Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
nkb
He who walks among the theists

The faithful like to torture

I can't say it's a big shocker, but, according to a Pew Research Center survey, the faithful are more likely to condone torture of suspected terrorists than non-religious people.

Is anybody surprised?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
ubs
I Live Here

Well sure. If grow up tortured, you probably think it's ok for others.

I read recently that people who perceive God as liking them are happier than non believers but people who perceive God as angry and judgmental are more stressed than non believers.

That's why I make sure all my imaginary friends kiss my ass. And why I don't support torture...even going so far as to object to the torturing of torturers, unlike some.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
I can't say it's a big shocker, but, according to a Pew Research Center survey, the faithful are more likely to condone torture of suspected terrorists than non-religious people.

Is anybody surprised?

No one here will be surprised, not even the Xians. Most Christers are all for nuking the crap out of the Muslims. (Not that I am not, on many days, but then I don't claim to follow Jeebus.) I confronted one such Jesus nut at work about this. I said, didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek, to forgive repeatedly, and to show love to your enemies, even in the face of hatred? And so you think Jesus would be okay w/ torturing people that might have information that might be valuable? And what if the person you torture is actually innocent, what then? I was told that I had better be sure I was on the right side when judgment day came, which is supposedly coming very soon. I got dirty looks too. I actually ended up leaving this job, in part for this reason. Now I keep my mouth shut at work.

In a way, it makes sense. If you really believe these heathen are going to burn for all eternity in hell, what's the sin in a little torture in the here and now? Besides, your sins will be forgiven, since your are worshiping the right god.

This is the kind of disgusting hypochristy that turned me finally against Xianity, and religion in general. Religion makes it very easy to be cruel to others. I cannot think of one religion that is an exception.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post

Is anybody surprised?
What is the shocker there? Most of these perverse bastards are nearly orgasmic at the thought of the disbelievers of their flavor of imaginary friend suffering eternal torment while they eat bon bons with Jesus and laugh, "ha, ha, ha!"

It's no shocker.

This is a shocker:

These are shockers:

Most of these are shockers:

Most of these are shockers, too:

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
ghoulslime
I Live Here

This is a shocker:

This is just Christianity in action:

There's nothing shocking about it. After 2000 years of this shit, what is the surprise?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

On the one hand, this fits in with my thesis that adherence to dogma can cultivate monstrous behavior, but I'm not so sure that I'm buying this poll.

Quote:
"Do you think the use of torture against suspected terrorists in order to gain important information can often be justified, sometimes be justified, rarely be justified, or never be justified?"
The phrase "in order to gain important information" shouldn't be in there. Even I might say 'sometimes' justified with that proviso. It suggests the efficacy of torture, which is hardly something to be assumed. Take out that phrase and I doubt so many people would be on board with it (though the proportion of Christers luvvin it would probably stay same).

And why wasn't this put in Anality of Evil thread you filthy bastards? There aren't enough pics of Ghoulslimes girlfriends in there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
ubs wrote
Well sure. If grow up tortured, you probably think it's ok for others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote