Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #76
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
DinaNoun wrote
This site is fucked up. The people here want me to teach my children to use profanity, and the rules here give respect to a person's quote - but none at all to the person himself.
Honestly, I don't think anyone suggested you teach your kid profanity. We conveyed our experiences, but did we instruct you to do the same?

If you don't like it here, why are you here?

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #77
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
DinaNoun wrote
Okay, here's how it's going to work.

I am going to prevent my kids from using profanity. If you don't like that ... :bird:
Whoopie-flaming-do! No one told you to.

Frankly, I am glad that you will not teach your children profanity. I do not believe that you could do it properly so that it would be an effective linguistic tool for them. I will be interested to find out how you intend to prevent them from using profanity without teaching them just which words and phrases and circumstances are profane (and, not just by your definition, but the community's definition as well). You have staked out quite a project for yourself.

This site is not even-handed journalism. The lions in this particular den are highly partisan on the side of atheism, hence the site title. Some standards of respect and civility do hold here, but not all of them when a (tolerated) invader begins to make demands or pronouncements about our behavior.

Don't forget, we are an oppressed minority and your kind aren't.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #78
Choobus
I Live Here

At the very least DinaNoun should explain to his children what the word asshole means because it will be very confusing for them when everyone keeps referring to him that way and they have no idea what it means.

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #79
Gathercole

I think DinaNoun is an atheist... another one of those "moral atheists." I guess some people have to have something.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #80
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
DinaNoun wrote
Okay, here's how it's going to work.

I am going to prevent my kids from using profanity. If you don't like that ... :bird:
:/ Yeah, good luck with that. Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing when the day comes that you ask your child "So how was school today?" to which your child responds "How was my day? Fucking Christ I'll tell you my day was..."

Quote:
This site is fucked up. The people here want me to teach my children to use profanity, and the rules here give respect to a person's quote - but none at all to the person himself.
Sorry to tell you this, but your kids are going to learn what is generally considered as "profanity" whether you like it or not. Wouldn't it be better for you to teach them and educate them as the appropriate/not appropriate situations to say shit of fuck?
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #81
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
thomas wrote
Trouble is, for all your oh-so-reasonable-arguments, you just end up sounding like beavis and butthead.

I put it down to a lack of imagination and an inability to express yourselves.
How’s this for lack of imagination and an inability to express myself, Thomas?

Thomas was a self-righteous crass,
With a load of Christ in his ass.
He was filled to the brim,
With a mind-numbing whim,
That the Holy Ghost testified daily to him,
Was true, was true, was true!
Halleluiah! Halleluiah, to all of you!
Thomas was a twisted little sperm,
A spineless, illogical little worm!
He had long lost his wit,
In a theist pile of shit.
He could still articulate,
But this monkey’s tragic fate,
Was to spread his word of hate,
A limp dick trying to masturbate,
Too dumb to even postulate
A thought with which logic could relate,
Numb from all the shit he ate!
Ahhhhhhhhmen!

:rock:

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #82
Eva
Super Moderator

:bow: :wstupid:

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #83
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote
:bow: :wstupid:
While you are down there on your hands and knees, could I ask a favor of you? Huh huh hmmmm.....?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #84
Eva
Super Moderator

nope.......

:vomit:

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #85
Gathercole

This is the best thread I've ever started
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #86
postbicameral

Quote:
thomas wrote
Trouble is, for all your oh-so-reasonable-arguments, you just end up sounding like beavis and butthead.

I put it down to a lack of imagination and an inability to express yourselves.
Whats this? I like Beavis and Butthead. And yes, thomas, you do have a great imagination- that story about there being a god proves it!

:bird: