Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #241
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
I'm a firm believer in martyrdom, but, of course, it's not for me.....
That's funny.

On a not so funny note, in Ubs' quote:

"I'm of the opinion that alive an in pain is always preferable to non existence and I believe we off our pets for our own comfort and convenience. It's handy that they can't talk."

I recently euthanized---or murdered? my dearest friend and companion of more than 18 years. So I have been wondering about this for sometime. She was in decline for the past two years, and recently her struggles had become much worse, and it was becoming impossible for me to leave her for any length of time, for fear of her falling and not being able to get up. I can tell you I much preferred the inconvenience of caring for her as opposed to her death.

But I now wonder how long I let her suffer, if maybe I kept her alive FOR my own convenience, rather than the other way around, as Ubs's statement implies. If she could have spoken, perhaps she would have been able to let me know how much she was suffering, or if she was.

Euthanasia feels to me like murder, but I felt like I had to chose between two things: 1) going through the treatment and letting her linger in possible pain and confusion, but with a chance of recovery and a few more good days: or 2) killing her quickly, but with no chance of more good days.

I really don't know if I made the right choice, and I don't think I will ever know.

"If God inspired the Bible, why is it such a piece of shit?" (Kaziglu Bey)
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #242
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
I recently euthanized---or murdered? my dearest friend and companion of more than 18 years.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #243
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
That's funny.

On a not so funny note, in Ubs' quote:

"I'm of the opinion that alive an in pain is always preferable to non existence and I believe we off our pets for our own comfort and convenience. It's handy that they can't talk."

I recently euthanized---or murdered? my dearest friend and companion of more than 18 years. So I have been wondering about this for sometime. She was in decline for the past two years, and recently her struggles had become much worse, and it was becoming impossible for me to leave her for any length of time, for fear of her falling and not being able to get up. I can tell you I much preferred the inconvenience of caring for her as opposed to her death.

But I now wonder how long I let her suffer, if maybe I kept her alive FOR my own convenience, rather than the other way around, as Ubs's statement implies. If she could have spoken, perhaps she would have been able to let me know how much she was suffering, or if she was.

Euthanasia feels to me like murder, but I felt like I had to chose between two things: 1) going through the treatment and letting her linger in possible pain and confusion, but with a chance of recovery and a few more good days: or 2) killing her quickly, but with no chance of more good days.

I really don't know if I made the right choice, and I don't think I will ever know.
I'm sure your motives were for your pet's comfort, rather than any selfishness. Have been there too, had a senior pet who went into kidney failure. Kept her going with fluid injections,which she tolerated quite well. We resolved to keep her going as long as she wasn't suffering. One evening, she had dry heaves, and it took everything out of her, literally leaving her gasping for breath. Stayed with her 'til one in the morning, and when I got up early, she was in a corner of the room, facing into the corner, with her head bobbing up and down. She obviously wasn't enjoying life anymore.
The euthanasia process was painless, and literally took only a couple of seconds. Still, it was a tearful time. Luckily, we have a wonderful Vet.
Amazing how the religious seem determined to deny others pleasure whenever they can, but love the power to make them suffer.
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #244
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

So, apart from its beer, Belgium might be stirring up some more shit.
Quote:
The Belgian Senate has voted in favour of extending its euthanasia law to terminally-ill children. The Senate voted 50-17 in favour of the legislation, which is opposed by religious leaders in Belgium. The bill seeks to allow children to ask for euthanasia if their illness is terminal, they are in great pain and there is no available treatment. It will now go before the lower house of parliament, where correspondents say it is likely to be approved.
No real surprise to see the frock wearing fuckwits refusing to support something that could reduce suffering.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #245
Davin
Obsessed Member

Religions seem to distort people's empathy. I wish the US would start to take euthanasia more seriously in cases like that.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #246
mondrian

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
So, apart from its beer, Belgium might be stirring up some more shit.
No real surprise to see the frock wearing fuckwits refusing to support something that could reduce suffering.
My mother had Alzheimer's. That is one real son of a bitch of a disease. A few months after her death, dad had a word with me. He made me promise that if he went the same way, I'd do 'something about it'.

What I didn't realise at the time was that he suspected that he was already showing the early signs of the evil disease.

Slowly, the evil disease took hold and he deteriorated bit by bit.

Finally, I decided enough was enough. Sadly, the time had come to look at Dignitas.

I have a brother and a sister and decided to talk to them too.

To cut a long story short, they ignored my father's wishes and had him made a ward of court. Ain't spoken to the two fuckers since and never will. I'll forgive 'em when dad tells me - not until.

The strange thing was that neither of them ever went to see him. It was all left to me.

Dad died a very sad and slow death. He had no dignity whatsoever left. I was powerless to do anything about it.

Let's cut out the shit, the religious crap and the moral issues and get to the bottom line.

It's about one issue and one issue only: How would we wish to die, with dignity and as pain-free as possible or suffering to the bitter end?

The rest is just bull shit.

The middle man of last resort.
mondrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #247
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Weird innit, but every time the civilised world has a discussion about general improvements in the quality of life (or death), minimising pain, suffering, discrimination and all things horrible - it's usually some dressed up fool wielding a bible, koran or some other piece of shit standing in the way.

