Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #301
MySiddhi

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
If you can't get something simple like gravity right people may suspect that you're full of shit.
Where exactly have I got it wrong?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #302
MySiddhi

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
here's how your arguments sound to me:

If ten percent of people are gay then if you take a room with 100 people and split them into two groups then 10% of each group is gay, and if you split them into two groups again then 10% of the four groups are gay. That's 4 x 10% = 40%. Split them up again into eight and you get 80% gay. Eventually only 10% are not gay and so immediately you see that separating groups of people makes them gays, so when you separate humans from god you get homosexuals. This proves that

1) God is necessary for humans to exist (gays cannot procreate via the anus, medical fact)

2) Homosexuality is evil (it is separate from God: Thomas Acqanus, Spinoza, Ron McDonald)

QED
Straw man fallacy. lol
Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #303
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
"We investigate the local structural heterogeneities that may appear in liquid water by studying a model of interacting water pentamers. We find local energy minima which we identify with well-defined configurations, and advance the hypothesis that one of these configurations may be related to local “high-density” structural heterogeneities occurring in liquid water when subjected to high pressure. Our results are consistent with experimental data on the effect of high pressure on the radial distribution function, and are further tested by molecular dynamics simulations reported here."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...7e19c05cd2dacb

The pressures of the oceanic water can exceed 1100 bar!... and much of this water may in fact be in "high-density" configuration.
You cite a paper that I have to pay $31 to see the text for. I don't want to pay $31 to see how dense "high-density" water is. However, Very-high-density amorphous ice is just 1.26 times the density of water. Sorry, claiming the water is very dense isn't going to cover it. Oxygen and Hydrogen atoms just can't create the mass for this feeble attempt to explain a myth. Water has a low compressibility, so you aren't going to have much luck with explaining the lack of density this way.

Hydrates aren't known for having high density either. I suppose you can try to find a hydrate to prove me wrong, but you'd still have to account for the atoms that the water bonded with anyway.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #304
Choobus
I Live Here

I can download the paper. I will read it later

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #305
MySiddhi

Quote:
Mog wrote View Post
You cite a paper that I have to pay $31 to see the text for. I don't want to pay $31 to see how dense "high-density" water is. However, Very-high-density amorphous ice is just 1.26 times the density of water. Sorry, claiming the water is very dense isn't going to cover it. Oxygen and Hydrogen atoms just can't create the mass for this feeble attempt to explain a myth. Water has a low compressibility, so you aren't going to have much luck with explaining the lack of density this way.

Hydrates aren't known for having high density either. I suppose you can try to find a hydrate to prove me wrong, but you'd still have to account for the atoms that the water bonded with anyway.

Could we calculate how much mass I am supposed to prove probable?

If the surface of the earth were comprised only of the granite continental plates... what would be the mass of the earth?

Are we going to assume a lower density or higher density for the smaller earth? Would the water have decreased the density or increased it?

If we take the surface area of the continental plates and calculate the volume of an earth based on that surface area... and then times that volume by the density we agree upon.

Then we can minus the current mass of the earth with the calculated mass of the smaller earth...

And we would have an actual number for the mass of the water that is in question... besides having all of our assumption explicit.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #306
MySiddhi

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
I can download the paper. I will read it later
Awesome. Could you quote the density change?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #307
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #308
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Quote:
MySiddhi wrote View Post
And how about you actually read the next paragraph of the same proposition and chapter;

"Note.--This is made more clear by what was said in the note to II. vii., namely, that mind and body are one and the same thing, conceived first under the attribute of thought, secondly, under the attribute of extension. Thus it follows that the order or concatenation of things is identical, whether nature be conceived under the one attribute or the other; consequently the order of states of activity and passivity in our body, is simultaneous in nature with the order of states of activity and passivity in the mind. The same conclusion is evident from the manner in which we proved II. xii."
Hmmm, mind and body are (modes of) the same thing. Wouldn't that mean mind-body causality would not be necessary? The whole "proving" mind-body causality is pretty idiotic when you're endorsing dual aspect monism, where causality would go substance->mind and substance->body, making mind->body or body->mind causality completely unnecessary. If you actually understood what you're quoting you wouldn't be in this mess, but then if you understood what you're quoting you wouldn't be endorsing these idiotic theories.

Quote:
You simply have not actually read his Ethics... and the part that you have read you did not understand.
You got me. I've been faking my philosophical knowledge, especially in regards to Spinoza, for years. I'm tellin' ya, it's been tricky, especially getting a paper on Spinoza published in a peer-review philosophy journal without ever having read him. And actually presenting a paper on Spinoza to a room full of philosophers? Whew, that was rough, considering I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm glad I decided philosophy is generally pointless and got the hell out of the field, it was getting tough faking it all the time.

Don't have time to respond to the other point (other than say you're not addressing my objections at all), if I have time tonight I'll address it.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #309
nkb
He who walks among the theists

What are you saying, Professor? That MyShiddi is a posting whore who is just spamming to get his webhits up?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #310
Professor Chaos

(I'm also saying he's a fucking retard.)

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #311
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
MySiddhi wrote View Post
Where exactly have I got it wrong?
You got it wrong because your PREMISE that resurrected imaginary friend Zombie Jesus is REAL and that ALL of the irrational tales of the Bible are TRUE is WRONG. It was accepted as TRUE only in the Middle Ages. IOW retard you believe 2+2=6. So, NOTHING you can say is based on REALITY or empirical FACTS. Got it?.

I suggest you discuss your pseudo science with schizophrenia sufferers or other Christ-psychosis infected fools like you. Again we are in the 21st Century not the 12th and 2+2=4 NOT 6 as you insist.Get well soon.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #312
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
MySiddhi wrote View Post
Could we calculate how much mass I am supposed to prove probable?

If the surface of the earth were comprised only of the granite continental plates... what would be the mass of the earth?
Whatever the mass is, it couldn't be much less than it is now. You are claiming most of this extra mass the earth gets comes from the atmosphere. It seems that if you have too much extra mass there, the Earth would be for all respects in its early years, a gas giant. I'm not at all convinced life could live on the solid surface of a gas giant due to the atmospheric pressure, greenhouse effect, etc.

Quote:
Are we going to assume a lower density or higher density for the smaller earth? Would the water have decreased the density or increased it?
Water would decrease the density. The earth has an iron core.

Quote:
If we take the surface area of the continental plates and calculate the volume of an earth based on that surface area... and then times that volume by the density we agree upon.
One funny thing about the continental plates. Much of them include big chunks of the ocean. The African and South American plates for example, are right next to each other and both extend halfway into the Atlantic ocean. Do you want to include all of the Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean with your calculations Or do you just want the part of the continental plate that is the continental shelf? Of course, one problem with including the Atlantic and Indian Oceans here is that you'd be acknowledging that certain continental plates are growing.

Quote:
Then we can minus the current mass of the earth with the calculated mass of the smaller earth...

And we would have an actual number for the mass of the water that is in question... besides having all of our assumption explicit.
We can probably calculate the mass of the ocean right now. I can probably make a fair guess that it is insignificant compared to the mass of the earth and doesn't affect gravity significantly. Of course, you seem to claim that we don't just have the Earth's Oceans but huge undiscovered reservoirs of water and hydrates beneath the Earth surface.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #313
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote View Post

(I'm also saying he's a fucking retard.)
And I bet that all his talk wound up with suspended accounts because he is too dense to see how faulty his logic was.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #314
Professor Chaos

http://forums.myspace.com/t/3886713....ums.viewthread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #315
nkb
He who walks among the theists

No, it's because people are afraid of his proof, and are trying to silence him.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote