Old 01-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #31
balder

Some years ago their was a case of a man in Sheboigin(don't know if that is spelt correctly)in New York state,who was sentenced to life imprisonment for performing cunnilingus on his wife in a car!I believe the poor guy died in prison before his appeal could be heard.They had bumper (fender) stickers made with "visit Sheboigin,sin city U.S.A"!!!
balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #32
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
There is some hope on this island for the outdated blasphemy laws to be finally dumped.

Watch this space.

Does yankland have anything as stoopid as blasphemy laws?
In some places, until recently, we had "blue laws" which prevented the sale of certain commodities on Sunday, the (incorrect) sabbath.

We have irrational anti-obscenity laws enforced by anonymous, unaccountable and un-credentialed and possibly insane individuals.

We have "hate speech" laws that can be interpreted against any expression that someone does not like.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #33
Stargazer

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
In some places, until recently, we had "blue laws" which prevented the sale of certain commodities on Sunday, the (incorrect) sabbath.
Present tense. Blue laws, whether or not they are still called that, still exist. In Colorado, liquor stores are closed by law on Sundays, and other stores can only sell the beer which has the lower percentage of alcohol on that day. Sorry, I don't know what the percentage is. Not a beer drinker.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #34
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Pennsylvania, too. No liquor stores on Sundays, and you can't buy it anywhere but a state-operated liquor store anyways (including wine.). And no beer except in beer distributors, or bars, where you can buy six packs. Beer distributors, until last year, were not allowed to be open on Sundays either.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #35
Stargazer

Like this prevents any but the woefully unprepared from drinking "hard liquor" and strong beer on Sunday. And I'm not even a drinker. But the whole thing is ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #36
clambake
shred

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
Pennsylvania, too. No liquor stores on Sundays, and you can't buy it anywhere but a state-operated liquor store anyways (including wine.). And no beer except in beer distributors, or bars, where you can buy six packs. Beer distributors, until last year, were not allowed to be open on Sundays either.
Actually there are also some liquor stores open Sundays, including the one half a block from my apartment. Local wineries can sell their own products in their own stores, there's one at the farmer's market (i.e. Allentown Fairgrounds) which is about a quarter mile (400m) from my place.

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #37
Professor Chaos

Quote:
clambake wrote View Post
Actually there are also some liquor stores open Sundays, including the one half a block from my apartment. Local wineries can sell their own products in their own stores, there's one at the farmer's market (i.e. Allentown Fairgrounds) which is about a quarter mile (400m) from my place.
Yeah, that law passed about a year or two ago also. About a dozen liquor stores were given permission by the state (which owns them) to have limited Sunday hours. Most still can't, though.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #38
Professor Chaos

On a somewhat related note, I have a question for those of you living in states where you can actually buy beer at grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. Where do you buy it?

A licensed beer distributor in Pennsylvania is warehouse-sized and stocks every brand of beer imaginable. But I work in West Virginia, where you can buy beer at the Kroger's, and they seem to only stock cases of Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc. They have some six packs of other stuff, but finding a case of good beer is impossible here.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #39
Eva
Super Moderator

we can buy beer here everywhere. gas stations, supermarkets, wal-mart and such. also shitloads of little bars.
but what can i say.......we are not a state, just a shitty little colony......

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #40
Stargazer

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
we can buy beer here everywhere. gas stations, supermarkets, wal-mart and such. also shitloads of little bars.
but what can i say.......we are not a state, just a shitty little colony......
And less shackled by old laws based on religion that never should have existed.

Edited to add: I just realized that could be interpreted two ways. I take responsibility for both meanings.

Last edited by Stargazer; 01-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #41
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post
On a somewhat related note, I have a question for those of you living in states where you can actually buy beer at grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. Where do you buy it?

A licensed beer distributor in Pennsylvania is warehouse-sized and stocks every brand of beer imaginable. But I work in West Virginia, where you can buy beer at the Kroger's, and they seem to only stock cases of Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc. They have some six packs of other stuff, but finding a case of good beer is impossible here.
In Texas, we have "blue laws" (Surprise, surprise!). No alcohol sales before noon (I believe bars and such are excepted).

If the store is in a "wet" city or county (decided by residents), you can buy beer/wine pretty much anywhere (grocery store, gas station, Walmart, etc).

The Kroger in my town, which recently went "wet", carries a halfway decent variety of beer. Along with the horsepiss, they carry the micro-brews, pseudo micro-brews, and some of the more mainstream foreign brands.
They even have some "real" (read Bavarian) wheat beers like Paulaner.

I'm sure it all comes down to what the store thinks it can sell. My town has experienced some strong growth recently, with a lot of middle-class and upper middle-class professionals moving in, which, I think, is reflected in the beer selection.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #42
Eva
Super Moderator

star, the sunday closing law were very hotly debated for a long time. at one point, stores could open on sundays, but none can open before 11 am, unless they pay the employees double time for that period, nor close after 5 pm and doing the same. why? those are the times people usually go to church. catholics.
but if they pay you "enough", religion is less important than money...hehehe

at one point, the law said that only certain articles could be sold on sundays, with ridiculous results. pharmacies had entire sections cordoned off, with little signs everywhere on individual products with a message that said "this article can not be bought on sundays".

all this proved so ridiculous that the law was modified, only to keep the double time pay before 11 and after 5 thingie....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #43
Stargazer

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
star, the sunday closing law were very hotly debated for a long time. at one point, stores could open on sundays, but none can open before 11 am, unless they pay the employees double time for that period, nor close after 5 pm and doing the same. why? those are the times people usually go to church. catholics.
but if they pay you "enough", religion is less important than money...hehehe

at one point, the law said that only certain articles could be sold on sundays, with ridiculous results. pharmacies had entire sections cordoned off, with little signs everywhere on individual products with a message that said "this article can not be bought on sundays".

all this proved so ridiculous that the law was modified, only to keep the double time pay before 11 and after 5 thingie....
How funny. "Church" time is worth more pay. Which means, given the choice between earning money and group prayer . . .Well, it's good for the employees.

It's a good illustration of how stupid the whole thing is.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #44
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
Some stores still do that here. The cooler compartments are chained closed, so that people aren't tempted, I guess.

My store just stops you at the cashier, if you attempt to buy the Devil's Juice.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #45
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

You can have liquor delivered up here (a couple places do it). Plus the liquor stores in ND stay open until 2am.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote