Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Ed-M

Calpurnpiso and I might make a fine tag team over Crucifixion.

New here! I've been lurking off and on for a short while but I figured, it's time to join. Besides, Calpurnpiso and I (as YouTuber EdM021) had a small back and forth over whether the Romans crucified or not.

I became born-again in my teens and for a long while, I continued to subscribe to Christianity. I basically got burnt out by it in my twenties when I joined a cult called the Boston Church of Christ. Still believed until recently, attended services to recharge off and on. What caused my faith to collapse? Simple. I found out that in the 1st Century CE, Nazareth never existed. All that was discovered to be there (so far) was a necropolis and one single family house. And no mention of that town in the historical records until the 2nd century CE. That is a proven fact.

Well after that, I decided to look into the business of "crucifixion." Turns out, what the Romans did was a form of impalement. And what is the modern definition of "crucifixion?"

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

crucifixion n. 1.a. The act of crucifying, execution on a cross. b. Crucifixion. The crucifying of Jesus on Calvary. Used with the. c. A representation of Jesus on the cross. 2. An extremely difficult and painful trial; tortuous suffering.

crucify v. -fied, fying, fies. 1. To put a person to death by nailing or binding to a [Ed-M: flat plane] cross. 2. To mortify or subdue (the flesh). 3. To subject to cruel treatment; torment: a candidate who was crucified by the press. [Middle English crucified, from Old French crucifier, alteration of Latin crucifigere : crux, cruc-, cross + figere, to attach.

So, according to the modern definition of crucifixion, the Romans never crucifed. Either that or we moderns have crucifixion completely wrong!

Anybody wants to discuss, either lets's dig up the old thread that references Martin Hengel's Crucifixion in it, or start a new one!

In closing, I'm grateful to the fates that I'm no longer under the spell of Christianity.
Ed-M is offline   Reply With Quote