Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #106
Whisper

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
It's already like that in my house.
Ditto

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #107
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Choobus wrote View Post
is it better to give than to receive, or is it better to give AND receive?
That, sir, is all a matter of what type of gifts are in question.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #108
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kate wrote View Post
It's already like that in my house.
Me too! When my daughter was young, we had a nativity scene that we modified every few days with Star Wars figures, etc. We've started that tradition again recently. Last year, a little baby unicorn was the chosen one. This year it is gonna be the Joker from Batman.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #109
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

And I thought the kiddy diddling was reserved for the catlickers, how wrong I was. (found via PZ)
I wonder if the real law enforcement agencies will get hold of this 'properly' - and see if the chief rat (or is it budd?) helps prevent a dose of jail time.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #110
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Kate I would really appreciate if you can give me the link of that image if it is true. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #111
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
A test performed by DNA Diagnostics Center determined the probability that Boa-Ubol fathered the child was 99.9999997 percent, according to a copy of the results.
Quote:
"Oh, how wonderful," he said when informed by the Tribune about the DNA test results. "I don't believe it."
Well that settles it then, as long as the alleged rapist doesn't believe it.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #112
JU Mike
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Me too! When my daughter was young, we had a nativity scene that we modified every few days with Star Wars figures, etc. We've started that tradition again recently. Last year, a little baby unicorn was the chosen one. This year it is gonna be the Joker from Batman.
Why so sinless?
JU Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #113
Whisper

Did anybody catch this one yet?

Quote:
Buddhist monks walk away from sex-abuse cases

Across the U.S., temples frustrate investigators by insisting they have no control over monks' actions, whereabouts

The meeting took place at Wat Dhammaram, a cavernous Theravada Buddhist temple on the southwest edge of Chicago. A tearful 12-year-old told three monks how another monk had turned off the lights during a tutoring session, lifted her shirt and kissed and fondled her breasts while pressing against her, according to a lawsuit.

Shortly after that meeting, one of the monks sent a letter to the girl's family, saying the temple's monastic community had resolved the matter, the lawsuit says.

The "wrong doer had accepted what he had done," wrote P. Boonshoo Sriburin, and within days would "leave the temple permanently" by flying back to Thailand.

"We have done our best to restore the order," the letter said.

But 11 years later, the monk, Camnong Boa-Ubol, serves at a temple in California, where he says he interacts with children even as he faces a second claim, supported by DNA, that he impregnated a girl in the Chicago area.
Find the rest of the article here.

As someone commented on my post about it earlier 'There goes the modicum of respect I had for Buddhism'. Not that I, personally, had much anyway.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #114
Whisper

Oops - just noticed Smelly got there first XD Sorry

Quote:
Charles Darwin.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #115
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

I'm well known for coming early.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #116
psychodiva
I Live Here

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #117
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #118
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
I'm well known for coming early.
Why the sad face, it's all about perception, I'm that good at it now sometimes my wife doesn't realise we have had sex. Plus, my father reliably informs me that as he has got older his cock has shrunk, so maybe the reduced distance plays a part.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #119
Jiddir
New Member!

Exclamation Corrections

I am an atheist and theoretical physicist who has practiced Zen for years and there are many many many errors throughout this thread. First, Buddhism is 100% compatible with modern science. The highest ranking members of most Buddhists sects have stated that if science were to prove some part of buddhism wrong then buddhism would have to change to adapt with the findings of science.

Correcting some of your errors. Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation. Reincarnation is a Hindu belief. Reincarnation requires a soul and buddhists do not believe in a soul. Buddhists believe in rebirth, which is the same principle most scientists believe. Just means our energy does not end when we die and that our bodies/energy is consumed by the earth and made into different things.

Karma is also not a supernatural element in Buddhism. All Karma means is cause and effect. I am pretty sure all scientists should believe in the principle of cause and effect.

Lastly nirvana is also not a supernatural element. All nirvana is a complete peaceful state of being.

Of course there are extremists as there are with any religion and even some atheists.

“Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spiritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." -Albert Einstein

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.” -Dalai Lama XIV

As Atheists we should make sure we are doing research and not making hateful claims that are untrue about any religion. If we do not do our research and just make biased assumptions, then we are no better than any religious organization that does the same to us.
Jiddir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #120
nkb
He who walks among the theists

All you've really shown is that apologists exist for every religion, including Buddhism.

Sure, Buddhism is a hell of a lot better than most other religions, especially the Big Three, but, in the end, you still believe in unverifiable, unproven made-up stuff.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote