Old 08-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
Livingstrong

Quote:
Oz wrote
You don't do yourself much credit by flying off the handle there, Psy. I challenge you to find anything I said that implies you should be ashamed about being gay or whatever race you are. Just like it's foolish to be proud of your orientation (whatever way it is), it's foolish to be ashamed of it.

I'll say it again for you. It's silly to be proud of an inborn characteristic since you're essentially being proud of having been born. And let's face it, someone else did all the work on that one.
Yeah! Like I am proud or ashamed of having a nose attached to my face.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
Livingstrong

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote
Quote:
HomoCyclist wrote
I just don't agree with my fella proud homosexual friends. But we love each other anyways.
How about, instead of "homofilia", "homotropism", a leaning toward?
Homotropism:

The attraction of cells to other cells which are similar to them, or are of the same type.

Very elegant ! So now I am going to say that I am a Homotropic person.
But I seriously doubt a lot of people would understand what I mean.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
Waddlie
Still Kate's Bitch...

Oooh look, Psy's posted another thread ostensibly about *something* when all he really wants to do is shout his gayness from the rooftops and then accuse everyone who dares to point out the astoundingly obvious fact that he's a juvenile attention seeking moron of homophobia. Yawn.

HC - I don't think I've ever really spoken to you but I think you're fucking wicked! :thumbsup:

One man's strawman is another man's asshole.
Waddlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #19
Livingstrong

Quote:
Waddlie wrote
Oooh look, Psy's posted another thread ostensibly about *something* when all he really wants to do is shout his gayness from the rooftops and then accuse everyone who dares to point out the astoundingly obvious fact that he's a juvenile attention seeking moron of homophobia. Yawn.

HC - I don't think I've ever really spoken to you but I think you're fucking wicked! :thumbsup:
Waddlie,
Glad talking to you! I hope we continue to have a conversation in future posts.

I've read your posts too. I think you rock yourself :rock:
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #20
leave my name out!

@forum. When I say I'm proud to be black! (And I damn sure am!) I'm not talking about my skin tone as much as I'm talking about my culture and history and the legacy of my ancestors who suffered so much under the wicked reign of white supremacy! (racism) but I'm not allowed to be online because my girlfriend is jealous of the time I spend with ya'll so later!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
skribb

You can't really be proud of your heritage because you're not even part of it. You were never a slave and you weren't alive in those days. This would mean that I can't (or can) be proud of whites because Hitler was white. See what I mean?

Be proud of what you do, not what people of the same skin color did hundreds of years ago.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #22
skribb

Quote:
psyadam wrote
Quote:
Oz wrote
Quote:
psyadam wrote
Well I guess I'm a racist according to you because I am proud of my race and my sexual orientation
Is there something superior about your race that make you proud?

Did you choose your parents? If not, all you did in order to be the race you are is be born. Wooo, BFD.

Either you were born gay or you chose to be gay. If, as I suspect, the former is true, why should you be proud of it? What did you do that is worthy of praise? Coming out may have taken courage, and that would be something to be proud of. Even if you were in the closet, though, you'd still be gay. So you can be proud of being open, but to be proud of being gay is as dumb as it would be to be proud of being white, black, male, or female.
You're right Oz, I guess I should be ashamed instead. It's hard to argue with such brilliant logic
Everything isn't in black and white Adam. Don't be proud, don't be ashamed - just plain BE!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #23
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Quote:
leave my name out! wrote
@forum. When I say I'm proud to be black! (And I damn sure am!) I'm not talking about my skin tone as much as I'm talking about my culture and history and the legacy of my ancestors who suffered so much under the wicked reign of white supremacy! (racism) but I'm not allowed to be online because my girlfriend is jealous of the time I spend with ya'll so later!
If one of your ancestors happened to be a slaveowner, would you have any less pride?

Now, go schtup your girlfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #24
leguru

Quote:
psyadam wrote
what is racism? and what can we do about it?
Racism and bigotry are tribalism and are a manifestation of the herd instinct to survive. If it's different, kill it so the herd will live. Anthropoligists studying a group of monkeys in the jungle, removed one of them and painted it green. When they returned the monkey to its group, the others fell on it and killed it. It was different! We, however, have come a long way since we were in "herds", or so I would like to think. Humans have the capacity to think about their actions and make conscious decisions. They seldom do so, but they have the capacity. "...what can we do about it?" - try educating and humanizing others to realize we can be stronger because of our differences, if we so chose. It probably won't work well with large groups, but one-on-one we can dialogue and discover how much we can gain from our relationships with others of different tribes.
:cheers:
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #25
miata

Quote:
psyadam wrote
what is racism? and what can we do about it? I often hear on forums one person accusing another of being a racist or a being a bigot (not sure if the terms are synonymous or what) -- mostly I think the people who are calling others racist are intolerant themselves. So what if one group discriminates against another?
In the redneck south USA it's related to NASCAR.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #26
Geise

Quote:
Oz wrote
Quote:
psyadam wrote
Quote:
Oz wrote
Racism is the belief that a "race" of human beings (Scathach is right, but 'race' has picked up a common definition currently in use) is either superior to others or inferior to others just by virtue of being that race. In essence, it is an attempt to take credit for the virtues of other people or to hold people responsilble for the vices of others. Racism is a subset of bigotry in general.

People who proclaim that they are "proud to be (race X)" are racist. The same goes for pride in one's sex or sexual orientation (Is there a word for the reverse of homophobia? Homophilia just sounds too positive. I'm talking about bigotry from homos against heteros, which I grant is rare.) It's asinine to be "proud" of something over which you have no control.

Racism is the last refuge of the loser. People who have their own accomlpishments don't need to steal others'.
Well I guess I'm a racist according to you because I am proud of my race and my sexual orientation
Is there something superior about your race that make you proud?

Did you choose your parents? If not, all you did in order to be the race you are is be born. Wooo, BFD.

Either you were born gay or you chose to be gay. If, as I suspect, the former is true, why should you be proud of it? What did you do that is worthy of praise? Coming out may have taken courage, and that would be something to be proud of. Even if you were in the closet, though, you'd still be gay. So you can be proud of being open, but to be proud of being gay is as dumb as it would be to be proud of being white, black, male, or female.
I think people mistakenly use "proud of" when they really mean "content with", and I think the latter is what most people mean when they talk of their race, orientation, heritage, ect.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Sigma

I am a handist. In other words I believe that I and all those who are right handed are superior to all those who are left handed. I refuse to be ashamed for my right handedness.

RIGHT HAND POWER!

Psyadam why don't you stop bitching for two seconds and actually read what is being said to you. Nobody wants you to be ashamed for being gay they just want you to realise that pride based on something you have no control over is pointless. If you really wanted homosexuality to receive equal treatment then you should stop treating it as if it is so different. You are a walking stereotype and that is going to hurt your cause more than help it.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 AM   #28
Coatsy

I suppose were I diligent enough to read the preceding posts, I would find that an answer similar to mine has already been posted, but I'm not. So...
I think people use the term 'pride' to refer either to a sense of contentedness, or lack of shame. In a sense, perhaps psyadams is not saying that he is proud of his sexual orientation, but rather that he is not ashamed of it. Many uneducated rednecks still believe that homosexuality is shameful, and people often feel inwardly hateful of what they are. Admittedly, people often have trouble 'coming out', but I think this is not so much due to shame, as much as fear of negative reactions.
Ethnicity/skin colour is a different matter, however; very few people are ashamed of their ancestry, and with ethnicity there is no 'coming out' or braving the negative reactions of others.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #29
leave my name out!

Quote:
skribb wrote
You can't really be proud of your heritage because you're not even part of it. You were never a slave and you weren't alive in those days. This would mean that I can't (or can) be proud of whites because Hitler was white. See what I mean?

Be proud of what you do, not what people of the same skin color did hundreds of years ago.
Funny how I never mentioned slavery, but you did! Eat a dick bitch! In case you forgot the same american government that produced chattel slavery is the same government we have today and racist policies on the state and federal level still exist as well! That's heritage son!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #30
leave my name out!

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
Quote:
leave my name out! wrote
If one of your ancestors happened to be a slaveowner, would you have any less pride?

Now, go schtup your girlfriend.
See above post!