "uncaused event" God really tells you nothing, theologically. Absolutely nothing.

Does this 'God' still exist? Dunno.
Is it sentient? Dunno.
Did it intend to cause the universe as we see it? Dunno.
Does it know about us? Dunno.
Did it intent to create us? Dunno.

What typically happens is that someone postulates God as the "uncaused event" and then immediately uses it as evidence of the Christ's resurrection.
Why is it that the same tired old bullshit arguments are presented over and over and over again?
First, a Universal LAW is announced - EVERYTHING requires a cause.
Then God is claimed as the cause of everything.
Then, an EXEMPTION to the "Universal Law" is claimed for God - he doesn't need a cause.
Which, of course, is the old familiar fallacious dodge of SPECIAL PLEADING.
First the bullshit artists give us a UNIVERSAL LAW, and then they come up with an EXEMPTION to their UNIVERSAL LAW in order to plug the huge gaping hole in their "LOGIC".

Fuck off with this horseshit. Teach it to the drooling mouthbreathers in Sunday School and the Republican party.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #40
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
Hahaha! But can you blame anyone, like Sinfidel said, they keep coming back with the same old arguments over and over... it's tough to tell which is a new thread and which is an old one.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #41
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Christ Jesus rose from the dead after three days - this thread after ten years! Surely there is divinity at work!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #42
Michael
Obsessed Member

And to be fair this forum isn't hugely lively anymore. Aside from the dates, it's probably hard for a new person to tell what is and isn't a current thread.

But then again...10 years? That's pushing it. He would have had to go to the last page of the thread list and pick one from there. That almost seems purposeful.

Unless he just did a search for a keyword and that thread came up? I don't know. I'm clearly overthinking this.

Michael...you are correct
- selliedjoup
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #43
Prycejosh

Quote:
MarcusMaximus wrote View Post
Alright, here's something I thought of in my free time. It kinda worries me since I'm not an athiest (I believe there is a god, I'm just not christian.) Anyway here it goes:
2) An absolute God exists (that's right guys, a proof by contradiction)
3) There can be no higher order than an absolute god by definition of absolute.
4) there must be a reason for the absolute God to exist by #1.
5) there must be a higher order than the absolute God due to the existance of a reason for its existence.
6) contradiction between 5 and 3.
7) An absolute God doesn't exist by contradiction.

I'm kinda actually hoping for a concrete refutation of this proof. The idea of an impossibility of an absolute god slightly disturbs me. By the way, please don't post replies saying "Oh well you cant understand god or explain him with logic." (this argument is A: a cop out and B: doesn't apply to this situation since I'm not talking about something that god does but rather the reason for its existence in the first place.) or quotes from the bible unless they provide a logical reason against this. ex: "You shall not worship any gods before me." (this doesn't really provide any evidence)
dont you know about a thing they call testimonies.
Prycejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #44
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Prycejosh wrote View Post
dont you know about a thing they call testimonies.
Don't you?

Google search - "testimonials unreliable"

About 408,000 results (0.34 seconds

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #45
Prycejosh

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Don't you?

Google search - "testimonials unreliable"

About 408,000 results (0.34 seconds

some people do lie or they get blessed and then lose it for some reason. i know about that. I go to the UCKG and there are millions of people at the church i go to that are literally and completely blessed and the pastors dont do the job for nuthin. it matters about faith, how good your faith is and how persistant you are in what you want. there are different ways to get to everything. the only thing you cant do is beat god or replace him apart from that the world is your oyster. www.uckg.org
Prycejosh is offline   Reply With Quote