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #248
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

Quote:
mondrian wrote View Post
My mother had Alzheimer's. That is one real son of a bitch of a disease. A few months after her death, dad had a word with me. He made me promise that if he went the same way, I'd do 'something about it'.

What I didn't realise at the time was that he suspected that he was already showing the early signs of the evil disease.

Slowly, the evil disease took hold and he deteriorated bit by bit.

Finally, I decided enough was enough. Sadly, the time had come to look at Dignitas.

I have a brother and a sister and decided to talk to them too.

To cut a long story short, they ignored my father's wishes and had him made a ward of court. Ain't spoken to the two fuckers since and never will. I'll forgive 'em when dad tells me - not until.

The strange thing was that neither of them ever went to see him. It was all left to me.

Dad died a very sad and slow death. He had no dignity whatsoever left. I was powerless to do anything about it.

Let's cut out the shit, the religious crap and the moral issues and get to the bottom line.

It's about one issue and one issue only: How would we wish to die, with dignity and as pain-free as possible or suffering to the bitter end?

The rest is just bull shit.
What a sad story. My genuine sympathies. The sooner we can have a bit of dignity in death for what are some very undignified diseases, the sooner we will have actually taken a solid step forward on the subject. Nothing wrong with going out with your head held high.

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #249
mondrian

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Weird innit, but every time the civilised world has a discussion about general improvements in the quality of life (or death), minimising pain, suffering, discrimination and all things horrible - it's usually some dressed up fool wielding a bible, koran or some other piece of shit standing in the way.
Weird ain't the fuckin' word.

We've all become too 'kin politically correct from living in the fuckin' nanny state created by the last labour government. Cunts. The only place left in the whole of the known cosmos where you can speak your mind is on this forum.

I hate Britain's Got Talent but the out-takes are knicker wetting. Some twat comes in and starts to howl like some demented meerkat on speed. Then Simon Cowell asks 'Who told you that you could sing'. 'My friends' utters the twat. See, that's what being PC does. Instead of telling ya best mate that he's a complete and utter tosser when he's being a complete and utter tosser, or telling him that he really can't sing, we keep shtum and give him a high five. Then, he ends up on Britain's Got Talent looking a complete twat in front of 19.5 million other twats. That's PC for ya!

Same with dying. When it's your turn, it's your turn. No good bitching and moaning. Instead of helping them leave as quickly and as painlessly as possible, we get all PC. That means holding several Public Enquiries, a Royal Commission and a Judicial Enquiry. After spending £750 million on all this bollocks, they all come to the same conclusion - that things should remain as they are 'cos they are all a set of pussies and no one has a big enough pair of bollocks to do what's really required.

Meanwhile, the dying are left at the mercy of some NHS doctor who has fallen asleep in the women's toilets again 'cos he's working a 127 hour week and some orderly who's on minimum wage and only speaks Swahili. Consequently, the dying are left writhing in pain in their own excrement 'cos no one can be arsed to change the bloody bed sheets or administer the appropriate drugs.

Yeh, there's ass-holes gonna say 'Well, if we change the law and allow euthanasia, this might happen or that might happen.' Yup, that's all very true. It might. Well, you stupid fuckwits, put some controls in place to minimise 'this' or 'that' happening. Then, we can all get on with dying in a painless way with our respect and dignity in tact. Fuck me people, it ain't rocket science.

To those who want to stop euthanasia - can I just say - fuck you and I hope that when you die, it is soon and you are in the most excruciating pain that any human being has yet suffered. Then, when you scream and beg and plead for someone to end your suffering, all you will get is the finger.

To those who support euthanasia - can I just say - bless you. May you live long and prosper and have a quick and painless death.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #250
mondrian

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
What a sad story. My genuine sympathies. The sooner we can have a bit of dignity in death for what are some very undignified diseases, the sooner we will have actually taken a solid step forward on the subject. Nothing wrong with going out with your head held high.
You sympathy is much appreciated but what's required is some fookin' action from the powers that be.

Fuck me, it's a sad life when you can't even choose to die painlessly, don't ya think?

Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #251
ILOVEJESUS
I Live Here

why not have a euthanasia licence? It can be applied for, paperwork filled out and checks administered etc?

A theist is just an atheist with a space in it.
ILOVEJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #252
mondrian

Quote:
ILOVEJESUS wrote View Post
why not have a euthanasia licence? It can be applied for, paperwork filled out and checks administered etc?
Bless you ILJ.

Ahh, fuck. Can I say that?

I'll have the smellyoldgit wanting my balls for ear rings for saying that, I expect.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #253
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stop the Holy See men!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #254
mondrian

Forgot to say in my earlier post ....

A few days after my dad died, I got a call from the coroner. Even though dad had Alzheimers they still had to perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death. I have to admit that the guy that called was really good. He explained that he was sad for my loss but was required to by law to perform an autopsy. He was very apologetic. I told him that my dad died long before his physical death - due to that evil disease. Then, I got the shock of my life. He told me that my father actually died from cancer. So, the poor sod had cancer and no one knew because he couldn't tell anyone. I'm just hoping that the Alzheimers had killed off the pain receptors in his brain otherwise who knows what pain he was suffering, or for how long.

So, anyone out there still against euthanasia?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #255
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

What have The Belgians ever done for us?!

Dragged us slowly towards how most of us unquestioningly treat our ailing pussies & poochies. Good on ya Poirot.

Stop the Holy See men!