Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #7051
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Hey NotKeenBrain as usual you can't tell your arse from holes in the ground.

Cal- dear Cal

many many many many many times have I addressed 'the message'- you can look for the posts if you care- and many many many many times have you attacked me personally for so doing-the attacks worsened every time you could not prove a damn thing about your pet idea - so- hypocrite you are and hypocrite you will stay

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #7052
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Yeah, I did and, yes, she did. I fought her with venom because many of her opinions had real world, negative consequences for people who otherwise had no ill will towards her.

But my query to Cal was less for his benefit than for the benefit of those who argue with him in vain. Yeah, I know. I'm plenty guilty of do that, too, though seldom with Cal.

I don't know. Maybe I have a prejudice where he is concerned. I read some of his posts (more now than I used to) and, even though Cal has a propensity for tarring folks with a broad brush, he almost never advocates abridging their rights which pretty much makes him cool with me. I most certainly do not share Cal's opinion on most things, but he's entitled to his opinions as long as he's not talking about harming Christians and Muslims because he thinks they're schizophrenics or Christophrenics.

If people want to hold "strange" opinions about other people that are not, otherwise, going affect their freedom to be, er, "different," what's the harm, I say? Of course, that's just my view and others are not obliged to share it.

Still, it's clear to me that there is not a chance in hell that anyone here is ever going to convince Cal that he just might be wrong. But what difference does it make when Cal is the only one affected by his opinions, even in theory?

yeah- he can be mostly harmless- except when it comes to paedophilia

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #7053
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Sorry, Stern. I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't challenge Cal or anyone else here with whom you disagree (including me).

I was merely making the most obvious of points about Cal's position: It's implaccable and does not concern itself with competing points of view. Ever.

Its only saving grace, in my opinion, is that it has nothing more to say about theists other than that they are insane. I mean, at least he doesn't advocate locking them up or anything. For whatever that might be worth to you. Nothing? OK. I hear you

although he has advocated leucotomies of all theists- and - well - anybody that disagrees with him- including me

Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #7054
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
although he has advocated leucotomies of all theists- and - well - anybody that disagrees with him- including me
Wow. I honestly don't remember that. Then again, I tend to skip over most of Cal's posts. I figured they all pretty much make the same point: Atheists aka healthy brained people vs. Penis Christ lovers + Schizophrenics = Christians.

Guess I was wrong. My apologies then.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #7055
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
Oh, let us not be too quick to condemn those among us who, in good atheist honesty, must be counted as "old crotchety geezers". Surely Cal and his sweetie, Lily, have other, more relevant shortcomings worth fervently bitching about.
in good atheist honesty ? don't forget the concept of honesty created by the brain is relative to epoch & has a scale. What's honest to some is dishonest to others...

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #7056
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Cal- dear Cal

many many many many many times have I addressed 'the message'- you can look for the posts if you care- and many many many many times have you attacked me personally for so doing-the attacks worsened every time you could not prove a damn thing about your pet idea - so- hypocrite you are and hypocrite you will stay
I have only responded to your insults when you give them, remember I'm too mature to used such vulgar meaningless language. Like to dish it out but not receive it eh?

I'm not the one calling people dolts, dorks, etc etc..I do declare sweet Diva, has you lost your head?......or is it perhaps psychology & the unruly mentally challenged charges under your command that makes you post such thing exposing a little cognitive dissonance?

Let's don't forget you calling the Christian nuts loonies when I used the CORRECT word, Christ-psychotic....then everyone complained since the "loonies" are NOT mental for believing resurrecting zombies that save with blood are real is perfectly rational thinking.

Where have you been? Sabbatical leave?...I've missed you dearly......

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #7057
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
in good atheist honesty ? don't forget the concept of honesty created by the brain is relative to epoch & has a scale. What's honest to some is dishonest to others...
Whoever invented it, honesty is a natural attribute of atheism because it must see reality and report it truthfully.

Is your honesty so relative that it must be questioned? Have you not been faithfully reporting the facts as you see them? Are you not an atheist and therefore honest?

Like "love", "goodness", "charity", "compassion", "justice" and even "truth" itself, the religious have hijacked the term "honesty" and have presented it as their invention.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Old 05-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #7058
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
I have only responded to your insults when you give them, remember I'm too mature to used such vulgar meaningless language. Like to dish it out but not receive it eh?

I'm not the one calling people dolts, dorks, etc etc..I do declare sweet Diva, has you lost your head?......or is it perhaps psychology & the unruly mentally challenged charges under your command that makes you post such thing exposing a little cognitive dissonance?

Let's don't forget you calling the Christian nuts loonies when I used the CORRECT word, Christ-psychotic....then everyone complained since the "loonies" are NOT mental for believing resurrecting zombies that save with blood are real is perfectly rational thinking.

Where have you been? Sabbatical leave?...I've missed you dearly......
It is sadly true that many insane people have religious-like beliefs and many believers are insane. Another class of apparent believers are simply cynical fakes. It is even sadder that the vast majority of believers are not insane or demented or deranged or mentally defective. The increasing numbers of de-converts from religious to atheist attests to the ability of believers to change, if they are given the necessary information.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #7059
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Whoever invented it, honesty is a natural attribute of atheism because it must see reality and report it truthfully.

Is your honesty so relative that it must be questioned? Have you not been faithfully reporting the facts as you see them? Are you not an atheist and therefore honest?

Like "love", "goodness", "charity", "compassion", "justice" and even "truth" itself, the religious have hijacked the term "honesty" and have presented it as their invention.
Of course..I agree...but do not forget the religious do not believe the brain creates god & the mind. It is the other way around to them....humunculus anyone?.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #7060
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
It is sadly true that many insane people have religious-like beliefs and many believers are insane. Another class of apparent believers are simply cynical fakes. It is even sadder that the vast majority of believers are not insane or demented or deranged or mentally defective. The increasing numbers of de-converts from religious to atheist attests to the ability of believers to change, if they are given the necessary information.
Of course, some ignorant people with crazy ideas can changed as some schizophrenics that believe in identical imaginary friends as those of Christians can also be cured if their illness is not so severe, but I doubt you would have been able to educate, Jim Jones, the 9-11 pilots, Koresh, Andrea Yates & Doe of HEaven's Gate which makes us go back to the question, what's the difference between the schizophrenia producing beliefs of imaginary friends to be reality in educated men's brain and the Christian deluded beliefs held as true also in educated men's brain? Do belief in God comes from outside the brain or the inside?
Could it be that God send waves & our brains simply pick them up acting upon them? If the later would be proven correct then I'll be WRONG & NEVER will be speaking of Christ-psychosis again but till then......tempus omnia revelat.

Since both delusions are accepted by the brain of educated men as true, the only thing that could make them BOTH believe 2+2=5 ( equivalent to the sum of any deluded belief) is a neurological disorder...in the case of Christians that believe in a resurrected zombie name Jesus Christ, the religious syndrome could be called Christ-psychosis....or Loonies as the name Diva prefers to use, which is the same. Isn't a loonie a person that suffers from delusions like schizophrenia?

A nut is a nut regardless of the name used.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #7061
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Of course, some ignorant people with crazy ideas can changed as some schizophrenics that believe in identical imaginary friends as those of Christians can also be cured if their illness is not so severe, but I doubt you would have been able to educate, Jim Jones, the 9-11 pilots, Koresh, Andrea Yates & Doe of HEaven's Gate
Neither you nor I can be sure whether those you list are/were actual believers though I suppose it is likely that many of them were. However, the 23 persons you listed do not represent the majoirty of people who appear to be believers. Most apparent believers are not mentally defective.
Quote:
which makes us go back to the question, what's the difference between the schizophrenia producing beliefs of imaginary friends to be reality in educated men's brain and the Christian deluded beliefs held as true also in educated men's brain? Do belief in God comes from outside the brain or the inside?
Since no-one comes up with an entire religion on their own, that information must come to their minds from outside, things they are told and things they read. You, yourself, did not create the notion of god from scratch; people told you about god and you trusted them and made the idea part of your knowledge base. The brain may decide whether to believe the truth of its information, but it does not create the original information. Creativity involves the rearrangement of existing information and extrapolation, not concocting new information.

I challenge you to have your brain create a brand new tharomon that no-one ever heard about before without using any information you absorbed from your environment.
Quote:
Could it be that God send waves & our brains simply pick them up acting upon them? If the later would be proven correct then I'll be WRONG & NEVER will be speaking of Christ-psychosis again but till then......
You know it is extremely unlikely that God sends mental radio waves to us when he can so easily use the traditional method of whispering into our ears.
Quote:
tempus omnia revelat.
That Latin phrase is a cop-out. It means "I don't know" yet you use it in conjunction with statements of certainty about your pet psychosis hypothesis.
Quote:
Since both delusions are accepted by the brain of educated men as true, the only thing that could make them BOTH believe 2+2=5 ( equivalent to the sum of any deluded belief) is a neurological disorder...in the case of Christians that believe in a resurrected zombie name Jesus Christ, the religious syndrome could be called Christ-psychosis....or Loonies as the name Diva prefers to use, which is the same. Isn't a loonie a person that suffers from delusions like schizophrenia?

A nut is a nut regardless of the name used.
Unfortunately, too many critters that waddle like a duck, quack like a duck and shed water like a duck, are not ducks. Those symptoms are suggestive but far from conclusive in the identification of ducks. Similarly, if some people jabber like a loony, utter non-sequiters like a loony, rely on authority in liew of thinking, like a loony, they may very well not be loonies. They may be either (mostly) misguided or (a significant few) simply lying.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #7062
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Neither you nor I can be sure whether those you list are/were actual believers though I suppose it is likely that many of them were. However, the 23 persons you listed do not represent the majoirty of people who appear to be believers. Most apparent believers are not mentally defective.
Since no-one comes up with an entire religion on their own, that information must come to their minds from outside, things they are told and things they read. You, yourself, did not create the notion of god from scratch; people told you about god and you trusted them and made the idea part of your knowledge base. The brain may decide whether to believe the truth of its information, but it does not create the original information. Creativity involves the rearrangement of existing information and extrapolation, not concocting new information.

I challenge you to have your brain create a brand new tharomon that no-one ever heard about before without using any information you absorbed from your environment.
You know it is extremely unlikely that God sends mental radio waves to us when he can so easily use the traditional method of whispering into our ears.
That Latin phrase is a cop-out. It means "I don't know" yet you use it in conjunction with statements of certainty about your pet psychosis hypothesis.
Unfortunately, too many critters that waddle like a duck, quack like a duck and shed water like a duck, are not ducks. Those symptoms are suggestive but far from conclusive in the identification of ducks. Similarly, if some people jabber like a loony, utter non-sequiters like a loony, rely on authority in liew of thinking, like a loony, they may very well not be loonies. They may be either (mostly) misguided or (a significant few) simply lying.
"Since no-one comes up with an entire religion on their own, that information must come to their minds from outside, things they are told and things they read. You, yourself, did not create the notion of god from scratch; people told you about god and you trusted them and made the idea part of your knowledge base. The brain may decide whether to believe the truth of its information, but it does not create the original information. Creativity involves the rearrangement of existing information and extrapolation, not concocting new information."

I beg to differ. People that are born in a religious family can create a religion of their own. It is easy…need some help? ingest some entheogens.

"That Latin phrase is a cop-out. It means "I don't know" yet you use it in conjunction with statements of certainty about your pet psychosis hypothesis. "

You better study latin, it means with TIME all is revealed. IOW we learn things everyday since there are new discoveries. Neuroscientist are discovering NEW things each day…I suggest you keep up to date with scientific discoveries. Subscribe to National Geographic, Scientific American, Archaeology, Science, Popular mechanics, I do…and those are paper subscriptions. I also subscribe to JAMA ( Journal of American Medical Association ) which includes the most important for my research Archives of General Psychiatry Early Releases.

I know some act like a Christophrenic without being one, or act like a loonie without being one. I am just mentioning people with an obvious neurological disorder. Tell me, WHICH educated intellectual in their SANE mind would commit suicide so he can get the reward in a non existent heaven? WHO? sane people? The problem is that you are ignorant of the LIFE of people like William Miller, ( great disappointment of 1844 ) Ellen White, Taz Russell, Joseph Smith, Koresh, jim Jones, Doe of HEaven's Gate...so please STUDY their life & upbringing. Also study CS Lewis. I have.

Please visit a mental institution where people suffering from mild form of schizophrenia are held & whom you can talk & communicate with, & please try to educate them that their delusions are NOT real, & see if you are succesfull, You do not seem to realize I'm 68 years old, I HAVE DONE THAT, In Colombia, BAsel & Bremen in 1968, 1978 1980s...and I'm not even in the field of neurology. I love to do research...but when I 'm wrong I admit it..I like for people to bring out the EVIDENCE. that PROVES I am going in the wrong direction.

After all I go with the premise, that we CREATE delusions of god with our BRAINS no the arse...something you keep forgetting. By studying this amazing organ which is filled with miniature universes all including quantum mechanics which IMHO is what makes this organ create THOUGHT higher cognition in us evolved mutated primates, understanding anything else is a piece of cake. The path is open. Those who study the past will understand the present, themselves & predict a possible future. Again, tempus (with TIME ) omnia ( ALL ) revelat (will reveal).

Where did you get that: " I don't know" translation? Dysneyland?

Old 05-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #7063
psychodiva
I Live Here

Quote:
some more crap
which shows his complete and utter ignorance of matters both psychological and psychiatric *sigh*

and no -I have not been on a sabbatical (some of us have to work for a living) I have a new job and was settling in to said job- still am in fact so may not be here very often. and yes it is yet another job that involves real psychology and psychiatry and yes real neurology with real people who have real lives and real trauma and real disabilities and real concerns and real pain - fancy that eh? I manage to get jobs year after year dealing with these things yet I know nothing about those subjects whatsoever

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #7064
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
"Since no-one comes up with an entire religion on their own, that information must come to their minds from outside, things they are told and things they read. You, yourself, did not create the notion of god from scratch; people told you about god and you trusted them and made the idea part of your knowledge base. The brain may decide whether to believe the truth of its information, but it does not create the original information. Creativity involves the rearrangement of existing information and extrapolation, not concocting new information."

I beg to differ. People that are born in a religious family can create a religion of their own. It is easy…need some help? ingest some entheogens.
You refute yourself completely by specifying "born in a religious family". A person born in a religious family is expected to absorb whatever they tell him and believe it without question. This is not creating a religion in the brain, it is, for the first few years, just running a neuronal tape recorder.

One cannot decide whether to believe in god or not if there is no god concept, impressed from outside, to refer to.

You have not given us any information about the tharomon that I challenged you to create without reference to information you obtained from sources outside your brain.
Quote:
"That Latin phrase is a cop-out. It means "I don't know" yet you use it in conjunction with statements of certainty about your pet psychosis hypothesis. "

You better study latin, it means with TIME all is revealed. IOW we learn things everyday since there are new discoveries. Neuroscientist are discovering NEW things each day…I suggest you keep up to date with scientific discoveries. Subscribe to National Geographic, Scientific American, Archaeology, Science, Popular mechanics, I do…and those are paper subscriptions. I also subscribe to JAMA ( Journal of American Medical Association ) which includes the most important for my research Archives of General Psychiatry Early Releases.
Your use of the phrase "with TIME all is revealed" does mean that the facts under consideration have not yet been revealed, that is, you do not know yet if the fact is true. You apparently inserted a superfluous arcane phrase to cover your lack of knowledge. In your particular case it is sad that age does not always bring wisdom.
Quote:
I know some act like a Christophrenic without being one, or act like a loonie without being one. I am just mentioning people with an obvious neurological disorder. Tell me, WHICH educated intellectual in their SANE mind would commit suicide so he can get the reward in a non existent heaven? WHO? sane people? The problem is that you are ignorant of the LIFE of people like William Miller, ( great disappointment of 1844 ) Ellen White, Taz Russell, Joseph Smith, Koresh, jim Jones, Doe of HEaven's Gate...so please STUDY their life & upbringing. Also study CS Lewis. I have.
You cannot have studied their lives very closely or you would know that Joseph Smith was a con-man through and through. He was no more a believer in angels and Gold plates than he was in the wrongness of lying for personal gain. Miller was probably a believer, but, if he was brought up to be religious, then his brain was not given the necessary information at a time when it could decide on the truth of religious propositions. He very likely was very misguided. Koresh and Jones may have had defective brains or not. We can't really know just what they believed nor whether their "knowledge" would have enabled them to make a different choice.
Quote:
Please visit a mental institution where people suffering from mild form of schizophrenia are held & whom you can talk & communicate with, & please try to educate them that their delusions are NOT real, & see if you are succesfull, You do not seem to realize I'm 68 years old, I HAVE DONE THAT, In Colombia, BAsel & Bremen in 1968, 1978 1980s...and I'm not even in the field of neurology. I love to do research...but when I 'm wrong I admit it..I like for people to bring out the EVIDENCE. that PROVES I am going in the wrong direction.
Will you please get off this horse? I get it, schizophrenic people have symptoms of schizophrenia. Some symptoms of religiosity resemble some symptoms of schizophrenia, OK. It remains that very few of the people with religious symptoms are schizophrenic.
Quote:
After all I go with the premise, that we CREATE delusions of god with our BRAINS no the arse
You are using your personal faith ("I go with") as support for a proposition? Shame on you. Further shame on you for the unnecessarily flamboyant "no[sic] the arse".
Quote:
...something you keep forgetting.
I am forgetting nothing, I am disputing your categoric yet unsupported claim that believers are deluded because what they believe is false and that therefore they are psychotic enough to need institutionalization.

As a general rule, schizophrenics drink milk and eat meat so I recommend that milk drinkers and meat eaters go to a clinic and get their heads fixed.
Quote:
By studying this amazing organ which is filled with miniature universes all including quantum mechanics which IMHO [your opinion is hardly humble] is what makes this organ create THOUGHT higher cognition in us evolved mutated primates, understanding anything else is a piece of cake. The path is open. Those who study the past will understand the present, themselves & predict a possible future. Again, tempus (with TIME ) omnia ( ALL ) revelat (will reveal).
Time will only reveal the truth to those who, admitting their current lack of knowledge, diligently pursue the facts that are now hidden from us.
Quote:
Where did you get that: " I don't know" translation? Dysneyland?
It is not a translation, it is the meaning of the phrase in the context that you supplied. Where did you get your language skills, DisneyLand? I thought not.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #7065
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
which shows his complete and utter ignorance of matters both psychological and psychiatric *sigh*

and no -I have not been on a sabbatical (some of us have to work for a living) I have a new job and was settling in to said job- still am in fact so may not be here very often. and yes it is yet another job that involves real psychology and psychiatry and yes real neurology with real people who have real lives and real trauma and real disabilities and real concerns and real pain - fancy that eh? I manage to get jobs year after year dealing with these things yet I know nothing about those subjects whatsoever
I suppose, then, that you will not be caring for/curing those millions who are psychotic based solely on their apparent belief in a higher power.

Closed Thread